talbert

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
KDMARTINKY
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by KDMARTINKY »

Glauber wrote: I'm missing something here. What exactly is he doing that's wrong?

Actually it depends on who you talk to on the matter of is there something wrong with what TstC is doing in regards to his selling techniques.

But, if you ask me and based on you question you are wanting to know boarders comments on your question.
His practices in my opinion are boarderline unethical, but by my helping him in this particular recent effort, I am as quilty as he is and thats why I have given away or sold anything that was related to my particular dealing with him. I should have given the whistles away, but I needed to reimburse my Ebay account from the deal and selling the whistles was the only way to do so and keep somekind of peace and dignity for myself. Other than that his techniques are very strange coming from a person who holds himself in so high regards as a professional musician. To me its a very strange situation indeed.

You know I could sum up the whole senerio in less words by quoting what most mothers tell thier children: A person will be your friend as long as you are doing something favorable for them, but once you stop helping, things change and friends you are no longer. The person moves on to find another friend.

I believe that Dale is completely aware of what is going on with TstC emails, PMs, posting, etc. and has taken appropriate measures in the past.
Keith

Bionn dha insint ar sceal agus leagon deag ar amhran
There are two versions of every story and twelve of every song
susnfx

Post by susnfx »

glauber wrote:
susnfx wrote:It sounds as if Talbert is becoming the Nigerian money scam of the whistle world.
I'm missing something here. What exactly is he doing that's wrong?
KDMARTINKY wrote:Out of the blackhole TstC emails me and asks me to do him a favor (sell some of his whistles). He asks me to put these on eBay under my account which was wierd after I found-out that he has his own eBay account...
...I am not going to get into the details of this very disturbing deal and to cut to the chase this was a big mistake to accept his offer.
...Learn someone history (Board Posts, Ebay feedback, etc) before dealing with someone...
Wrong? Perhaps nothing. But requesting that someone sell whistles for him on eBay when he has an eBay account of his own is "unusual." What I meant by a Nigerian money scam was simply a money deal that sounds very odd to say the least.

Up until this last page, I've agreed with BrewerPaul - I'm uncomfortable with five pages of making fun of an individual on the board; however, I believe this last bit of information is something people on the board should know about (not even so much using email addresses to advertise, but asking people on the board to sell things for him on eBay).

Susan
KDMARTINKY

Post by KDMARTINKY »

I wouldn't wish the ordeal I went through with him on anyone. I only replied to this post because I was sparked about emails out of the blue from him and I thought, wow its happened to someone else.

I do wish him future success, but not through me (meaning through any purchases from me). I wash my hands of him and I won't respond or write anymore to this thread, although I Really want to, but it stirs up to much emotion out of me. Although I will read your responses.

Hope you guys and gals understand.
Keith

Bionn dha insint ar sceal agus leagon deag ar amhran
There are two versions of every story and twelve of every song
Sunnywindo

Post by Sunnywindo »

brewerpaul wrote:I've been watching this thread with some degree of amusement, but also some discomfort.
Regardless of the person involved, sitting here criticizing and making fun of one person doesn't seem altogether right. I'm not defending Talbert or anyone else in particular here. None of us is perfect. As a friend pointed out just yesterday, every time you point the finger at someone, three more are pointing back at YOU...

Glad to know someone else has been a bit troubled by this thread. I enjoy a little good natured joking as much as the next person... and if someone is doing something that isn't all on the level and hurting others (as KDM pointed out), then it's good for folks to be warned so as to be aware and cautious. But it seems there's a point where a line gets crossed, like in this thread, where the teasing seems more akin to vindictive gossip than anything. That's not right. Two wrongs don't make a right. Just because someone spits in your face doesn't give you free licence to hold them down and pee on them (if you'll parden the grossness there).

When I first joined this forum, it seemed like a real friendly, safe, decent place for the most part. The kind of place you'd feel good about pointing ANYONE to (little sister and great-grandma included). But over time and in paticular over the last year or so, I've noticed a bit of a vicious undercurrent and at times filthy uglyness beneath the friendly fun. As such, I've lost a little of the respect I once had for some here, and the forum in general. It's not just TSC either, I've seen it evident in regards to other people and issues on the board. Sometimes I wonder if we don't forget that there are acutal people with lives and problems and hopes and worries and even feelings behind the avatars. Someone else behaves badly, not good.... but for others to then behave badly in response, over and over and over... that seems as bad or worse.

Sorry, but this sort of thing really gets to me and the whole thing seems to go beyond just this thread and this one indivdual. Makes me a bit sad sometimes.

:cry: Sara (who admits to being far from perfect herself)
'I wish it need not have happend in my time,' said Frodo.
'So do I,' said Gandalf, 'and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.'

-LOTR-
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

Sorry, but this sort of thing really gets to me and the whole thing seems to go beyond just this thread and this one indivdual. Makes me a bit sad sometimes.
It's not just this message board, and it's not unique to the subject of music, either.

My own theory is that everyone is always kept so busy and so stressed that the exhaustion of daily life builds up. People take it out on each other, sometimes person to person, and sometimes online.

Actually, I find the Tolkien quote quite apt...it seems to fit our own times quite well.

--James
brewerpaul
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

[quote="peeplj
It's not just this message board, and it's not unique to the subject of music, either.
--James[/quote]

The internet is a wonderful thing for many reasons. One negative aspect seems to be that because they're talking to or about people who they'll never meet in real life, people feel free to say whatever they feel like saying, or never would even dream of saying to that person face to face.
Just because we CAN say things, doesn't mean we SHOULD say those things.
Things we say, even in jest, can hurt others tremendously. How much more must those things hurt when they're said in a callous way?
I guess I'm just suggesting that everyone here consider someone else's feelings before they complain or joke about them. Whether or not we have issues with a particular person, that person is still a human being who deserves our understanding and compassion.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

brewerpaul wrote:I've been watching this thread with some degree of amusement, but also some discomfort.
Regardless of the person involved, sitting here criticizing and making fun of one person doesn't seem altogether right. I'm not defending Talbert or anyone else in particular here. None of us is perfect. As a friend pointed out just yesterday, every time you point the finger at someone, three more are pointing back at YOU...
Obviously, since people have agreed with you, there is a way of taking this thread which I'm sure the participants never intended. (I agree with your second paragraph but was a bit puzzled by your first, Paul.)

I didn't remember this as a malicious thread; when I was taking part in it, it just seemed like a few people whiling away a quiet morning with a bit of harmless banter. I just reread it and it still strikes me that way, until the bottom of page 4 where people start reporting real incidents. (My impression was that the people reporting the incidents felt more strongly than their posts revealed, so they were exercising self control.) Very, very occasionally, I've been on the receiving end of some real nastiness on this board and I can assure you that I recognise it when I see it.

Perhaps 90% of the early posts aren't even about Talbert in any meaningful sense. The Talbert myth gets invoked, but I really don't think that is the same as talking about Talbert, the person. Amar seems to be the butt of almost as many jokes and he wasn't taking offense. Everybody around here is fair game for a ribbing and a lot of us get ribbed often. Most accept that as part and parcel of the fun. Once the recent reports of trouble start to come in, the whole tone changes, but surely the aggrieved parties had a right to tell us their stories.

If you think that what I'm saying is fanciful, those who've been around for a while will remember several cases of people who were controversial but who changed their act and stopped getting into arguments. (Obviously I'm not going to give you names.) Each one had their own myth and, in each case, people dropped all reference to the myth as soon as it was clear that the behaviour had changed.
amar
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

there's nothing wrong with my butt.. :boggle:
Flyingcursor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

amar wrote:there's nothing wrong with my butt.. :boggle:
There's nothing wrong with you, but.......
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

amar wrote:there's nothing wrong with my butt.. :boggle:
Your butt? I'm not going there. :wink:
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

[quote="Wombat
Obviously, since people have agreed with you, there is a way of taking this thread which I'm sure the participants never intended. (I agree with your second paragraph but was a bit puzzled by your first, Paul.)
.[/quote]

I was somewhat amused at first, having had some communication with TSC. However, when it went on and on I began to get disturbed.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
amar
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

Wombat wrote: Your butt? I'm not going there. :wink:
most grateful i am. spoken with a yoda accent
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

I think this thread has outlived its usefulness. I'm getting a bit uncomfortable with it.

So, let's please stop.

Dale