Chocolate found to enhance cognitive performance

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
peeplj
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Chocolate found to enhance cognitive performance

Post by peeplj »

http://www.cnn.com/2006/HEALTH/05/24/ch ... index.html

Summary: eating chocolate may not make you permanently smarter, but it stimulates the brain enabling a temporary but very real and measurable performance boost.

Three chemicals are credited for the effect: theobromine, phenethylamine, and caffeine.

--James
djm

Post by djm »

So where does this put people who get headaches and/or migraines from eating chocolate? The report says that these constituent chemicals in chocolate increase blood flow and help control glucose release. Does that mean that those who get headaches have blood circulation problems, or could it be a severe case of mental constipation? Do the migraines indicate an inability to function at the higher levels reported in the test subjects, or could this be a sign of an insidious plot by the Crystal People to prevent us from getting too smart and hoaerh' JAO eja-3jajfka a
u

?

hjsdfa
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Jeferson
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Jeferson »

Given to the right person, at the right time, chocolate can enhance more than merely cognitive performance. :)

Jef
missy

Post by missy »

Jeferson wrote:Given to the right person, at the right time, chocolate can enhance more than merely cognitive performance. :)

Jef

nope.... nuhhuh..... not saying a thing.......

(make mine dark chocolate....)
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

IIRC, you need to consume dark chocolate with a minimum of something around 72% chocolate content for the benefits to kick in.

And I'm a milk chocolate fan. Drat.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

Nanohedron wrote:And I'm a milk chocolate fan. Drat.
"Philistine. Apostate. Bad person." :wink:
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
djm

Post by djm »

Nano wrote:IIRC, you need to consume dark chocolate with a minimum of something around 72% chocolate content for the benefits to kick in.
Perhaps you are confusing the benefits of chocolate as a stimulant versus the benefits of chocolate as a source of antioxidants (which is where the dark chocolate with a minimum of 70% real chocolate comes from). We chocoholics have to keep up on these things to maintain a well-balanced habit.

djm
herbivore12

Post by herbivore12 »

It pains me to say it, but: I really don't like chocolate very much.

For my birthday celebrations growing up, Mom would bake one big chocolate cake for all the normal people, and would make a carrot cake or pound cake for me. I blew out the candles on the chocolate cake, but didn't partake.

I was also so freaked out by Jell-O, as an infant, that once I actually flipped right out my high-chair and onto the floor when a bowl of that wriggly crap was placed on the chair's little tray-thingie. I landed on my head, which probably explains a lot.
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

Nanohedron wrote:IIRC, you need to consume dark chocolate with a minimum of something around 72% chocolate content for the benefits to kick in.

And I'm a milk chocolate fan. Drat.
Nope, if you had actually looked at the article (assuming you didn't) you would have seen this below the headline. I know, with James summary it is hardly worth looking.
The Article wrote:Chocolate lovers rejoice. A new study hints that eating milk chocolate may boost brain function.
Monster

Post by Monster »

herbivore12 wrote:It pains me to say it, but: I really don't like chocolate very much.

For my birthday celebrations growing up, Mom would bake one big chocolate cake for all the normal people, and would make a carrot cake or pound cake for me. I blew out the candles on the chocolate cake, but didn't partake.

I was also so freaked out by Jell-O, as an infant, that once I actually flipped right out my high-chair and onto the floor when a bowl of that wriggly crap was placed on the chair's little tray-thingie. I landed on my head, which probably explains a lot.
Herbivore, would a clown eating a bowl of jello be scary as well?
insert uber smart comment here
herbivore12

Post by herbivore12 »

Monster wrote:
Herbivore, would a clown eating a bowl of jello be scary as well?
Huh?

But yeah. Clowns doing anything are sort of scary.
djm

Post by djm »

herbivore12 wrote:Clowns doing anything are sort of scary.
Especially if they're ....

Killer Clowns From Outer Space

A snippet of the movie theme song, of which nightmares are made: http://www.badmovies.org/movies/killerk ... s-song.wav

djm
TelegramSam

Post by TelegramSam »

The stuff got me through college!

But seriously, I found myself eating frightening amounts of the stuff my junior and senior years. Maybe there was something to it besides general gluttony. Well, that's my excuse anyway :lol:
<i>The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views. Which can be uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.</i>
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

Jeferson wrote:Given to the right person, at the right time, chocolate can enhance more than merely cognitive performance. :)
I don't think "right time" comes into it. Chocolate has been known to even fix the time.
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

djm wrote:
herbivore12 wrote:Clowns doing anything are sort of scary.
Especially if they're ....

Killer Clowns From Outer Space

A snippet of the movie theme song, of which nightmares are made: http://www.badmovies.org/movies/killerk ... s-song.wav

djm
I have to say that, that is probably the funniest horror movie I have ever seen.