At last: Mexican-Irish cuisine!

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

gonzo914 wrote:
Lambchop wrote:
But where's the beef?
If you're talking about "beef" in the very narrow sense of the word, as in "a chunk of meat that was hacked off a cow," then it ain't got any.

But if you mean "beef" in the sense of "ground and boiled nasty bits that were left over after they took all the real meat off the cow, then mixed with pig lips and sheep scrotums and pockmarked skin that was too ulcerated to use for cheap leather," then it's in the gelatin.

Think about it the next time you're sucking down a bowl of red Jello.
I do. But beyond the cheerfully ghoulish pleasure of that, I often think,"What a waste of perfectly good hide glue. Ah, poor Dessert! you could have been a fiddle."
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

Cranberry wrote:It's hidden!

(The Crystal People told ejggbn////)

Gotcha! If your claims of blocking my posts are true, it appears that you are going out of your way to read them.

:P
rayloco
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by rayloco »

wow, i had no idea there would be this much interest in the Mexican- Irish connection!
I thought i had a totally unique idea. i owned and operated a mexican restaurant in albany, ny for 20 years and prior to that i played irish music for a living(i still play on occasion). who else would have that back ground i thought. Then i did some internet research and found out about the Irish soldiers who left the abusive officers (mostly British descended protestants) of the US Army and joined up with the Mexican Army. They were called the San Patricio Brigade. There is a statue in their honor in Mexico City.
While i am overjoyed that everyone is having fun with this (ourselves included) on the more seious side:
But both food and drink and culturally there are similarities: both have wild dance music, sad songs, build with stone and thatch, eat potatoes (native to central and south american and not ireland), when i started looking through reicpes the fish and meat dishes were pretty similar (with the exception of added spices). Both fine tequilas an fine whiskeys are great libations (Jameson's is a long time favorite but i just tired Tyrconnel and it's great and 100% agaves are wonderful) and both peoples are very friendly! We get to serve fun mexican dishes like pork tamales wrapped in banana leaves, tinga poblano, mexican and irish style fish dishes, beef and guiness stew, lamb stewand more and the corned beef quesadillas have become a great succes!
But the biggest thing is i get to put my to loves together in my life. we have lots of Irish music, concerts and seisiuns and more planned!
As far as Troy, NY. Well the greater Capital District of New York State is home to a growing hispanic population including many from southern Mexico like Oaxaca. where we get the inspiration for many of our dishes.The Albany/Troy area is centered at the crossroads of NYC, Montreal and Boston!
We just opened up last October and we eventually will become a recognized center for authenic Irish music in the region as well as authenic mexican and irish food! We will have more and more workshops and concerts. With our areas large Irish-American population groups such as Danu, Solas, Lunasa, Teada, Chieftans play in the area regularly. I still remember seeing the Bothy Band play here many years ago in a small church converted to concert hall. Coming up this June, an Erie Canal barge flotilla will start at our place and travel the Erie Canal with muscians stoppimng off to play at towns along the way! For those of you who don't know one of America's most famous whistle players was Digger O'Dwyer one of the many Irish who built the Erie Canal!!
-ray
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Cool, Ray!

I recall an interview with an Irishman who said that the difference between the Irish and the British is that the former are more Mediterranean in spirit (which spirit would include Latin Americans, I think).
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
rayloco

Post by rayloco »

Anyone passing through the area stop in at our seisiuns on the 1st and 3rd wednedays. we have a special event thursday june 1, with P.V. O'Donnel and others. They are doing a musical tour of the Erie Canal.
brianormond

Post by brianormond »

Fresh baked chilaquile (corn tortillas with green chiles/tomatillo salsa, eggs and grated hard cheese layered like lasagna in a casserole) with Guiness on the side- Mmmm... baked some this morning.

-Flour tortillas work but lack that great corn tortilla scent-

-Its rich but can be modified easily for low fat diet without loss of flavor-with egg substitute, butter spray and use of cheese as a spice rather than a fillling. -Reggiano Parmegiano or Padano both work well with good tomatillo salsa.
-Scratch cooks will want to use chiles instead.

-Haven't found a Guinness substitute-
:)
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

brianormond wrote:-Haven't found a Guinness substitute-
:)
Why try?
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

rayloco wrote:Anyone passing through the area stop in at our seisiuns on the 1st and 3rd wednedays. we have a special event thursday june 1, with P.V. O'Donnel and others. They are doing a musical tour of the Erie Canal.
Hey Ray-- what time is the June 1 event?
BTW-- the following day the musical tour will proceed a tad up the river to Waterford which is where the Hudson and Mohawk rivers join, and the canal begins. The musicians will be on barges which will stop at various places along the Canal to play for the public. They'll be playing in Waterford Friday June 2 from 5:30 to 7:00, and I think there may be some other festival type things going on.
Peebles Island across a bridge from Waterford is a wonderful place for walking. If you're free, this promises to be a great event.
The Busman Whistles Industrial Complex (aka spare bedroom) is about 3 miles from the festival, and if anyone's planning on being here for it I'd be happy to give the grand tour.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
rayloco

Post by rayloco »

hey paul, the start up time for the concert is 7 pm and should evolve into a seisiun later on. For those who do not know about this (most of the world). The Erie Canal was the first "highway" out to the west. It linked up new york city to buffalo and helped the developement and the emigration of the midwest and eventually western part of the country. The Erie Canal was built largely by Irish immigrants (including the infamous whistle-playing digger o'dwyer). I saw a replica of his whistle and it was about 5 feet long. but since digger was huge, he had no problem with it.
Anyway, a bunch of musicians will travel by barge stopping at various towns along the way and play Irish music. Some of the musicians slated are P.V. O'Donnell (pvodonnell.com), the Boys of Wexford and Claudine (mandolin and banjo) from touchstone, George Ward (Erie Canal expert and folksinger and member of Irish group Broken String Band). more info is available on the Jose Malone's Mexican Irish Restaurant website: http://josemalones.com/home.html
rayloco

Post by rayloco »

oops, forgot to mention go to the website http://josemalones.com/home.html and then click on the events page and the subpage button says "Festival on the Erie" and that will get you there.
ray
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

gonzo914 wrote:Mmmm -- frito pie -- another of nature's perfect foods.

AAAAAAAUGH! I'd forgotten all about Frito Pie. I know what I'm having sometime this week!!!!!