To Apple or not

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Paul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

To Apple or not

Post by Paul »

OK. I want a laptop. I am seriously thinking about a Powerbook. Since 1995, I've done everything on PC. My work has a PC server network, my home computer is a PC, etc. I used to use Apple stuff in the early 90s and I think I want to switch back. Am I nuts? :boggle:

Realistically is it within the realm of possibility to make the change without getting way over my head with having to buy a lot of expensive software? The only biggie that I know I'll need to buy is Adobe Illustrator. I think the rest (exel, word, etc) is workable. At least that's what I've heard. I'm largely travelling in the dark without headlights right now about this though.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
emmline
antispam: No

Post by emmline »

IMHO, an Apple laptop is an excellent idea. The preinstalled Appleworks program would cover those basics, but in all likelihood you'd also want the Mac compatible Microsoft office program because it's the best way to be cross-compatible with files which originate from PCs. That's $130-$300ish, depending on whether you can order one at the student/teacher cost.
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

Emm is a big fan of Apple so You should ask her about it.

Slan,
D.
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

:oops: ,pipped at the post.

Slan,
D.

(I was chatting up a Barmaid when I should have been replying...)
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
emmline

Post by emmline »

Except that I can't talk tech...I just sort of muddle my way through by dint of intuition.
Paul

Post by Paul »

emmline wrote:IMHO, an Apple laptop is an excellent idea. The preinstalled Appleworks program would cover those basics, but in all likelihood you'd also want the Mac compatible Microsoft office program because it's the best way to be cross-compatible with files which originate from PCs. That's $130-$300ish, depending on whether you can order one at the student/teacher cost.
Thanks for the confirmation, Em. That's pretty much what I was thinking. They advertise the G4 as "a real replacement for a desktop" and it's so sleek and portable. It's getting hard to resist.
Darwin

Post by Darwin »

emmline wrote:IMHO, an Apple laptop is an excellent idea. The preinstalled Appleworks program would cover those basics, but in all likelihood you'd also want the Mac compatible Microsoft office program because it's the best way to be cross-compatible with files which originate from PCs. That's $130-$300ish, depending on whether you can order one at the student/teacher cost.
Is Appleworks preinstalled on all laptops? It wasn't on the last two desktop machines that I bought (one of them last summer). When I bought my Mac, Mac Warehouse was offering Microsoft Office with new machines for something like $125, so I got that, although Word is about the only part of it that I ever use. My granddaughter just uses TextEdit for her homework.

I'd love to have a laptop, but since I never leave home, it's kinda hard to justify. :sniffle:
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe
dapple

Post by dapple »

Why would you want to switch, Paul? I understand that Apples are fine machines and, yes, the G4 is very trendy, cool looking, sleek, and portable but, practically speaking, since you have been using a PC for the past ten years, wouldn't your life be simpler it you purchased a PC laptop? What does the Apple offer that would make the added complication to your life worthwhile? My question is not rhetorical; I have never used an Apple and don't know how its capabilities differ from those of a PC's.
~ David
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

Count me in on the Apple side. My iBook is awesome, and I love my G4 tower. Everyone should have an Apple. :D
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
Tony
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

I tried a demo Apple online at CompUSA... it's graphic ability was truly impressive. However, it was the most frustrating experience not having a right mouse button and a scroll wheel. Is one button really better?
jen f

Post by jen f »

Definitley go Mac. Definitely. And I think you'll find today's Macs a little different than those of the early 90s.
dapple wrote:What does the Apple offer that would make the added complication to your life worthwhile? My question is not rhetorical; I have never used an Apple and don't know how its capabilities differ from those of a PC's.
Actually, switching to Mac should simplify your life, not complicate it. Someone with techincal expertise could answer your question better, but in short, they work. You plug things in and they work. You install things and they work. You want something somewhere else, you just drag it there. You can set your preferences to make it do whatever you want. And you don't have to worry nearly as much about viruses!
tony wrote:I tried a demo Apple online at CompUSA... it's graphic ability was truly impressive. However, it was the most frustrating experience not having a right mouse button and a scroll wheel. Is one button really better?
:-? We have a track ball with four buttons plus a scroll wheel. And you can set them to do whatever you want. Actually, each user can set them to do whatever they want, so my husband's and mine are different.
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

Tony wrote:I tried a demo Apple online at CompUSA... it's graphic ability was truly impressive. However, it was the most frustrating experience not having a right mouse button and a scroll wheel. Is one button really better?
I have a right mouse button and a scroll wheel on MY Mac :) Well, I should say on my Kensington mouse, but I'm using it on my Mac.
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
Paul

Post by Paul »

dapple wrote:Why would you want to switch, Paul? I understand that Apples are fine machines and, yes, the G4 is very trendy, cool looking, sleek, and portable but, practically speaking, since you have been using a PC for the past ten years, wouldn't your life be simpler it you purchased a PC laptop? What does the Apple offer that would make the added complication to your life worthwhile? My question is not rhetorical; I have never used an Apple and don't know how its capabilities differ from those of a PC's.
I know what you're saying, Dapple. I'm largely happy with my PCs. I just bought my wife a laptop and I was attracted to the Apples while in the computer store. at first it was because of their being very attractive and probably would have left it alone but the list of really really really happy Apple users is long indeed. I rarely hear anything even remotely bad about Apples, and the fact that there are no viruses, and everything always works and is easy to set up is appealing, indeed.

The posts to my thread here comfirm what I've heard. I was bummed out about the mouse situation in Tony's post, then I read about Izzarina's super deluxe ultra mouse.

Best,
Paul
Caj

Post by Caj »

I've been using PCs for a long time, and recently bought a PowerBook, my first Apple computer. I am definitely glad I did. It is so much easier to get my work done, and a lot of hassles (viruses, spyware) are simply not present.

The main reason I switched is that I can do Unix stuff on the Mac. The new MacOS is based on BSD Unix, with all the usual tools, and the command-line interface is a bash shell <--- TEH AWESOME !1

A real shell gives you a ridiculous amount of power compared to MS-DOS, which is about as capable as a vending machine. Funny, since the Mac used to have a reputation for being crippled and idiot-proof, shielding the user from the machine's internals. Now it is the computer of choice for power users.

Caj
Dana

Post by Dana »

I've been a Mac user for years. My husband, however has PCs. Mac OS X and Windows XP work very well together. Our computers are networked, and file sharing is no problem. Microsoft office files are interchangable between OSs. If I send an attachment in Word, PPT, or whatever, Windows users have no issues opening it. The student and teacher edition of Office is around $130 on Amazon.

I use a Kensington Expert Mouse, and love it. I'm not much on 1-button mice (mouses?) either. For Windows users migrating over to Macs, I recommend a system hack called Fruit Menu. It gives you a start menu much like the Windows one, although it's at the top left. It's wonderfully customizable.

The Apple software package that ships with Macs can't be beat. I'm very impressed with iTunes, iMovie, iPhoto and Garage band. The programs play well together, too. If I'm editing a movie, all my photos and music files are easily accessible in iMovie. Sherlock, the Mac OS search program will give me instant stock quotes, a dictionary, language translation, photo search, local movie search (along with addresses and times, plus trailers), a phone book with driving directions from my home, and an integrated search engine. (By the way, Appleworks is part of the standard package).

I've never had a virus. I've had one system crash in several years, due to some defective software I'd installed. I'm the network person in our home, and can find my way around PCs decently, but find the Mac OS more elegant, less problem-prone, and just simply more friendly.

Dana