Dog owners... do you let you dog in the room when.....

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
The Weekenders
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Dog owners... do you let you dog in the room when.....

Post by The Weekenders »

Seeing Dub's parrot thread reminded me of something and I didn't want to hijack it.

Although I grew up around dogs, we always had 'em outside as they were ranch dogs so I have never lived with a dog in the house. When I have been around dogs of friends, the kind of dogs that are really smart, like Labs or Alsatians for example, I have always noticed that they seem to really watch the humans' faces with very knowing eyes.

Now to a hypersensitive paranoid like me (I know, it's a huge surprise to many of you), I kinda feel a bit creepy to think somebody is watchin' when doing intimate things, like usin' the loo or NOT sleeping in the bedroom, if ya know what I mean.

So my two-bit question to provide levity and opportunities for you hard-core dog lovers is, do you lock yer dog out of the bedroom or bathroom at CERTAIN times? I mean, even if the dog just lays down and falls asleep, does it bug you??

America wants to know.. Well, I sorta do, in case I actually ever allow the rest of the family to own a dog in my house, which I have refused for years (mostly because it would be lonely during working hours and I would be the one who had to clean up after it, take it to vet, etc etc)....

Jibes away!
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
missy

Post by missy »

Our boxers tend to sit there and do the heavy sighing routine whenever THEIR sleep is disturbed. They have no problem with banging against the bed, however, when THEY decide it's time to get up in the morning.

They won't go near the bathroom (they hate baths, so it's always a chore to get them in there).
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
Wanderer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

Doesn't bug me...but I suppose it might if I got goosed with a cold nose..
scottielvr

Re: Dog owners... do you let you dog in the room when.....

Post by scottielvr »

The Weekenders wrote:Now to a hypersensitive paranoid like me (I know, it's a huge surprise to many of you), I kinda feel a bit creepy to think somebody is watchin' when doing intimate things, like.... NOT sleeping in the bedroom....
Oh, sure, my dog probably watches me when I'm napping on the couch.... only because he considers it his, and he's waiting for me to go away. Doesn't bother me a bit. :wink:
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

My dog leans over the end of the tub when I'm having a bath and licks my wet hair.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
Chiffed

Post by Chiffed »

s1m0n wrote:My dog leans over the end of the tub when I'm having a bath and licks my wet hair.
Glad he's not... well.... nevermind. :wink:
Happily tooting when my dogs let me.
Random notes

Post by Random notes »

The only time the bathroom thing was a problem was when we had guests and an inadequately closed door was nosed open while the occupant was in no position to close it.

We had a number of dogs over the years and getting up on the bed was generally acceptable. Consequently, the bedroom was off-limits during "special time" lest one or more wondered what the fuss was all about and decided to jump up for a closer look.

Roger
Non omnes qui habemt citharam sunt citharoedi
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Special time on the bed would pique my dog's curiosity to the point where he would have no recourse but to jump up on the bed to discover what was going on, and if he could play too..... needless to say, the door remains closed during this time.

When I am home alone, I often wee wee with the bathroom door open. He doesn't seem the least interested in my activety.
DCrom

Post by DCrom »

The cat my wife and I had the first few years of our marriage liked to sleep in the bathroom - we had a padded covers for the toilet tank and seat, it was quiet, and (usually) dark. Combine this with a rather lazy Himalayan cat (imagine a Persion with Siamese markings) and you usually had to move a large mound of silky cat hair containing a small, comatose, cat before you could use the room for its intended purposes.

This used to really creep my wife out. She'd emerge from the shower, busily towelling her hair - then notice a pair of unwinking blue eyes staring at her naked body. I thought the cat had been woken up by the sound of the shower and was curious about the vigorous towelling. *She* was convinced the cat had a dirty mind. :D
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

Our dogs are always around. No problem. They are really only intrested in what goes on in the kitchen where the food is.
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
emmline

Post by emmline »

The dog is not interested in bathroom behavior, but the cat always comes in during that first morning wee to announce that's she's up and ready for breakfast. But I have never felt a sense of modesty around any pets, nor did I around very small children--at least until their personal senses of modesty began to emerge.
As for the other thing--the dog knows that the alpha member of her pack (that would be me,) will give her the look and she will have to jump off the bed anyway, so it is very infrequent that she tries to hop on the bed when there are two people in it. The only recent exception to that was at 3 am last week, because there was a scary thunderstorm and her need to be between our heads was irrepressible. Usually there is no need to shut her out, so whether she is out or in depends on where she is at the time the door gets shut.
raindog1970
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by raindog1970 »

I work with a guy who learned a painful lesson about shutting dogs out of the bedroom at 'certain times'.
His girlfriend's chihuahua apparently mistook his 'dangly bits' for Kibbles 'n Bits! :o
Regards,
Gary Humphrey

♪♣♫Humphrey Whistles♫♣♪

[Raindogs] The ones you see wanderin' around after a rain. Ones that can't find their way back home. See the rain washes off the scent off all the mail boxes and the lamposts, fire hydrants. – Tom Waits
Random notes

Post by Random notes »

raindog1970 wrote:His girlfriend's chihuahua apparently mistook his 'dangly bits' for Kibbles 'n Bits!
YEEEEEHA!!!!!!

I'll bet that didn't do much for his focus....

Roger
Non omnes qui habemt citharam sunt citharoedi
Charlene

Post by Charlene »

The dog's not allowed on the bed anyway, so if he's in during the "special time" he's asleep on the floor and ignoring the strange thrashings and noises. If it's really hot he comes into the bathroom where the floor is cooler, but he doesn't care what the people are doing.

The cat goes out at night and it's been a long time since any "afternoon delight" so she doesn't get in the way. However, if someone is using the bathroom where her litter box is and has the door closed, she tells us very loudly what she thinks of that.
Charlene
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

:lol: :lol: Dog owners are kewl...thanks for stories. Dana's anecdote about the wife is kinda what I meant. They just STARE...of course, that was a cat.

I also sorta imagined that the dog might think that it's playtime when actually, only two were invited...

I think it's an interesting thing, the interface of domestic pets and people. .
I had cats for years and they just basically wanted a human for heat source, no matter whether the human was in motion or not. So I would banish 'em and they would then stick their paws under the door and scratch. Just enough annoyance to cause one to "lose some focus."
How do you prepare for the end of the world?