More "divided by a common language" stuff

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
an seanduine
antispam: No

Re: More "divided by a common language" stuff

Post by an seanduine »

I would be curious to know if any right-ponders here are familiar with the colloquialism : As independent as a hog on ice.

Bob
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
benhall.1
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

an seanduine wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:29 pm I would be curious to know if any right-ponders here are familiar with the colloquialism : As independent as a hog on ice.

Bob
Never heard it.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

benhall.1 wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:31 pm
an seanduine wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:29 pm I would be curious to know if any right-ponders here are familiar with the colloquialism : As independent as a hog on ice.

Bob
Never heard it.
Me neither (Left Ponder, here). TBH, it makes no sense to me, but then I've never associated with pigs beyond the dinner plate.
"Time is the wisest counselor of all." - Pericles

"I remain not entirely convinced of it." - Nano
an seanduine

Post by an seanduine »

This image:https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=htt ... AdAAAAABAI

may help explain its provenance. The OED defines the phrase in this manner: ¨denoting independence, awkwardness, or insecurity.¨

I have heard it all my life, and associate it with rural Americana from the very early 20th Century.

Bob
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

an seanduine wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:46 pm The OED defines the phrase in this manner: ¨denoting independence, awkwardness, or insecurity.¨
Of the three, I wouldn't normally (if ever) associate the first with the latter two, and those I would pair only incidentally. In colloquial use, I would associate "independence" with free-agency; IOW, nothing in the word suggests awkwardness or insecurity to me without a crowbar to help me pry it to limits that I would find a roving stretch at best. Is the language divide between the Midwest and New England that great?

Did we Yanks fight the Revolution for our right to awkwardness and insecurity? Okay, okay - judging by the times, maybe so; but that's another topic, and one proscribed here. I just want to know how a New Englander interprets "independent".

Aha: Is the colloquialism an ironic assessment? Which is to say that there is actually nothing independent about a hog on ice, but rather that it would be hapless and in all likelihood need help out of its predicament (I'm guessing the phrase suggests that odds are that the situation can be expected to be revisited more times than not). Feckless, in other words?
"Time is the wisest counselor of all." - Pericles

"I remain not entirely convinced of it." - Nano