Pub talk

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
djm
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by djm »

Ooh, Steve, you are really rubbing it in. These were the beers of my youth. I loved Double Diamond, Worthington E, and, if there was nothing else on tap, even Watney's. I hated the watery stuff made in Canada, and we could only get the locally made-under-license Guiness Export, which has a horribly bitter aftershock. I can't drink any more (probably saved millions of dollars), but the heavier ales were always my favourites.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
SteveShaw
antispam: No
Location: Beautiful, beautiful north Cornwall. The Doom Bar is on me.

Post by SteveShaw »

djm wrote:Ooh, Steve, you are really rubbing it in. These were the beers of my youth. I loved Double Diamond, Worthington E, and, if there was nothing else on tap, even Watney's. I hated the watery stuff made in Canada, and we could only get the locally made-under-license Guiness Export, which has a horribly bitter aftershock. I can't drink any more (probably saved millions of dollars), but the heavier ales were always my favourites.

djm
Blimey, the Canadian stuff must have been well watery! You could get good beer on tap in those days but, lamentably, I hadn't developed my discriminatory powers sufficiently. Newcastle Exhibition and Boddington's Bitter were stars in the firmament I recall. I spent a year in the Black Country and experienced damn fine beers brewed by Banks and Holden's breweries too. Good grief, you know how to get a chap going...! :)

Steve
"Last night, among his fellow roughs,
He jested, quaff'd and swore."

They cut me down and I leapt up high
I am the life that'll never, never die.
I'll live in you if you'll live in me -
I am the lord of the dance, said he!
perrins57

Re: Pub talk

Post by perrins57 »

jsluder wrote:I recently bought a bottle of Hobgoblin ale (by Wychwood Brewery, in the UK), mainly 'cause I liked the bottle. :roll:

I finally got around to drinking it yesterday, and I must say I really liked it. Good, strong flavor without being too bitter. Highly recommended.

:thumbsup:

(Hey, this is the Pub...)
You drink Real Ale, play Penny Whistle and have a beard? All you need now is a Mk1 Land Rover and a sheep dog.
"Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

(Name's Mark btw)
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

3 out of 5, reporting for duty. My dad has both herding dogs (we use them for cattle, though, but same breeds) as well as guard dogs.
Rovers seem pricey, tho.
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

perrins57 wrote:
jsluder wrote:I recently bought a bottle of Hobgoblin ale (by Wychwood Brewery, in the UK), mainly 'cause I liked the bottle. :roll:

I finally got around to drinking it yesterday, and I must say I really liked it. Good, strong flavor without being too bitter. Highly recommended.

You drink Real Ale, play Penny Whistle and have a beard? All you need now is a Mk1 Land Rover and a sheep dog.
Well, I have a sheep guard dog (Great Pyrenees). Does that count? :D

The closest I've got to a Land Rover is my Jeep. (Weeks is right; Rovers are too pricey.)
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

[quote="djm"I hated the watery stuff made in Canada[/quote]

When I was young and foolish (no need to take THAT any further, thank you! ;) ), we used to drive into Ottawa to buy a case of Canadian beer because it was way better than the American swill we had. Not to mention the fact that you could go to Hull and buy at 18 and OUR drinking age was 21. It used to work great until we came across the border with a case of something or other that was Canadian and we got stopped. The Border Patrol wasn't too keen on our taking it all the way over the border, so they confiscated it, much to the chagrin of my then boyfriend (now husband). He still swears they only took it because they wanted free beer. :lol:

And that's my humorous story for the night....night all! :)
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
djm

Post by djm »

Strange .... I'm from Ottawa, and I don't remember seeing you there. :D

Yes, American beer is a bit of a joke. What is it, 2%, 3% alcohol? Canadian beer was only 5%, so we would cross the border into Quebec for Bras D'Or at 7%. Taste wasn't an issue in those days. Drinking age was 18, but in Quebec they never checked. :wink:

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Whistling Willie
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I love whistling and I have been a member of this forum for many years now.I have found it very informative and helpful over the years that I have been here.

Post by Whistling Willie »

This is a very nice blonde beer that I had quite a few of in Belgium last year :D

"Obsessed is a word the lazy use to describe the dedicated"
SteveShaw

Post by SteveShaw »

Whistling Willie wrote:This is a very nice blonde beer that I had quite a few of in Belgium last year :D

Isn't that flavoured with orange peel and coriander?

Steve

perrins57

Post by perrins57 »

jsluder wrote:
perrins57 wrote:

Well, I have a sheep guard dog (Great Pyrenees). Does that count? :D

The closest I've got to a Land Rover is my Jeep. (Weeks is right; Rovers are too pricey.)
Wow, suddenly you've gone up in my estimation (not hard :wink: ) you’ve got a Pyrenean Mountain Dog! I used to have one, Psameticus III (Sam) of Brynhafod. What great dogs they are, mine was particularly large; his father weighed over 12 Stone! It took two people to wiegh him. Ours only got to about 10 1/2 stone - but still big. I believe the American Pyrenees are a bit smaller than the European Pyrenean, but lovely temperament. Do you find your dog takes you for a walk on the way out, and you have to drag it home?
What about some picks? Makes a change from people's "cute" babies!
"Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

(Name's Mark btw)
SteveShaw

Post by SteveShaw »

perrins57 wrote: I believe the American Pyrenees are a bit smaller than the European Pyrenean, but lovely temperament.
I thought the American Pyrenees were called The Rockies. :lol:

Steve

Flyingcursor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

Down ta the store t'other day I asked ole Jim Bob when he wuz gonna get hisself some fancy import beer. Now I ain't tryin to hack on PBR or Milwaukee's Best Ice or nuttin but ever now in then a fella wants to do a little sompin special ya know?

Well yesterday I went in for my usual daily case of 40's and a tub of crawlers and guess what?
Ole Jim Bob done came threw with a whollip.

He sent away clear outside the county line for the finest import I ever saw.

I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

djm wrote:Strange .... I'm from Ottawa, and I don't remember seeing you there. :D
That's surprising, since it seemed that every time we went, we also got lost in the middle of the city :lol: But I wasn't wearing my green dress...that might have made a difference :wink:

We went bar hopping one night (although I don't think we did get lost that night :roll: ) in Hull. I didn't have an actual ID (no driver's license at that time) so I brought along my driver's permit as my ID. It was quite the humorous scene, I must say....some 19 year old girl (me, obviously) going up to the bouncer type guy in front of the bar, telling him at about 100mph a second WHY she only has a driver's permit, and that it's the ONLY ID she has, but she really, REALLY is 19 and honestly old enough to go into the bar to drink, and she promised to be good when she was in there.....the guy must have thought I was cute because he rolled his eyes, and just waved me in. I started to say something else, and he told me that if I didn't go in now, he wasn't going to let me :lol: I really can be a ditz when I want to be :D
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

A nice smooth stout from Down Under... yummy.
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

The Workman's Friend

When things go wrong and will not come right,
Though you do the best you can,
When life looks black as the hour of night -
A pint of plain is your only man.

When money's tight and is hard to get
And your horse has also ran,
When all you have is a heap of debt -

When health is bad and your heart feels strange,
And your face is pale and wan,
When doctors say that you need a change,

When food is scarce and your larder bare
And no rashers grease your pan,
When hunger grows as your meals are rare -

In time of trouble and lousy strife,
You have still got a darlint plan,
You still can turn to a brighter life -

Flann O'Brien (Brian O'Nolan)

Words of Wisdom :wink:

Slan,
D.
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats