A Bizarre Story Regarding Wal-Mart

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
peeplj
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

A Bizarre Story Regarding Wal-Mart

Post by peeplj »

http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/07/23/walmar ... index.html

This is just bizarre. Wal-Mart had what I think was a pretty clever and decent idea, so of course they killed it. :roll:

--James
jGilder

Post by jGilder »

I think if you're going to "flirting sections" in Wal-Mart you might as well have a sign around your neck that says "loser." Image
Walden
Chiffmaster General
antispam: No

Post by Walden »

jGilder wrote:I think if you're going to "flirting sections" in Wal-Mart you might as well have a sign around your neck that says "loser." Image
Heh heh heh... you're probably right about that!

I do agree with Jim's broader point about Wal-Mart getting rid of anything good, though. Seems to have been their corporate policy for the past decade or more.
Reasonable person
Walden
mvhplank
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by mvhplank »

jGilder wrote:I think if you're going to "flirting sections" in Wal-Mart you might as well have a sign around your neck that says "loser." Image
Ugh. Did you mean that to sound like elitest West Coast snobbery? I hope not. Among people who have nothing in particular "wrong" with them except where they were born and raised, Wal-Mart is (or may seem like) a reasonably diverting place to hang out.

Quoting the story:
"I'm disappointed," said Firebaugh, 63. "Where can someone over 40 who doesn't smoke or drink or go to bars meet someone?"
M
Marguerite
Gettysburg
djm

Post by djm »

"I'm disappointed," said Firebaugh, 63. "Where can someone over 40 who doesn't smoke or drink or go to bars meet someone?"
If you don't smoke or drink, why bother? :twisted:

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Unseen122
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

:lol:
jGilder

Post by jGilder »

mvhplank wrote:
Ugh. Did you mean that to sound like elitest West Coast snobbery? I hope not. Among people who have nothing in particular "wrong" with them except where they were born and raised, Wal-Mart is (or may seem like) a reasonably diverting place to hang out.

Quoting the story:
M
It's not "elitist West Coast snobbery," whatever that is; it's just common sense. I'm not saying that you can't meet Mr. or Mrs. right at Wal-Mart, but to go to "flirting sections" in hopes of meeting someone indicates that your life's movements could be dull and self-absorbed. If you want to meet someone it's best if it's in context with your life, who you are and your social activities. Most people I know that have successful long-term relationships weren't "looking" when they met.

As for smoking and drinking -- here in CA you can't smoke in the pub, and no one forces you to drink alcohol. Many of my friends have met their significant others at our local sessions and such. If you don't play in Irish sessions there might be other related musical events that C&Fers might enjoy and stumble onto someone enticing. The odds of meeting someone interesting and with mutual interests beyond just "meeting someone" at a Wal-Mart flirting section seems kind of slim to me though.

Also, for someone like me it wouldn't work very well. The minute I showed up anywhere near one of the flirting sections everyone would evacuate. I just hope they stock those sections with interesting merchandise.
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

My perception of most Wal-Mart denizens, at least here, is that they are there only between bouts of drinking and smoking in bars . . .

Target might be more appropriate . . .

I know a lady who had great success flirting in Petsmart, but you have to own a dog for that to work. Budgies don't seem to be sexually inspiring . . .
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

Lambchop wrote:My perception of most Wal-Mart denizens, at least here, is that they are there only between bouts of drinking and smoking in bars . . .

Target might be more appropriate . . .
There is no one, where I live, who doesn't shop at Wal-Mart. The only Targets or Kmarts are in the Tulsa area, which is two counties away. Wal-Mart has been in the community for well over 30 years, and as long been the only full-service retailer around.
Reasonable person
Walden
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

It could be the beard...

Slan,
D.
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
jGilder

Post by jGilder »

dubhlinn wrote:
It could be the beard...

Slan,
D.
You don't have to go to flirting sections in Wal-Mart to be a loser with a big beard and ridiculous mustache though.
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

jGilder wrote:
dubhlinn wrote:
It could be the beard...

Slan,
D.
You don't have to go to flirting sections in Wal-Mart to be a loser with a big beard and ridiculous mustache though.
..... just can't get no.....
Slan,
D.
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

Hmm...I can just imagine the radio/teevee commercials. They already "profile" success stories; people who start as "associates" and work their way all the way up to "assistant Managers."

They want to put that Neil Clark Warren outta business...

As for the final question about where to meet people who don't drink or smoke, they might try church. The social hour after services are pretty nice occassions.
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

The Weekenders wrote: As for the final question about where to meet people who don't drink or smoke, they might try church. The social hour after services are pretty nice occassions.
This answer perhaps serves for some, but there should be other ways to make new friends and form new relationships.

My own experience with church-formed friendships has been pretty negative; they are your friend for just as long as you are active in their church. That's not real friendship, that's a form of prostitution.

--James
perrins57

Post by perrins57 »

Did Wal-Mart operate a buy one get one free option? Perhaps the complaints came from those labelled as past their sell by date?

peeplj wrote
My own experience with church-formed friendships has been pretty negative; they are your friend for just as long as you are active in their church. That's not real friendship, that's a form of prostitution.
This comparison is a tad extreme perhaps, unless they paid you to go to church?
"Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

(Name's Mark btw)