Starting grapes

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Walden
Chiffmaster General
antispam: No

Starting grapes

Post by Walden »

I'd like to start a grape vine in my yard or garden. I've plenty of things to grow a vine on. I want to grow some table grapes. I live in an area where they grow well. My grandparents always had vines, and their biggest problem was that birds liked grapes as much as they did.

When and how should I go about starting a vine?
Reasonable person
Walden
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

Plant some trees that fruit when the grapes do so that the birds will go to them rather than the grapes. For instance, mulberries are bounteous in fruiting and birds love them.

Companion plant hyssop or sage with your vines. Research the work of Professor Szekely for more info.

A 40 day grape diet supplemented with lettuce juice may be helpful for liver and eye problems.

My very best wishes for your vines of life. It is a good Christmas dreaming. May your New Year tendril.
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

I think you'll probably do better buying an established plant from a local nursery or online from some place that can sell you a variety suited to your location and climate. Sprouted seeds don't always produce good fruit bearing plants (not just grapes). I believe that many grape vines are grafts-- the desired fruit type grafted onto a hardier root stock. You're talking about a long term investment here, so it would be best to buy something that will give you the best chance for a good harvest.

Here's info from a quick Google search...

http://www.garden.org/foodguide/browse/fruit/grape/1383
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
djm
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by djm »

I would agree with BrewerP on getting an established plant to start off with. Besides, how else would you start off a seedless grape vine? :D

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

From what I have heard, it is not a quick turn around. About two years before an edible crop, and with the Grafted, many years before they taste “normal”. I (out of selfishness) suggested to my parents to grow them years ago. I can only imagine what those grapes would taste now.

Although, I must always ask, have you looked into local fruits and vegetables?
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
missy

Post by missy »

all the above is great advice......

But if you decide to plant concord, let me know. My mom makes the BEST concord grape pie.
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
cowtime

Re: Starting grapes

Post by cowtime »

Walden wrote:I'd like to start a grape vine in my yard or garden. I've plenty of things to grow a vine on. I want to grow some table grapes. I live in an area where they grow well. My grandparents always had vines, and their biggest problem was that birds liked grapes as much as they did.

When and how should I go about starting a vine?
Check out your state ag office on line. They can probably steer you toward varieties that are best for your area. What grape to plant can be dictated by your "microclimate" too. Don't plant in low areas if you have mountains, hills or slopes. The cold air at night will pool in low areas just like water, which can be a problem during frosts. If you are on a slope, go about half way up so you are above the lowest point, but below the highest. Eastern exposures are best. Breezy sites are good because the air flow helps with disease control. Cold hardiness is a big factor. When we planted our vineyard we went with French hybrids because of their cold hardiness. Native grapes have some advantages. We planted some Norton Cynthianas(native) that were much more disease resistant than the pure French or the hybrids. Ours were all wine grapes, but you could eat them too and they tasted great, just had seeds.

Disease prevention, molds, insects, etc. is the biggest challenge you will face. Spraying on a strict schedule is mandatory. Otherwise you waste your time and efforts.

We bought our vines(2yrs old) from a nursery in Arkansas called Pense Nursery. They are good to work with and I would recommend them to you. Since they are close to you, I bet you could contact them and they would be a big help as to what variety to plant.

On the otherhand, grapes will grow like nothing I've ever seen. If you know someone with a vine you like, and they can assure you that it is not diseased, here's what you do-

When they prune the vine this winter or in early spring, get them to give you some clippings. Work up some ground and put down some kind of barrier cloth for weeds and then stick the clippings in the earth. You will be suprised at how many will root on their own. Leave them for a year and you will have vines to transplant to their permanent location. When you transplant, do it like you do tomato plants. Dig a hole, put a bit of dirt around the roots, water, then rake the rest of the dirt around and water again. You won't believe how these things grow. It's amazing.

I think the biggest mistakes most folks make is in not pruning, or not pruning enough, not spraying for insects and the various diseases, and not training the vines when they are young. They need to be pruned back drastically in the winter/early spring-before the sap starts to rise or they "bleed".

Vines can live for many many years. They will try to produce fruit the first year but you need to remove all the little grape clusters the first year.Don't fertilize. The second year you can let them have half of what they want to produce. A small bit of fertilizer. The third you can let them go. Fertilize. By doing this you will develope a strong plant since all it's energies will be spent on growing initially, instead of making fruit.

If you train your vines, prune them, pull the leaves so air can circulate and sun can do it's thing, you'll have less problems with disease and grapes that grow where you want them, and you can easily harvest them. Plus, they are pretty. The work is peaceful work.

We planted a few table grapes in our wine grape vineyard- Reliance variety. They did fine, but as you said, birds liked them. Some netting can be a big help for that.
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

Do you have racoons in your neighbourhood?
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
Lorenzo

Re: Starting grapes

Post by Lorenzo »

cowtime wrote:When they prune the vine this winter or in early spring, get them to give you some clippings. Work up some ground and put down some kind of barrier cloth for weeds and then stick the clippings in the earth. You will be suprised at how many will root on their own.
Just to add to what cowtime said, the area surrounding me has grown from about 5 wineries to over 60 in just a few short years. We have about seven varieties of grapes gowing on our farm here in the valley and a couple others at the cabin in the foothills. When I was taking horticulture class, I started a vinyard by going out in the community and clipping branches off existing grape vines. Placed the cut end in a bucket of sand and water until they rooted (a few short months) and then transplanted these starts into the soil. We had a huge harvest 3 years later and remodeled a cellar on the property :wink: Vines grow anywhere in good climates, but like cowtime says, find a SE slope for best vinyard production.
Tyler
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

After grapes, walden, you can start your own winery!
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
NancyF

Post by NancyF »

Yes, Walden it takes a long time, and you have to battle the othere creatures for them, but you know there aint nothin' like home grown herbs and vegetables.

Last time I grew grapes I lived in the Texas Panhandle. We just covered our few vines with bird netting and it worked.

Only two things that money can't buy and that's true love and home grown... tomatos (thanks JB).

NancyF
Nancy F

Life's too short to work harder than you must.
spittin_in_the_wind

Post by spittin_in_the_wind »

Will blueberries or huckleberries grow in Oklahoma? I started some plants here a few years ago, and last year they finally gave us a pretty good crop. Grapes would probably take a while, but it's better than never, right? Bird netting should keep out some of the critters.

Robin
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

s1m0n wrote:Do you have racoons in your neighbourhood?
If he doesn't now, he will- and turkeys, possoms and deer.
John Foster West
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

Tyler Morris wrote:After grapes, walden, you can start your own winery!
Yeah, if he's got a bunch of extra $$$$ and lots of energy- talk about hard work!, plus an absolute love of constantly dealing with government paperwork.
John Foster West
Flyingcursor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

cowtime wrote:...plus an absolute love of constantly dealing with government paperwork.
Maybe he could just make wine for personal use and Uncle Sam can keep his mitts off.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm