Colors, colors, colors

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Band Nerd
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Colors, colors, colors

Post by Band Nerd »

The other day I was thinking, "Wouldn't it be cool to discover a new color?"

What would happen if there was a new primary color, like a brand new color that nobody had ever seen before? How would you describe it? I know that it's impossible, but it is still fun to think about!
Martin Milner

Re: Colors, colors, colors

Post by Martin Milner »

Band Nerd wrote:The other day I was thinking, "Wouldn't it be cool to discover a new color?"

What would happen if there was a new primary color, like a brand new color that nobody had ever seen before? How would you describe it? I know that it's impossible, but it is still fun to think about!
Being red-green colourblind, I can see lots of colours nobody else can see. Unfortunately I also can't see some colours everyone else can. It's like my own personal Twilight Zone.
jbarter

Post by jbarter »

Martin Milner wrote:Being red-green colourblind, I can see lots of colours nobody else can see. Unfortunately I also can't see some colours everyone else can. It's like my own personal Twilight Zone.
See how kind the Brits are? We invented the traffic roundabout so Martin wouldn't have to worry about the traffic lights. :wink:
May the joy of music be ever thine.
(BTW, my name is John)
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

Martin Milner wrote:
Being red-green colourblind,
Now you wouldn't wanting to be playing billiards or snooker would ye? Say for some coins?

MarkB
Everybody has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.
dwinterfield

Post by dwinterfield »

Band Nerd wrote:What would happen if there was a new primary color.
Others would know better than I, but I think physicists might find discovery of a new primary color disturbing. Might have to go rethink the nature of the universe if they had a new primary color!
[/quote]
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

MarkB wrote:Martin Milner wrote:
Being red-green colourblind,
Now you wouldn't wanting to be playing billiards or snooker would ye? Say for some coins?

MarkB
Billiards no problem, as there's one red and two white balls, one with a dot!

I have actually potted the brown ball in snooker when I though it was a red...
I.D.10-t
antispam: No

Post by I.D.10-t »

I think that all of the colors have been discovered, and that it is our eyes are the things that need changing to see all of the “cool” colors. (ever notice that it is only the light waves that we cannot see that get the cool names like Ultra violet, and Infrared?)

If we can genetically modify crops, why not make it so people can see the blues that bees and other animals can?
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
Danner

Post by Danner »

I've wondered about the same thing. The colors we can see are only a very tiny little chunk of all of the types of light waves. There are other "colors" that have been discovered that our eyes do not respond to. In order of lowest to highest frequency... radio waves, microwaves, infrared, visible light, ultraviolet, X-rays, gamma rays, and cosmic rays (which are actually particles).
"'Tis deeds, not blood, which determine the worth of a being." -Dennis L. McKiernan
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

Martin Milner wrote:Being red-green colourblind, I can see lots of colours nobody else can see.
Interesting. I would have thought you would only see shades of blue and grey.
Are you synesthetic by any chance?
NicoMoreno
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I just wanted to update my location... 100 characters is a lot and I don't really want to type so much just to edit my profile...

Post by NicoMoreno »

Danner wrote:... and cosmic rays (which are actually particles).
That's not quite accurate. You see technically ALL light is particles (the juxtapostion of singular and plural is intentional). However, all light is also waves.

That's the nature of the duality problem. Basically, all particles have wave properties, and all waves have particle properties. But the invention (or discovery) of the photon is what really brought it into perspective.
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

Danner wrote: In order of lowest to highest frequency... radio waves, microwaves, infrared, visible light, ultraviolet, X-rays, gamma rays, and cosmic rays (which are actually particles).

I think that it would be strange to have the ability to see into things at the same time as being able to see the more easily reflected wave lengths. But which light waves would be the most common? Would there be enough free X-Rays to even make that ability worth while? (I think that is why my X-Ray glasses never worked.) As for the radio waves, I bet that would look strange going from a city to the back woods, and seeing the change in brightness. (solar flares would give you a headache though.) I also heard that Gamma rays make the skin look green.

No, I think that I will stick with naturally abundant, easily reflected infrared, visible light, and ultraviolet.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
Wormdiet

Post by Wormdiet »

I.D.10-t wrote:
Danner wrote: As for the radio waves, I bet that would look strange going from a city to the back woods, and seeing the change in brightness. (solar flares would give you a headache though.) I also heard that Gamma rays make the skin look green.

No, I think that I will stick with naturally abundant, easily reflected infrared, visible light, and ultraviolet.
Watching music from radio stations could get a little weird.
OOOXXO
Doing it backwards since 2005.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

You get used to it. :wink:
happyturkeyman

Post by happyturkeyman »

When I was little I always used to wonder if maybe, just maybe, that what everyone else saw red I saw as blue, what everyone else saw as blue I saw as yellow, and what everyone else saw as yellow I saw as red.

I could've been seeing green instead of purple this while time, but everyone around me calls it purple so in effect it IS my purple.

Am I the only one?

Edit: Maybe "perceive" is a better word than "see." I think I was a strange, little kid.
Last edited by happyturkeyman on Tue May 03, 2005 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We can dance if we want to
We can leave your friends behind
Cause your friends don't dance and if they don't dance
Well they're no friends of mine.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

happyturkeyman wrote:When I was little I always used to wonder if maybe, just maybe, that what everyone else saw red I saw as blue, what everyone else saw as blue I saw as yellow, and what everyone else saw as yellow I saw as red.

I could've been seeing green instead of purple this while time, but everyone around me calls it purple so in effect it IS my purple.

Am I the only one?
Not at all!