Sunrise Solstice at Stoneheng

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Denny
antispam: No

Sunrise Solstice at Stoneheng

Post by Denny »

Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

What's this obsssion people have with ancient monuments and the summer solstice? :)
Reasonable person
Walden
alurker

Post by alurker »

I'm not sure of the significance with Stonehenge (I think it's something to do with the shadows thrown by the standing stones during solstice), but the passageway into the internal burial chamber Newgrange in ireland was constructed in such a way that enough sunlight only ever penetrates the burial chamber to illuminate it, at sunrise for a few days around the winter solstice. It indicates a certain amount of significance for those who designed and built it back in 3200BC.

<a href="http://www.knowth.com/winter-solstice.htm" target="blank">Link</a>
GaryKelly
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by GaryKelly »

alurker wrote:It indicates a certain amount of significance for those who designed and built it back in 3200BC.
Or a certain amount of pure coincidence and wishful thinking on behalf of onlookers 5200 years later.
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

Our Pagan site had a posting from some body at the BBC who "wanted to follow anyone going to StoneHenge for the Solstice".
Considering that there are rituals going on at Avebury, Rollright Stones and a host of other places, Stonehenge is a little over-exposed.
Watch out for the usual drivel on the "Heaven & Earth Show" on Sunday.

I mentioned this to an aquaintance, saying, "The only people who go to Stonehenge are..."
and he finished for me: "..Idiots?"
It wasn't what I meant, but it was close enough.

I'm going up to Coombe Hill in Buckinghamshire on Saturday Evening for Midsummer day. There's bound to be some interesting stuff going on up there.
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

Spiro Mounds, perhaps the most significant archaeological site in Eastern Oklahoma, has special tours during the equinoxes and the solstices.
Reasonable person
Walden
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

I've been familiar with Stonehenge, Avebury, West Kennett Long Barrow, and many other smaller neolithic sites since I was a toddler.

We used to visit Avebury every year during our summer holidays. There's something very special about the place - less these days now it's more crowded.
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that schwing
SteveShaw
Location: Beautiful, beautiful north Cornwall. The Doom Bar is on me.

Post by SteveShaw »

It wasn't like the picture this morning I hear. Pouring down and a mite chilly into the bargain. It's tough being a druid at times. :D
"Last night, among his fellow roughs,
He jested, quaff'd and swore."

They cut me down and I leapt up high
I am the life that'll never, never die.
I'll live in you if you'll live in me -
I am the lord of the dance, said he!
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

SteveShaw wrote:It wasn't like the picture this morning I hear. Pouring down and a mite chilly into the bargain. It's tough being a druid at times. :D
:lol:

Yes, but that's life in the Earth Magic world. :D
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

SteveShaw wrote:It wasn't like the picture this morning I hear. Pouring down and a mite chilly into the bargain. It's tough being a druid at times. :D
One of our chants goes:

...Celebrate eight times a year,
Bring some candles, bring some beer!
Celebrate in open air,
Bring a brolly and a spare...

(Brolly=umbrella)
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
Whistlin'Dixie

Post by Whistlin'Dixie »

That picture is absolutely gorgeous!

Thanks!

M
hyldemoer

Post by hyldemoer »

Walden wrote:What's this obsssion people have with ancient monuments and the summer solstice? :)
We've got indigenous history of them stateside as well.
Try running a search engine on the words _cahokia_ and _woodhenge.
Tril Bluejacket

Post by Tril Bluejacket »

The photos of Stonehenge and Newgrange are fabulous!

In the novel Ireland, by Frank Delaney, the Storyteller weaves a fascinating tale about Newgrange and how it came to be. (I love the book and know I'll read it again and again.)
"We are part of a symbiotic relationship with something which disguises itself as an extra-terrestrial invasion so as not to alarm us."
-Terence McKenna
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

I was almost disappointed with Stonhenge. I grew up in America
with this vision of huge stones towering overhead, teeming with
unfathomable energies. When I finally got there 2 years ago, it
was kind of... small. Still cool, though, historically speaking. Used
up a whole roll of film on the place. Too bad the owners of the
land (before it became a protected site) didn't take better care...
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

Walden wrote:What's this obsssion people have with ancient monuments and the summer solstice? :)
Actually, some of our California Missions were designed by the Padres to illuminate their altars or other pieces of art at the various solstices as well as reflect certain astronomical features, which shows that even in the 18th century, it was still a big deal. They didn't just plot out a square and lay out the buildings but carefully considered this annual event.

A UC Professor, Ruben Mendoza, has been researching this and giving very interesting lectures about it at historical society meetings and scholarly conferences.

A link with some info [is here]

As for the obsession, it's more of a re-discovery of what was common in the old days, before electrical lighting and lifestyle changes blurred and blotted the passage of seasons.

And, the older I get, the more important the solstices become to me, not as intellectual symbolic concepts, but an intimate part of my ever-decreasing time on earth. It's taken me many years to truly appreciate this longest day of the year and how it makes me feel within the context of the earth's cycles. I have come to resent those short winter days and relish these long summer ones. I feel better, have more energy and feel a sense of hopefulness in terms of personal accomplishment. It's funny, I never would have thought it mattered.
Last edited by The Weekenders on Wed Jun 21, 2006 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
How do you prepare for the end of the world?