For all those fans of European cars...

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Tyler
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

amar wrote:
peteinmn wrote:
amar wrote:Well, i drive a Fiat. Yes. I do. It's blue. Not pink. A Punto HGT. 130horses under its hood. looks similar to this fella.

Amar

Unless Fiats have vastly improved since my day, you will live to regret it! Sell now and get yourself a scooter!

Best :)

they have. :)
I'm actually interested to see if Fiat might come back to the States anytime soon. I doubt it, just because they made such a terrible reputation for themselves here in the 60s-70s. I know Peugeot and Renault have plans to come back to the US market in 2006-07, and Citroen might do so under a different label...
The first Peugeot to hit the states might very well be an engine...I have heared rumour that the MINI CooperS will have the 903s Turbo engine in it instead of the GM built Brazilian engine they have now.
We really need good European cars here (I mean the good, inexpensive, gas sipping neato ones! No offense, Henke, Saab and Volvo are great, they're just pricey!)
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
Tyler
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

Here's a link to a little bit of history on the Morris Mini
http://www.autoswalk.com/morminmin.html
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
peteinmn
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by peteinmn »

The Renault Dauphine, last seen in the US in the 1968 model year was an even worse joke than the Fiats. They could barely give away the remaining inventory. Some new ones sat on the car lots for several years after they stopped importing them. One Chicago dealer even went so far as to offer a free one if you bought another car at MSRP.

Peugeot was not a terrible brand, not great or even good but not really bad either. Their best product was a diesel version during the gas crisis. In fact, today there are Peugot turbo-diesel engines in some domestic commercial truck and motorhome RV applications.

Saab and Volvo are indeed expensive and are beginning to show signs of tinkering with by the US auto companies that have large ownership positions in them. This tinkering is felt by most gearheads to be detremental.

Don't know a thing about Henke.
Shut up and drink your gin! - Fagin
Tyler

Post by Tyler »

Here's another fun link for lovers of British cars....
http://www.classic-british-cars.com/
Tyler

Post by Tyler »

Another fun link...
Story in Forbes magazene titled "British Cars We Wish They Still Made"
http://www.forbes.com/2002/05/27/0527feat.html
Click through all 8 pages.
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

Tyler Morris wrote:No offense, Henke, Saab and Volvo are great, they're just pricey!
peteinmn wrote:Saab and Volvo are indeed expensive ...

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
daveboling

Post by daveboling »

If you're looking to tweek a Chevrolet, especially a Corvette aficianado, remind them that the aluminium cylinder heads on their prize were manufactured in Alabama, at a facility owned and operated by FIAT :twisted:
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

Tyler Morris wrote:I know Peugeot and Renault have plans to come back to the US market in 2006-07, and Citroen might do so under a different label...
I guess it was to Renault's misfortune, before, that they got mixed up with the American Motors Company, which was, sadly, in its last breaths.
Reasonable person
Walden
scottielvr

Post by scottielvr »

Walden wrote:I guess it was to Renault's misfortune, before, that they got mixed up with the American Motors Company, which was, sadly, in its last breaths.
I, for one, shed no tears for the demise of AMC. My first car was an AMC Matador, which I promptly dubbed the Mastodon. It was a hideous green land-barge; my father made me buy it because he thought it was safe. It tried to kill me. I traded it in for a Toyota. :wink:

Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

scottielvr wrote:My first car was an AMC Matador, which I promptly dubbed the Mastodon. It was a hideous green land-barge; my father made me buy it because he thought it was safe. It tried to kill me
And you don't find that sad? :)
Reasonable person
Walden
Henke

Post by Henke »

jsluder wrote:
Tyler Morris wrote:No offense, Henke, Saab and Volvo are great, they're just pricey!
peteinmn wrote:Saab and Volvo are indeed expensive ...

Not a lot of people do acctually! :lol:
scarhand

Post by scarhand »

my favorite automobile is the peugeot, though . . . i 'specially like the engine on the "mayomobile" :)
the brave do not live forever,
but the cautious do not live at all.
perrins57

Post by perrins57 »

When you're ready to move up in the world and try the finer things in life, buy a Welsh car!
http://web.ukonline.co.uk/members/paul.clark3/club.htm
"Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

(Name's Mark btw)
perrins57

Post by perrins57 »

scottielvr wrote:
Clearly you haven't heard of the Austin Allegro, clearly the worst car of all time. No brakes, rusting body, slow unreliable engine, gearbox mounted in runny custard, likewise the steering and a drivers seat made of blancmange, likewise the suspension. Its only saving grace? Because they rusted so quickly it stops people collecting them and trying to call them classics.
"Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

(Name's Mark btw)
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

Mine in the early 80's, GT6 mk.3 Although mine was white, reg.no. HPJ 666K, and was fitted with Carlos Fandango wide wheels.

I sold it for 500 quid when two of the six cylinders went low compression and I got posted to Ascension Island (where I tonked around in an MGB GT).

When I got back, I bought a Fiat X19. What a pile of junk that was!

Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner