I have a mandolin!

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
brewerpaul
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

Walden wrote:The mandolin is probably the greatest, most versatile instrument which ever received the gift of strings. I mean that.
I really love mine. The only problem is the cramped fingerboard which I find makes chords really difficult. I'm thinking octave mandolin here...
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
rh
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by rh »

i've played mandolin for a long time, but this year i started playing tenor banjo and now the mandolin fretboard seems really really small...

different scale lengths and nut widths can make a difference though... even a 16th of an inch more can make the neck feel much more playable.
Doug_Tipple

Post by Doug_Tipple »

When I was a child, for several years I took lessons on the guitar using the plectum or flat picking style of playing. After learning to play the fiddle as an adult, I found that I was able to pick up the mandolin and start playing the fiddle tunes that I knew without much of a learning curve at all. Because of the simple organization of the mandolin fingerborad, I now mostly play mandolin tunes by ear, much as I do with singing or whistling. Having small fingers, I don't feel that the mandolin fingerboard is overly compressed. I appreciate the fact that I can reach all of the seven frets in the first position without having to move my hand much. This allows you to play the mandolin about as fast as you can pick, and when you learn to pick notes on both the up and down strokes, you can really go to town.

Also, besides being a fun instrument, the mandolin is cute, I think.
Redwolf

Post by Redwolf »

It does have a high cuteness factor, that's for sure. Best of all, the sound of a mandolin makes me smile...even when it's just me trying out a couple chords playing it. It's a happy instrument, I think.

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
Jack
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Jack »

Walden wrote:The mandolin is probably the greatest, most versatile instrument which ever received the gift of strings. I mean that.
I agree!
OutOfBreath

Post by OutOfBreath »

rh wrote:i've played mandolin for a long time, but this year i started playing tenor banjo and now the mandolin fretboard seems really really small...
...and why is it that the biggest, burliest, member of the band, with hands the size of canned hams, seems always to be the one playing the mandolin? :)
John
-------
The Internet is wonderful. Surely there have always been thousands of people deeply concerned about my sex life and the quality of my septic tank but before the Internet I never heard from any of them.
rh
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by rh »

OutOfBreath wrote: ...and why is it that the biggest, burliest, member of the band, with hands the size of canned hams, seems always to be the one playing the mandolin? :)
i resemble that remark, actually... :lol:
one guy i jammed with said "wow, you got fingers like sausages, but you sure do get around on that little thing!"

BTW that reminds me of one of my favorite group shots of recent bluegrass vintage:
thems some big boys JD's got in his band...
OutOfBreath

Post by OutOfBreath »

rh wrote: thems some big boys JD's got in his band...
It's all that fried chick'n, biskits 'n gravy, pork rinds, and bacon fat...

Good band though.
John
-------
The Internet is wonderful. Surely there have always been thousands of people deeply concerned about my sex life and the quality of my septic tank but before the Internet I never heard from any of them.