1 meeeellion dollars...

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
GaryKelly
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

1 meeeellion dollars...

Post by GaryKelly »

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/3497480.stm

A US woman has been charged with forgery after trying to use a fake $1 million bill at a supermarket.

Alice Pike, 35, pulled out the note at a Georgia Wal-Mart store to pay for $1,672 worth of goods and asked for change, police said.

:D
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
Paul

Post by Paul »

:lol: :lol: That was down in Covington, GA. General Sherman had a lover in Covington. They say, that because of that fact, even though it was right in his path, he spared the city from burning on his march to the sea. It's really a beautiful little town.
Tres

Post by Tres »

There is no such thing as a million dollar bill, so how can one "forge" something that doesn't exist? I don't think this charge will stand up upon further scrutiny.

Now-- maybe there should be a charge for being dumb. I could support that.

Tres
Chuck_Clark

Post by Chuck_Clark »

Tres wrote:There is no such thing as a million dollar bill, so how can one "forge" something that doesn't exist? I don't think this charge will stand up upon further scrutiny.

Now-- maybe there should be a charge for being dumb. I could support that.

Tres
Not forgery, but if they're in a really pissy mood they could make a fraud or attempted theft by deception charge stick. Hopefully, they'll simply send the woman to the shrink she really needs. Clearly she's playing solitaire with a 51-card deck.
dlovrien

Post by dlovrien »

emmline
antispam: No

Post by emmline »

And she thought they could make change for that?
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

Its like a Clamper gag. Ha. Especially, the seal, with "The Right To Bear Arms" encircled...

The whole event is almost more like Performance Art than a crime....

And, doesn't every store have $998,400 on hand in change??
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
TomB

Post by TomB »

The Weekenders wrote:
And, doesn't every store have $998,400 on hand in change??
Well, Wal-Mart might!! :D

Tom
"Consult the Book of Armaments"
Zubivka

Post by Zubivka »

Paul wrote::lol: :lol: That was down in Covington, GA. General Sherman had a lover in Covington. They say, that because of that fact, even though it was right in his path, he spared the city from burning on his march to the sea. It's really a beautiful little town.
Cherchez la fame?

Today, the famed janral would be charged at least with:
1) Collusion with an identified therroriss <--- this to keep the board safe from men-in-black-bots
2) Sessual harassment on working premises <--- ibid.
3) Bribery; lucky if if he escapes a count of "oral bribery"
4) Failing to enforce a preventive strike on a theroriss settlement
5) Islamic sympathies: GA is just south of TA (Tchetchnia), right?
6) Corniness; publicly told, that last one charge would have really killed the sweet guy.
nancymae

Post by nancymae »

I was totally shocked when I saw the picture of the "money". My stepson gave me one of those bills as a gag birthday gift...saying I was worth a Million. Not only was the bill grossly NOT money...but it is much smaller than a regular bill. I can't imagine what the poor clerk thought when that woman gave it to her. Yes, it's too bad they don't give charges for stupidity!!!

I want to know how she was going to fit over $1,500 in groceries in her trailer??????

Nancy
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Looking at the enlargement of the pic of the 1 Million Dollar Note, I noticed the evidence of folding and wear at its center. That baby's been carried around long enough to stress it, as if it'd seen a lot of use. Right. No US legal tender would wear so fast, especially of such a denomination. I sure wouldn't carry that around in my pocket if it were legit! Mental state, indeed.

Performance art? Maybe. Her expression is curiously pleased. But I wonder at her hair.

Can you say "Crystal Meth"?
amar
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

........only in america........
:roll:
TonyHiggins

Post by TonyHiggins »

I'm thinking someone cheated her by buying something from her with it (and saying, 'keep the change.') She figured if it was good enough to fake her out, then her cousin at Walmart might fall for it, too. Cut her some slack; maybe, her eyesight isn't that great.

Or, maybe she didn't count the zero's correctly and didn't realize it would raise eyebrows. I'd like to get my hands on a couple of those and send them to a Nigerian who needs good faith money to get the billions out of the country that his diplomat father left in trust, but the government was overthrown and now he's desolate and...He keeps emailing me and I feel so bad for him.
Tony
(She didn't look like a performance artist, but her stunt would qualify.)
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”
Jerry Freeman
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Jerry Freeman »

TonyHiggins wrote:I'd like to get my hands on a couple of those and send them to a Nigerian who needs good faith money to get the billions out of the country that his diplomat father left in trust, but the government was overthrown and now he's desolate and...He keeps emailing me and I feel so bad for him.
He's been emailing you, too?!?

He assured me that he was contacting me in complete confidence and trust!

Best wishes,
Jerry
TonyHiggins

Post by TonyHiggins »

Jee wiz, Jerry. Show's how desparate this guy is. Maybe we could pool our resources or start a fundraiser- raffle off a tweaked Gen...

Here's a followup article on the meeeelion dollar lady on AJC.com:

Alice Pike, the woman who gained national attention with her fake $1 million bill, says it's all a big misunderstanding.

In an interview Wednesday from the Newton County Jail, Pike said she never intended to use the fake money to try to buy $1,671.55 in clothes from a Covington Wal-Mart.

But she did think the bill was real.

"You can't keep up with the U.S. Treasury [Department]," said Pike, 35, of Porterdale.

When she was arrested Friday, Pike told police she got the money — which turned out to be a novelty bill that can be bought at a gag shop — from her estranged husband, a coin collector.

Pike said she tried to buy the clothes — T-shirts, shoes, beachwear, beach bags and other items — with two Wal-Mart cards.

But the cashier told Pike she had only a total of $2.32 credit available.

That's when Pike says she pulled a bill from her purse with the image of the Statue of Liberty in the center and "1,000,000" on each corner.

"All I've got is this," Pike recalled telling the cashier.

"I wasn't trying to pass off the bill," said Pike. "That's ridiculous."

Wal-Mart, however, offered a different version.

Store management said Pike tried to pay for the items with the fake money and even asked for change, according to a Covington Police Department report.

Police will pass along their findings to District Attorney Ken Wynne, who said he is waiting to see the Police Department's final report before deciding whether to prosecute Pike on charges of first-degree forgery.

Pike, who says she collects disability because of a mental disorder, is being represented by a public defender.

John Strauss, Newton's public defender, did not return calls Wednesday.

In the meantime, Pike says she's aware of all of the jokes and media attention (the incident was mentioned on the "Today" show) that have come her way.

She appeared unfazed.

"It's the irony of life," she said. "Something to write about."
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”