clothing and busking

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
I.D.10-t
antispam: No

clothing and busking

Post by I.D.10-t »

Has any one studied how clothing affects busking? Scientific proof is not needed but just a question if any one has tried dressing up or down and comparing the amounts at the end of the day. (Not talking about costumes like Santa on Christmas, etc.)

Not that I intend to go out and play
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

Are you talkin' quality or quantity? :wink:
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
djm
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by djm »

Sometimes more is better. :wink: Sometimes a LOT more is a lot better. :D

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
DCrom

Post by DCrom »

How about emulating the shakuhachi playing monk with a basket over his head?

I should consider that - I've got a face made for the internet. :D
missy

Post by missy »

it's been OUR experience that venu makes all the difference. And that Cincinnati people in general do NOT understand the whole concept of busking, even when it's a sanctioned event sponsored by the venu.

We got t-shirt that have a definition of what a mountain dulcimer is. People will still come up and ask what "that instrument" is. I don't mind answering questions, but not if I'm right in the middle of the B part of "Whiskey 'Fore Breakfast".

Usually, we just dress comfortable, clean and neat, and let it go at that.
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
Richard Katz

Post by Richard Katz »

When I busk, or perform for that matter, I dress in approriate attire.

Depending on the location, it is either a nice pair of dress slacks, white shirt, tie, and vest or jeans and a t-shirt.

Heck...Seamus and Leo both wore full dress suits when they played.

I have only worn a suit to play once and that was with a symphony orchestra. I wanted to fit in.

The most important thing is to play well, or look and sound like you do, and to seed your tip box, hat, or case with some nicely placed money. I usually throw some ones and fivers in for good measure.

If people don't see any money there already they figure you aren't that good and that no one else has tipped you.

I have made over $45.00 for playing a half hour before. Made for a nice dinner out that evening.

Most of all...have fun and keep some business cards on hand for future gigs!

Richard
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Dress well, not a tux, of course, but err on the side of well.
The danger is that otherwise you will be mistaken for
a beggar, a panhandler, by the public, the police, whomever.
You want to look bright, cheerful, upbeat.

It's showbiz, ya know, so there's no harm in dressing
up for the performance.

Also, of course, dress practical. Sun cover, etc.
emmline

Post by emmline »

Lacking the skill to busk effectively myself, I'll speak from the standpoint of a potential contributor.
My inherent tendency, for better or for worse, would be to appreciate a busker who dressed snappily and uniquely, whether that be period costume, or just something that showed him/her to be an interesting, in addition to talented, performer.
WyoBadger
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: "Tell us something" hits me a bit like someone asking me to tell a joke. I can always think of a hundred of them until someone asks me for one. You know how it is. Right now, I can't think of "something" to tell you. But I have to use at least 100 characters to inform you of that.

Post by WyoBadger »

Interesting topic. The important thing is not what you wear, but how you feel (and thus make your audience feel). The connection between what we wear and how we feel is very real, though I don't really understand why.

When I perform (on the street or on the stage) I lean toward bluejeans, a button shirt, and maybe a vest. I guess I lean toward sort of a slightly old-timey, outdoorsy look.

But that's what I feel comfortable and confident in, and I think that's the most important thing. Here's a saying that rings true:

"People will not remember what you said. Most people will not remember what you did. But they will always remember the way you made them feel."

If I feel good, comfortable, confident, fun and funny, the audience will feel the same way 90% of the time--even if the music is a bit less than I'd like.

So it's sort of like the golden rule applied to clothing: wear whatever makes you feel the way you want your audience to feel. People will feel as comfortable with you as you feel comfortable with yourself, and afterall it's all about making people happy.

One guy's opinion :)

Tom
Fall down six times. Stand up seven.
alurker

Post by alurker »

Something unique and eyecatching is a good move. A hat, or a flower or something else that makes it look like you made an effort. It draws the eye and the potential punters pay a bit more attention to what you're playing. The general poplation is very visually orientated when it comes to buskers. Just check out how much the worst jugglers take in compared to the best musicians :x .

A common trick for the tourist busking scene in Europe is a stuffed toy. That drags in the young kids who haven't the least interest in the music and the parents are so excited that the kids are showing an interest in something other than the telly for one minute, they feel compelled to contribute. Not that that's something I have ever done. (Well, maybe one small bear clipped onto the head of the banjo :oops: )

But I agree with WyoBadger, it's mostly about the aura you project. You gotta look like you want to be there.
scottielvr

Post by scottielvr »

And then there are those for whom clothing is... irrelevant. To wit: Skeleton Man.

:wink:
alurker

Post by alurker »

scottielvr wrote:And then there are those for whom clothing is... irrelevant. To wit: Skeleton Man.
Like I said, the general poplation is very visually orientated when it comes to buskers. Now there's a busker who won't go hungry. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Denny

Post by Denny »

scottielvr wrote:And then there are those for whom clothing is... irrelevant. To wit: Skeleton Man.

:wink:
Ew! That was cute!

I liked the between numbers routine at the alms bowl...
and the leering.
WyoBadger
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: "Tell us something" hits me a bit like someone asking me to tell a joke. I can always think of a hundred of them until someone asks me for one. You know how it is. Right now, I can't think of "something" to tell you. But I have to use at least 100 characters to inform you of that.

Post by WyoBadger »

My word, that's hillarious!

T
Fall down six times. Stand up seven.
Sylvester

Post by Sylvester »

BTW, do you happen to know if there are any regulations for busking in Scotland?

Cheers
Reel
Asturian Air

Audare est Facere