philosophical/theological question

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Walden
Chiffmaster General
antispam: No

Post by Walden »

Cranberry wrote:
Walden wrote: I know people who hate Bart Simpson, yet don't believe he really exists.

I came out of a short hiatus just to say that. Carry on.
No, no...Walden. You need to post often. I've been wondering if you were around...you need to post more or the board looses a very special element of its existance. :)
Thank you.

My point here is that a person may not believe in God's existence, and dislike the abstract concept. The atheist may feel like his sincere beliefs are being trampled if someone is praying on his behalf. I am sure not all atheists feel this way, but I can see how some might would.

As in the case of the sect mentioned above, who practice a form of posthumous baptism. As a baptized Christian I do not want to be baptized into some other religious system after I'm in the grave. I would go so far as to put that in my last will and testament.
Reasonable person
Walden
Random notes
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Random notes »

First, I am an atheist. Long time, hard core. And there have been times when I would have resented the idea that someone would pray for me, but probably out of sheer orneriness. Hey, I got problems and you offer mumbo-jumbo? Thbbbt!, as Bill the Cat might say.

But I have gotten older, and if not wiser at least more mellow.

And I do believe that prayer has a value.

I believe that the idea that an internal state, prayerfulness, has an effect on outside realities is a fallacy but it does seem to help some people who need to believe that they have control over something that is beyond their control.

More importantly, to my thinking, it does have an effect on the one doing the praying. Perhaps it is like meditation in that it helps lead to a clearer understanding of problems and ways to deal with them. Sometimes it leads to a realization that nothing can be done and that resignation and acceptance is the way, the tao that leads to the best possible outcome.

In all sincerity, I offer this: pray for yourself. Seek the understanding that you have come to this forum to find within yourself. You may find something that you can do to help him through his trouble or that there really is nothing you can do but be a friend. Either way, you can find an answer to your desire to help.

That's my tuppence, and easily worth half that.

Roger
Non omnes qui habemt citharam sunt citharoedi
gonzo914

Post by gonzo914 »

jsluder wrote:Unless you know the person to be religious and accepting of prayer, wouldn't it be more prudent to simply pray for him (or her) in private without ever telling him you're doing so? (Ref: Matthew 6, verses 5-6.) That way, you can do what you feel will help him, and he won't be insulted by what he feels is an intrusion into his spirituality (or lack thereof).
And excellent idea. You can pray for your friend quietly without ever letting him know about it, and then when he solves his problems on his own, you and god can take credit for it.
Crazy for the blue white and red
Crazy for the blue white and red
And yellow fringe
Crazy for the blue white red and yellow
fancypiper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fancypiper »

Last edited by fancypiper on Tue Sep 06, 2005 7:50 pm, edited 4 times in total.
mukade

Post by mukade »

'The people who play the flat pipes usually have more peace of mind. I like that.'
- Tony Mcmahon
fancypiper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fancypiper »

:oops: Try them now.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

emmline wrote:
Wombat wrote:Atheism isn't a cognitive defect that needs to be explained away as due to immaturity or something like that.
Now, Wombly...it sounds like you're getting a little sensitive yourself!

Calling the response emotional is not the same as calling it a cognitive defect or an immature response.

Plus, I'm not patronizing the guy. I don't know him. I'm just taking an objective guess, like everybody else. If he were sitting here I would tend to keep my mouth shut because I can be tactless and I know it. Plus, my real-time response speed tends to be a little slow.
I think it's equally probable I'm just exasperated. :wink: After all, you didn't take up my challenge. Walden, for example, has admitted that he wouldn't want to be dragged into the rituals of some other religion after he was dead and that is precisely what I would expect a Christian to say.

As for myself, I have been agnostic since the age of about 13. I was never an atheist, let alone an aggressive one. Neither was I an aggressive or zealous agnostic and I would think that this comes across in my posts on religious matters. Very rarely have I had occasion to be exasperated in the way I was pretending to be just now, but to achieve this I had to adopt a patronising attitude to at least one Christian, namely my mother. When I announced that I could no longer continue in the church she was very upset to put it mildly. But I could no more fake belief than I could fake disbelief so this was one of those things that had to be seen through. Now, although she eventually came to accept the absence of outward observance on my part, she continued to talk as though I were still a Christian right up to her death. Since she didn't actually try to reconvert me or anything like that, it did get easier to live with over time. But, fairly obviously, I was the one exercising restraint because it is not very nice to treat a person as though they believe a whole raft of things you know perfectly well they don't believe. It was very easy to think that, in a very real sense, I was a stranger to my own mother.

Cran asked a question which is very interesting. But I think that the answer is, as always in cultural clashes, to retreat to common ground. Pascal's wager really is a dreadful piece of reasoning and nobody should be party to it. But both Cran and his friend can accept that heartfelt best wishes are appropriate and that is common ground. I am utterly mystified why that would not be enough and why Cran couldn't see that straight away.

At the risk of being patronising myself, I'll try to explain why some believers would not think that it is enough. You'll have to ask yourselves whether this is how you were thinking. You might reason as follows. I believe in God and the efficacy of prayer and so I have to believe that it is rational to do so. If I thought it were equally rational not to believe in God I'd not believe. So how can I help not think that the poor athiest boy needs help or will grow out of it or some such thing? The answer is that equally rational people, starting from their very different experiences, can each reach opposite conclusions through equally rational thought processes. Of course Christians are going to feel special. But if a Christian genuinely wants fellowship with a non-Christian, it is important to be willing to check that attitude of being uniquely right at the door. The same, of course, goes for the athiest. It doesn't require insincerity; it just requires a bit of sophistication.
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

chas wrote:Might it be just as disrespectful of his beliefs to tell him you're praying for him as it is of him to specifically ask you not to pray?
chas, I have been troubled by this comment and so I would like to ask you about it. I don't feel I am being disrespectful to people who say they are going to pray for me if I ask them not to (my earlier post discusses the occasions on which I might do that) in a polite way. I respect their right to practice their religion and to pray for whomever would like to be prayed for. I would never concern myself with their religious beliefs at all if they did not bring me into a discussion by saying they would pray for me. I'm just wondering if we are talking about the same thing here? :)

I mean, yes, I would be showing that I didn't share their beliefs. But I would be doing that in the politest way I could.
perrins57

Post by perrins57 »

mukade wrote: If you know your friend is an atheist, then why bring religion into it?
Why do you feel the need to tell him you are praying for him?
:D Mukade
I can see some logic in this but here's a viewpoint that may help those without faith to understand why those with it, bring it up.
1) Its a biblical command - "Go make Disciples of all nations"
2) Imagine you had the secret of winning the national lottery. Surely the first thing you would do is tell your family and friends the secret so they could benefit as well. Christians believe they have the secret to eternal life, even better than winning the lottery! Any Friend with this kind of knowledge, who doesn't share it with you, is not much of a friend at all.
3) Psychologists have proved that prayer can increase the chances of sick people getting better. Ok, so they concluded that it was due to the emotional support the sick people received and the possible placebo effect that sick people who believed in prayer may generate - but however you explain it, it works!
"Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

(Name's Mark btw)
dwinterfield

Post by dwinterfield »

Cran

Time doesn't allow me read all the prior comments, so if I'm repeating, just move on. I did skim them.

Another reason might be more about a person's sense of self and identity. For some people it is very important to exercise some degree of control over all activities that have anything to do with their being.

Examples might be "I don;t want someone to sign my name to a political petition without my consent." Even though they might agree with the intent of the petition.

or "I don't want someone to sign my name to a birthday card." Even though I liked the person whose birthday it is.

The response might have had nothing to do with religion and everything to do with private boudaries we all set for ourselves. The person might have as likely said "I don't want you to call a doctor for me." or "I don't want you use a fictionalized version of my story to write a thoughtful op ed peice for the newspaper."
Jack

Post by Jack »

dwinterfield wrote:Time doesn't allow me read all the prior comments...
It doesn't allow me to, either. And it's sad because they're actually directed to me.