fatigue (update, again)

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
cowtime
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by cowtime »

Don't stress out too much over the lumpy thyroid. I've got a bunch of the things(only one can be felt, but ultra sound found several). I had a fine needle biopsy which showed nothing to worry about. The nice thing about this was the pathologist did the whole procedure and read it immediately. No sending it to the lab wait. She was in Johnson City, TN, not too far from you. I think her name was Robinson. Since then, I have twice yearly check-ups with the ENT doctor and an ultra sound.

Also, you may need to see an endocrinologist. I did and he determined that I did not need thyroid supplement.
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
Jack

Post by Jack »

Thanks everybody.

Today was kind of awful for me. I don't know what happened, it just felt like everything "dropped another level" and, even though I didn't think it was possible, I got to feeling even tireder.

I'm falling behind on all my classes, and in work. I couldn't even walk up the stairs all at once today. I had to go up one floor, then rest a while, then repeat.

Tomorrow I go to find out what my 6th and latest blood test said, and the day after for the ultrasound of my throat. Then I may have to have a needle-biopsy.

The doctor mentioned the possibility of me leaving Berea for treatment, but I'm not even entertaining that possibility.
missy

Post by missy »

Still thinking good thoughts and prayers for you, Cran.....
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
spittin_in_the_wind

Post by spittin_in_the_wind »

Well, I hope all goes well for you. Just remember that "leaving Berea for treatment" and "leaving Berea and not coming back" are two very different things. You really have to be commended for your commitment to college, Cran. You could take a 1 semester leave of absence if necessary, it's been done before; but that's really jumping the gun since you don't yet have a diagnosis. Keep plugging away, I'm rooting for you.

By the way, congratulations on getting into Berea! That's just awesome!

Robin
Jack

Post by Jack »

spittin_in_the_wind wrote:You could take a 1 semester leave of absence if necessary, it's been done before
Actually, I really can't. My father was just released from prison a couple weeks ago, I have no bedroom at home, and my family is just not in a position to take me back. So if I have to take a leave of absence, I don't have anywhere to stay. I don't want to overshare again so I will stop there.
buddhu

Post by buddhu »

Strewth, Cran. You must feel like the universe has really got it in for you. :(

Like spittin_in_the_wind said, no diagnosis yet, so no point in borrowing trouble. May turn out that things are nowhere near as bad as you think they may be. We're all still rooting for you.

I'm just sorry I can't be of any practical help, rather than just sending good wishes.
And whether the blood be highland, lowland or no.
And whether the skin be black or white as the snow.
Of kith and of kin we are one, be it right, be it wrong.
As long as our hearts beat true to the lilt of a song.
Flyingcursor
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

Me too.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
Jack

Post by Jack »

I saw the doctor again this morning and had two more blood tests done (my blood has now been taken 8 times, all together).

She said she's really puzzled over all my symptoms and doesn't know what's wrong.

My throat ultrasound is tomorrow, and I see her again Monday to go over the results.

She said that, even without a diagnosis, I will most likely be leaving Berea for a medical leave, and I know she's right, but I don't want to go back to West Virginia because 1) I have no transportation to the doctor there and 2) My father is out of prison and I don't want to live there.

Mid-terms are approaching, I am so tired and sick I haven't washed clothes in a week, and I very well may have cancer, but I don't want to leave.

I had a sort of breakdown last night in the arms of one of my friends. I just cried for hours because I'm so frustrated and upset that all this is happening to me, right as I was beginning to enjoy being alive. I don't want to leave.
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

izzarina wrote:Cran, please know that thyroid issues (if indeed that is what the problem is) are VERY treatable, including thyroid cancer. I was diagnosed with thyroid cancer almost 4 years ago, and had my entire thyroid removed 3 1/2 years ago. I am now on Synthroid which replaces the hormone my thyroid should produce...I will be on it for the rest of my life. Remember that a growth doesn't necessarily mean cancer. I had a cyst on my thyroid before we even knew about the cancer. The cyst was as large as an egg, and they only found the tumor when they did an ultrasound on the cyst. I won't bore you with the rest of the boring details unless you want me to...email me if you want, ok? Please know that you are in my prayers.
Yeah, Cran-- what she said.. I've had TONS of patients over the last 28 years with thyroid problems, and the vast majority of them came through it just fine. Even my sister's cat did well after radioactive Iodine treatment for hyperthyroidism. Hang in there bud...
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
avanutria
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

If you do end up having to leave uni temporarily on a leave of absence, you might still be able to live in uni housing.

There's also a branch of Craigslist in Lexington (35 miles from Berea) and you might be able to find a room to rent there.

http://lexington.craigslist.org/

When I rented rooms from people in uni I often negotiated a lower rent rate by agreeing to do certain chores around the house.

Edited to add: I did some investigating in the Berea website and found this:
PERSONAL AND MEDICAL LEAVES
Leaves prompted by unexpected or urgent personal or medical circumstances for part of a term or for a whole term (or both) will be considered emergency leaves. Requests will be directed to Gus Gerassimides in the Labor and Student Life Office, who will make a recommendation to the Provost’s Committee.
http://www.berea.edu/academicservices/a ... licies.asp

You might try contacting this Gus fellow and finding out the details that such a move would dictate.

http://www.berea.edu/vplsl/people/gusgerassimides.asp
Charlene

Post by Charlene »

Hang in there, Cran.
Charlene
buddhu

Post by buddhu »

How's it going, Cran?

Couldn't help noticing you have a happy avatar going on at the moment. :)
And whether the blood be highland, lowland or no.
And whether the skin be black or white as the snow.
Of kith and of kin we are one, be it right, be it wrong.
As long as our hearts beat true to the lilt of a song.
Jack

Post by Jack »

buddhu wrote:How's it going, Cran?

Couldn't help noticing you have a happy avatar going on at the moment. :)
I had an ultrasound on my throat. I felt like I was going to choke to death during it, but it went ok. It didn't look like the lump there was cancer, but the doctor hasn't gone over it yet.

I got my labor (work) suspended for 2 weeks, which means I don't have to worry about getting all my hours in while I'm undergoing all these tests and running back and forth between class and the hospital.

I began praying more deeply, which is something I've neglected more and more as I've gotten sicker but it keeps me centered and as level-headed as possible (I'm not very level-headed by nature anyway).

I go back Monday for the results of my seventh and eighth blood tests in 10 days, and to review the ultrasound on my throat.

I don't have class Monday or Tuesday due to Reading Period, so I'm using these days to get caught up on my class work.

I still don't have a diagnosis, but I'm feeling better.
carrie

Post by carrie »

Wishing you well, Cran!

Carol
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Me too. Jim