A note from Dale

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Dale
The Landlord
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

A note from Dale

Post by Dale »

Well, all of us who are board veterans will likely agree that this past week has been one of the weirdest chapters in board history. I admit that I am still struggling to understand it all. I think many contributed to the mess and I certainly did when I vented my frustration by deleting threads, establishing a short-lived forum, and so on. It's not been our finest hour. It's had its share of short-tempered responses, sarcasm, bizarre and indirect communication and lapses in manners. It has reminded us of the range of personalities among board members. It has not been the finest hour on the moderation end, either. It's been hard to know how best to respond to it all.

I have some worry that the board may have grown to the point that its body is too big for its brain(s) and that large boards just can't maintain the charm of smaller boards. We may be facing some hard choices such as (a) moderate more strictly with the inhibition of free expression which comes with that or (b) moderate less, and compromise the Rule of Civility which we've tried to maintain throughout.

At this point, I can only offer a few suggestions:

1. Please remember that it has always been true that little is asked of people who contribute to the board--But civility is required.

2. I suggest people be a bit less impulsive about posting. Give your idea a second/minute/hour to breathe a bit.

3. Try not to be to quick to be offended if your posts get countered in some way. See #2.

4. If you are "moderated," try to trust that our fallible moderators are trying to work in the interest of the community. Lately, it has been difficult because (speaking for myself) there has been a lot of confusion and mystery and that's required more judgment calls.

Thanks,

Dale
missy

Post by missy »

Dale - I've said it before, and I'll say it again.....

You do a wonderful job putting up with all of us "unique" personalities here. And I think you, Joseph, and the others should be commended and thanked a LOT more then we do.

If I've contributed to the problem, I am truly sorry. If I've contributed to the peace keeping, it's only what should be expected of any board member.

And sometimes, I don't have a CLUE of what is going on, but still get enjoyment from reading the posts.

Carry on carrying on.......
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

The only real problem I saw (I'm sure there were others that I wasn't aware of, this is just from my viewpoint) was the initial problem of the lack of civility toward Mr. Anderson. I think perhaps that was a one time sort of thing that came about because of some feelings left from past problems...I don't know, it was strange and very regrettable and I feel very weird and confused about it.

I thought the moderating was brilliant. You were very firm when the problem was discovered. You did not humiliate anyone. People saw right away that they had not been behaving well. Then others starting coming in with comments. What could have turned into a meltdown was turned into a sort of funny situation---the new forum, Mr. Anderson's humorous posts, the new threads.

I think allowing people to say some funny and weird things allowed them to work out things without a big rancorous fight developing. Angry and accusing comments were usually bracketed by good-natured or funny ones so the negative feelings were more diffused. I'm not blaming people who felt they should condemn the behavior, but at some point an explosion could have happened.

I know I will work on the impulsive posting thing. That is clearly a very good idea. I am sorry for the problems caused for the moderators. I am committed to the Rule of Civility, even though I broke it this week. I would hate to see anything change in the forums.
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
djm

Post by djm »

Well, I just want to point out that ... er .... um .......

(Oh, darn these impluses! Drat!) :x

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

I agree...this is one time moderation worked like it is supposed to.

Dale took a situation that started nasty and was quickly getting worse, and disarmed it, helped us all have a bit of a laugh over it, and then helped us to move on past it.

I don't think any changes are necessary because of it: fact is, I would take this whole incident as proof that the current setup works quite well.

Now there is a bit of a flip side for Dale, as I'm sure when these situations arise he gets put in some extremely uncomfortable positions. Skillful moderation, like any form of crisis management, really sucks for the one having to do the job.

Dale, I think you and the other moderators do a fine job.

--James
Claus von Weiss

Post by Claus von Weiss »

peeplj wrote:Dale, I think you and the other moderators do a fine job.

--James
Indeed! :thumbsup:
Claus
SteveShaw
antispam: No
Location: Beautiful, beautiful north Cornwall. The Doom Bar is on me.

Post by SteveShaw »

I seem to have missed out on this stuff, probably because I was consumed by April foolery. Heheh. Apart from the impression that the controversial forum has gone a bit dull lately (saying that could be just the thing to liven it up :D ), everything seems great to me. It ain't my whole life by a long chalk but I like it here! :)
"Last night, among his fellow roughs,
He jested, quaff'd and swore."

They cut me down and I leapt up high
I am the life that'll never, never die.
I'll live in you if you'll live in me -
I am the lord of the dance, said he!
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

Oh, my! I MISSED ALL THIS????? When? What happened?

The injustice of it all! I go to Orlando for a week and . . . everything happens without me.

Well, at least I can say this . . . you can't blame me this time!!!!! Ha!
pop

Post by pop »

can i be a moderator :party:
FJohnSharp
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

I THOUGHT I saw a forum out of the corner of my eye, then when I went back, it as gone.

I miss all the cool stuff. I should quit my jobs.
"Meon an phobail a thogail trid an chultur"
(The people’s spirit is raised through culture)

Suburban Symphony
spittin_in_the_wind

Post by spittin_in_the_wind »

I missed it all too...it's so nice to be oblivious! :)

Robin
Unseen122
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

Dale, those are very good suggestions. It has not been our finest hour.

I have two things that I would like to add, which I have learned through experiences being on both the offensive and defensive side.

If you see the civility code being violated, don't post anything, foward the thread to one of our hard working moderators.

And.

If it is against you, send a PM to the person who wrote it. It is no use trying to defend yourself in public. Chances are you will make a fool out of yourself. Although, there is still the aftermath which is when other people start voicing there opinions on the person who was insulted. Which takes away from the board disscussion. Personally, I would rather talk Whsitles than my opinion on a particular board member.

Avery LeVine
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

You are daft to do this for free.
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

Maybe his day job is worse! :boggle: :o :boggle: :o
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
SteveShaw
Location: Beautiful, beautiful north Cornwall. The Doom Bar is on me.

Post by SteveShaw »

jim stone wrote:You are daft to do this for free.
Hey, Jim, I'm not offering to pay the bugger! :x

:lol:
"Last night, among his fellow roughs,
He jested, quaff'd and swore."

They cut me down and I leapt up high
I am the life that'll never, never die.
I'll live in you if you'll live in me -
I am the lord of the dance, said he!