Boston Storm

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
dwinterfield
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Boston Storm

Post by dwinterfield »

8 am - 1/23/2005
22 degrees - 50-60 mile winds. I'm on the coast 35 miles south of Boston. High tide in 90 minutes. 3ft storm tide with 20-30 ft waves. We're at elevation 15' but in sheltered cove. I'll send pictures. Should snow into the night.

I'm supposed to fly to DC at 8am tomorrow, but I'm beginning to doubt it. The good news is that I'll be here when my whistle lessons start up again on Tuesday!!!

andreaz54

Post by andreaz54 »

YIKES!!!!!! Now I don't feel so bad about the shoveling I have to do later this morning. !!!! It doesn't look so high now. Of course its up to my midcalves but now I know it could be worse.

I am expecting a Busman whistle to arrive tomorrow and I will have to sign for it. SO...I have to make sure the beloved mailman can get up my front walk. I'll leave the driveway to the husband!

Ahhh...winter...............
Joseph E. Smith
antispam: No

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

...brings back a ton of childhood memories...some good, but most cold. :D
dwinterfield

Post by dwinterfield »

andreaz54 wrote:I am expecting a Busman whistle to arrive tomorrow and I will have to sign for it. Ahhh...winter...............
I'm been tooting on a Busman rosewood while posting the pictures.
We're going out in a bit. The news just said the town of Winthrop has announced they will stop and arrest non emergency drivers for being on the roads.
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

the pictures are great. And I'm glad you are alright enough to take them :)
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
dwinterfield

Post by dwinterfield »

Thanks I just walked down to the marsh. pics later

Not meaning go OT, but as I came in, the news was explaining that the National Guard would normally be out and about picking up nurses, docs and other emergency personel, but the guard doesn't have enough folks for that because most of their folks are in Iraq
Feadan
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Feadan »

This morning we couldn't open the back door to let the dog out. :o The kids were able to go out the front & dig their way to the back door. They also dug a few pathways for Trystan (Welsh corgi) to go do his business. The snow is well over his head.

Cheers,
David
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

andreaz54 wrote:I am expecting a Busman whistle to arrive tomorrow and I will have to sign for it. SO...I have to make sure the beloved mailman can get up my front walk. I'll leave the driveway to the husband!

Ahhh...winter...............
Andrea-- I know this will kill you, but when you get the whistle, do NOT open the box for an hour or two. The whistle inside is likely to be cold from sitting in the postal truck, and suddenly exposing it to your warm indoor air could crack it. Relax, play the Macacauba, and wait for the package to warm up.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

brewerpaul wrote:Andrea-- I know this will kill you, but when you get the whistle, do NOT open the box for an hour or two. The whistle inside is likely to be cold from sitting in the postal truck, and suddenly exposing it to your warm indoor air could crack it. Relax, play the Macacauba, and wait for the package to warm up.
Thanks for the reminder, Paul; I forgot to warn my dad about this. Time to send him a quick email...

Enjoy the winter storm, folks! But, be careful! (As usual, the winter storm here in western Washington state is just lots of rain. Humph!)

Cheers,
John
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
dwinterfield

Post by dwinterfield »

Lost power for 4 hrs. It's slowing down now. A few more images. It makes New Englnad fun.

Charlene

Post by Charlene »

Enjoy the winter storm, folks! But, be careful! (As usual, the winter storm here in western Washington state is just lots of rain. Humph!)

Cheers,
John
And here in Eastern Washington it's 49 degrees, been overcast all morning but the sun just came out. The skiers hate it, because none of the resorts within an hour's drive have good snow - the ones that are open say "spring conditions" or "wet snow".
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

I have not been out of the house in 2 days I am going crazy. :boggle: :boggle: :boggle: :boggle: :boggle:
mamakash

Post by mamakash »

Lots of snow in Central New Jersey. We must have had over a foot. Not enough to make the record books, but enough to cause pain. We had a state of emergency yesterday . . . and today was the big dig out. Ouch. I'm gonna feel it for a week.
I sing the birdie tune
It makes the birdies swoon
It sends them to the moon
Just like a big balloon
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

dwinterfield wrote:Lost power for 4 hrs. It's slowing down now. A few more images. It makes New Englnad fun.

WOW.
Thanks for the pics.
I keep hearing Paul Simon...
"We've all come to look for America..."

Slan,
D. (hic..)
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
claudine
Tell us something.: Hi, I am a choir singer from Luxembourg trying to get back to Irish flute playing after a few years of absence from ITM.

Post by claudine »

Winterfield, you got some scary pictures there. My toes are already blue from cold since my brain told them about the photos. I hope you have a good nice fire going on there. And a wee bottle of whisky would do no harm in that kind of situation.