How many books do you read?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!

more than 20 a month
8%
more then 10 a month
12%
more than 5 a month
22%
2 to 4 each month
22%
about one a month
24%
about one every three months
4%
one or two a year
4%
less than that--I spend all my reading time online :)
2%

Total votes: 49

BillChin
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by BillChin »

The mind expansion topic got me thinking about this. On average, how many books do you read? You can also describe the genre or purpose (e.g. I read mostly mysteries, or techical books, or school assignments, or work related books). A third item would be where you obtain your books, local bookstore, library, online bookstore, friends, family, school.
Tyler
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

I read everything from A.C. Doyle to automotive technical manuals...at one of my jobs they just pay me to sit here and read. Obviously, I get a lot less done when I'm posting here :D . I can usually get through two or three solid books a week, but that comes from being able to nail 700wpm in my sleep (I see words as characters instead of groups of letters, used to make typing a beast until i trained myself to do it right).
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
peteinmn

Post by peteinmn »

Reading books is vastly over rated. I get everything I need to know by reading and agreeing with Bloomfield's posts here. :lol:
Shut up and drink your gin! - Fagin
Will O'B
Location: The Other Side Of The Glen (i.e. A Long Way From Tipperary)

Post by Will O'B »

I once thought about reading a book. But the urge quickly went away.

Will O'Ban
So long as men can breathe, or eyes can see,
So long lives this, and this gives life to thee.

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

I guess I read mostly what I think of as "literature", although I've learned to avoid anything written by someone who is called "a writer's writer". Those books I already know I will not be able to make heads or tails out of. These books can once in a while have a really big effect on a person. They take you into other lives, make you aware of other ways of looking at things, show you how people are the same and different.

I also read plenty of goofy fiction, especially when I'm feeling a bit low or stressed---mainly mysteries, some popular novels, etc. Those would be reading mainly for the distraction of a good story I think, sort of like some people might watch TV or go to the movies. Although I have found some very good books in this category.

Then there's the odd sort of history, technology, whatever, non-fiction for laymen. Like "Steel, Germs and Guns", if that was the right title. That was really a good book.

I mostly get my books new at bookstores or through amazon.com. I am addicted to buying books and it is quite a problem actually. I have a large pile of books I have read in my bedroom that is teetering dangerously. And then various boxes, bags, and little piles of books I want to read that I have to negotiate through to get into bed. My dad keeps me supplied with mysteries by shipping me a box occasionally.

I can't imagine life without reading.
Rosee

Post by Rosee »

I read anything I can get my hands on, but tend toward science fiction and fantasy. I try not to read much when I'm in school since I frequently won't put a book down until it's finished, but I make up for it by reading two or three books a day when I'm on vacation.
moxy

Post by moxy »

Recently, I've been reading books written by Esther and Jerry Hicks (Abraham stuff), Hofstatder, Nathaniel Branden (Six Pillars of Self-Esteem), Elaine Aron (Highly Sensitive People), and short stories by Russell Banks. Oh, and before all of those, I was reading Plato's Republic.

And I've been reading and talking about Seth as well (Jane Roberts) both in books and on the internet.

These books have all been tossed at me by one friend in particular, and I'm finding them all quite fascinating. Several of them have ended up on my bed, where I browse through them randomly - and I'm hoping some of it gets absorbed while I sleep!

And I carry one of them in my bag with me to read on the bus on the way home. So I'm reading all these books all at once.

It's fun, too!
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

Last month's reading was Collapse by Jare Diamond, and Lessons of Terror by Caleb Carr.

This month: American Gothic; A Life of America's Most Famous Painting by Steven Biel.

On average I read everything and anything that strikes my fancy, not to say all the book reviews that I have do for aquisition in the library and the three to four newspapers that I go through every day.

MarkB
Everybody has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.
lixnaw

Post by lixnaw »

:boggle: i already have a book!
BillChin

Post by BillChin »

On average, I read about a book a month. I have kept that pace for many years. Sometimes I read two in a month, sometimes none. The vast majority of the books are from the library, the new book section in particular. A few books are given to me. If I have the book it is more difficult to finish. The library due date gives me a deadline. I like to type up a brief report on each book.
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

Back before I was (allegedly) a Responsible Adult, I was on the pace of 1-2 a week. Since I've had to cook, clean, do yardwork, raise a child, learn the flute, do various carpentry, painting, and woodwork projects, I'm probably at a scant book a month. I still enjoy readint the right book, but living is more fun, interesting, and educational than reading these days.

My wife and I both read the Jane Austen Book Club last winter, so I've been on another Jane Austen kick. Last book was Sense and Sensibility (I think for the third time, and the best yet -- new insight into the characters and the sarcasm every time). I'm taking a little break and reading Jane Eyre now. It's pretty good, but not in the same class with Ms Austen.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
rebl_rn

Post by rebl_rn »

I have read over 140 books so far this year. Mostly, I read romance (of all types) and I keep track of those, 131 read so far. And a few more I started reading but didn't finish. I also read quite a few books of other genres, I don't keep track of those, but I'd say at least 1 a month of those.

I don't watch much TV and spend the time reading instead.
Wash your hands. Cough and sneeze in your sleeve. Stay home if you are sick. Stay informed. http://www.cdc.gov/swineflu for more info.
Jack

Post by Jack »

I voted "more than 5" but it very well might be more than 10. I don't really count.

I read mainly non-fiction but I tend to read more than one book at a time. Right now I'm reading Genesis, a Biblical Co-dependency book, In a Dark Time (http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php?t=30986), and a couple other smaller booklets. I am going to finally start reading George Fox's Journal in full in the next couple days.

I find most my books in yardsales, thrift stores, and sometimes eBay. I seldom buy books new. They're too expensive. And I give a lot away after I read them.
Charlene

Post by Charlene »

My husband owns a used book store, so I borrow whatever I want from there, with a few exceptions. Mostly fantasy and historical fiction (i.e., Clan of Cave Bear type), sometimes mystery, sometimes biography, sometimes horror. Not crazy about romance novels, westerns, or the Tom Clancy type.

But I do occasionally buy a new book. I just finished "Amelia Earhart's Daughters" about the first women pilots, which I bought at the Museum of Flight in Seattle last week. Currently reading "Random Harvest", with a Larry Niven si-fi waiting its turn.

Haven't been to the library in ages. Cal gets the new books in his store faster than the local library gets them.
Charlene
Berti66

Post by Berti66 »

I read more than five books a month and most of them are from our local library.........though I tend to scour the secondhand bookshops on a regular base, and bookmarkets if there are any going on.
The topics are mostly non fiction like things about cooking (hobby) and travelling and as far as the fiction part goes that varies depending on mood.

For the moment, I have FINALLY gotten into harry potter (gosh would never have thought it) and am now in the second half of book 2 so far.
It is an easy read I have to say though the first half of book 1 I really doubted if I should carry on, having seen all the movies already (spoilers).
The other topics vary but all are related to my hobbies: so you could bet it would be an irish author, irish in the subject, or about food in any way (culi-lit) or horses.....
The newest discovery has been garth nix, mister monday.....another fantasy genre book.

This doesn't mean, though that I don't read any classic authors: arthur conan doyle, charles dickens being two of them

AHHH what would life be like without books!!!!!!
berti