Hair-trigger?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!

Does Dale have a hair-trigger on his delete button?

Dale is deleting threads too quickly
13%
Dale is very careful about which threads he deletes
57%
You have no right to even be asking this question
30%

Total votes: 46

SteveShaw
antispam: No
Location: Beautiful, beautiful north Cornwall. The Doom Bar is on me.

Post by SteveShaw »

Tyler Morris wrote:
SteveShaw wrote: He's already over here - we're separated by the Bristol Channel only, but I ain't scared of him cos he's Welsh so he can't be more than five foot three. :lol: Steve
Check the name out Steve-o...'m Welsh origin and I'm 6'2"....
I'll come twist yer knickers iffen ye don't watch yer language! :P :lol: :D

Yes but you don't live in Wales. Short stature is environmentally-related. You got out just in time. :D

Steve
"Last night, among his fellow roughs,
He jested, quaff'd and swore."

They cut me down and I leapt up high
I am the life that'll never, never die.
I'll live in you if you'll live in me -
I am the lord of the dance, said he!
TomB
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by TomB »

[quote="anniemcu
One thing that I have noticed, and may well be the crux of the problem, is that the particular thread set up for "Political...and sometimes religious" is no longer getting much use at all... perhaps we need to take most of these recent discussions back there. I know that some issues are seen as so important that they *need* to be posted seperately, but not nearly as many as are now out in the wider board.[/quote]

Yeah, but the issue then was too many diverse topics in one thread. That was one of the reasons that Dale created the Pub, I thought. I don't mean to suggest he created it for political/religious discussions, but just that the OT stuff wouldn't clog up the other boards.

Now, Dale has suggested we back off on starting political threads, so that is what we shoiuld do, I believe. The difficulty, of course, is that threads that don't start out as political often turn that way later.

All the Best, Tom
"Consult the Book of Armaments"
Bloomfield
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Bloomfield »

Blackwood wrote:
But, I have come to understand how a substantial number of people find all the political threads bothersome
Dale, I'm at an intellectual loss here. It is so simple: If they are bothered by them why do they read them? Nobody forces anyone to read a single political post or thread. Anyone is free to start threads of their interest.
I think this "they can ignore threads if they like" doesn't work past a certain point. I mean, people come here to read threads, not to ignore threads. If there are only a few threads to ignore, it's fine: those are easy to ignore (like a sticky political/religous thread), and the character of the place isn't changed. But once there are more than a certain number of political threads, I think just ignoring them ceases to be a workable option.

The reason is that there is a certain tone to (most) political threads that is serious, a bit antagonistic and argumentative, and as a result stressful and polarizing. I think a big part of the chiffboard has always been light-hearted banter and mutual supportive coddling---that sort of thing becomes harder merely because there are many antagonistic and argumentative threads (which may or may not be politicial... but often are; although you could observe the same effect when we had a stream of antagonistic threads about particular whistles or whistle makers).
There are threads all the time I find not really interesting, so guess what? I'm not reading them, it doesn't bother me, I don't force anyone to take them down, live and let live. So what is the motivation of people who claim to be bothered? It just doesn't make sense to me.
I think it's characteristic (and an illustration of what I just said about aggressive and antagonistic tone), that you refuse to allow a distinction between an appeal for voluntary self-restrain based on insight into a shared vision for the chiffboard on the one hand, and being "forced" on the other.
I suspect there is something else going on. Since these threads are obviously producing an emotional utility I would have to deduct that the people claiming to be bothered are obviously reading the political threads, which means they DO have an interest in them. I suspect they don't like what they read, meaning they don't agree with what is said politically. For whatever reason they either don't want to or can't argue the core of the discussion premise, but since they disagree they want to shut the discussion down, either by attacks, or claiming to be bothered by the discussion itself (which again raises my original point).

I may be wrong here, but right now this seems to be the most logical explanation to me, if there are others I'd like to hear them.
I think you should realize that you'll always find a "logical" answer you want to hear by supposing that people are incapable of telling you what they mean. If you feel that you know better and that others who tell you they are "bothered" really mean that they disagree with your opinions, you'll never need to listen. No matter how many times people tell you "no, it's not that I disagree (or even care about your opinion), it's just I don't want that much political discourse one way or another" they'll always be wrong, right? Because really, they do disagree, which you realize but they don't (or if they realize it, won't admit).

(The funny thing about it is that considering people incapble of saying what they mean is an odd basis for seeking to engage in discussions with them. And this is a discussion board, after all. This is just an aside.)

I would suggest two things: First, Actually listening to what people are trying to say to you. Second, accepting that things are often a matter of degree (that is, the following position is not nonsense: I don't mind people bumming a smoke off me (do it myself sometimes), but if I am giving away 15 smokes a day, it's too much; doesn't mean there is anything wrong with bumming smokes).
/Bloomfield
perrins57

Post by perrins57 »

SteveShaw wrote:
Tyler Morris wrote:
SteveShaw wrote: He's already over here - we're separated by the Bristol Channel only, but I ain't scared of him cos he's Welsh so he can't be more than five foot three. :lol: Steve
Check the name out Steve-o...'m Welsh origin and I'm 6'2"....

Yes but you don't live in Wales. Short stature is environmentally-related. You got out just in time. :D

Steve
I'm over six feet tall actually, (well standing on a sheep I am).
SteveShaw wrote:Would you care to elaborate upon how giving a thought-out, reasonably measured response constitutes "getting my knickers in a twist?" (assuming that's what you meant...)
You getting twisted again!
"Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

(Name's Mark btw)
TomB

Post by TomB »

Well, there is certainly a thread on the board now that if I were the moderator, and had said what he has already said, that I would delete in a New York minute.

Tom
Denny

Post by Denny »

perrins57 wrote:I'm over six feet tall actually, (well standing on a sheep I am).
yo Mark, I wanna see a picture...

Can you Welsh dudes actually stand on a sheep?
TomB

Post by TomB »

Denny wrote:
perrins57 wrote:I'm over six feet tall actually, (well standing on a sheep I am).
yo Mark, I wanna see a picture...

Can you Welsh dudes actually stand on a sheep?

I'll be they can juggle while doing so, even!
Tyler
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

perrins57 wrote:
SteveShaw wrote:
Tyler Morris wrote: Check the name out Steve-o...'m Welsh origin and I'm 6'2"....

Steve
I'm over six feet tall actually, (well standing on a sheep I am).
SteveShaw wrote:Would you care to elaborate upon how giving a thought-out, reasonably measured response constitutes "getting my knickers in a twist?" (assuming that's what you meant...)
You getting twisted again!
Y'know, Mark, what Steve doesn't know is that I'm planning a trip to Wales late next year...but, shhhhh, dont tell him, we'll just keep it a secret and do a drive-by knicker-twisting on 'im!

Oh, shoooot...did I say all that out loud? :P
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

Standing on a sheep? :really:
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
Denny

Post by Denny »

jsluder wrote:
That's just Baaaaad!
jGilder

Post by jGilder »

anniemcu wrote:One thing that I have noticed, and may well be the crux of the problem, is that the particular thread set up for "Political...and sometimes religious" is no longer getting much use at all... perhaps we need to take most of these recent discussions back there. I know that some issues are seen as so important that they *need* to be posted seperately, but not nearly as many as are now out in the wider board.
I understand you're trying to be conciliatory, Annie, but I've never understood this single thread concept. Why don't we have a sticky thread for "Fluff & Humor" and another for "Prayers & Personal Concerns"? I'll tell you why -- because it's impossible to follow multiple topics on a thread like that. To confine a massive topic like politics with religion on one thread is unmanageable. Why isn't there a sticky thread for Flutes & Whistles"?

It's obvious that there are people who are uncomfortable with the political threads, but they're drawn to them despite their apparent aversion They are the ones sending PMs to Dale complaining about them. The people who are comfortable with political threads aren't sending PMs to Dale proclaiming how wonderful they are -- so Dale just hears the squeaky wheels. There are threads on this board I have no interest in and I never read them. If I responded to them the way that some people are responding to the political threads, I would look at them anyway and then attack the person posting them, and then complain to Dale. But I think it's easier to just ignore them -- what a novel idea.

~~~

To get back to the Old West theme, it's as if this guy came to town that brought up some subjects in the saloon that some of the town's people didn't like, so they met down at the sheriff's office and complained and are pressuring the sheriff to run the stranger out of town. Then, down at the saloon there's a group sitting around the table with the stranger enjoying the conversation. Then a man who doesn't like the topic but has been eavesdropping comes over with a couple of other fellas and says, "We don't like those topics in this here saloon." And the others with him say, "YEAH!" And one of the barmaids says, "Couldn't they start their own saloon?" Then the man decides that he and the others should throw the stranger and his friends out of the saloon. A fight breaks out and someone runs to get the sheriff.
SteveShaw
Location: Beautiful, beautiful north Cornwall. The Doom Bar is on me.

Post by SteveShaw »

jsluder wrote:
Behind? :wink: (Well someone had to say it - c'mon!) :oops:

Steve
"Last night, among his fellow roughs,
He jested, quaff'd and swore."

They cut me down and I leapt up high
I am the life that'll never, never die.
I'll live in you if you'll live in me -
I am the lord of the dance, said he!
Tyler
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

SteveShaw wrote:
jsluder wrote:
Behind? :wink: (Well someone had to say it - c'mon!) :oops:

Steve
Didn't they make an entire industry of pushing sheep around from behind in Cornwall? :P :lol:
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

jGilder wrote: Why isn't there a sticky thread for Flutes & Whistles"?
Perhaps because there is an entire forum for Flute-related discussion, and an entire forum for whistle-related discussion. And one for UPs, and one for ITM....
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

TomB wrote:[quote="anniemcu
One thing that I have noticed, and may well be the crux of the problem, is that the particular thread set up for "Political...and sometimes religious" is no longer getting much use at all... perhaps we need to take most of these recent discussions back there. I know that some issues are seen as so important that they *need* to be posted seperately, but not nearly as many as are now out in the wider board.
Yeah, but the issue then was too many diverse topics in one thread. That was one of the reasons that Dale created the Pub, I thought. I don't mean to suggest he created it for political/religious discussions, but just that the OT stuff wouldn't clog up the other boards.

Now, Dale has suggested we back off on starting political threads, so that is what we shoiuld do, I believe. The difficulty, of course, is that threads that don't start out as political often turn that way later.

All the Best, Tom[/quote]

Umm... actually, that thread is right here *in* the pub now http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php?t=18472 ... though you are right about it having been the very catayst in forming this forum ... I meant in recent use, it's been neglected, while many topics have been posted out in the 'rest' of the pub that might have been readily received within that ongoing thread.... that's why, BTW, that thread was made a "Sticky".
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com