What are your solstice plans?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
HDSarah
antispam: No

What are your solstice plans?

Post by HDSarah »

I'm not a runner, but I just saw a notice for this solstice run and thought some of my more southerly acquaintances might find it amusing. People who live at high latitudes tend to care about solstices and equinoxes. You can join in if you can get to Fairbanks, Alaska by Thursday "night." (It's all bright twilight in the 2 hours the sun is below the horizon, plenty of light to read the newspaper outdoors.)

12:48am
Dusk to Dawn Run
When: Thu, June 20, 12:48am – 2:57am Fri. June 21
Where: UAF - Ski Hut and North Campus Trails
Description: This is a continuous run from dusk to dawn. Runners will run as much as they can in the 2 hours and nine minutes of "night" on the shortest night of the year. This is the partner race of the Dawn to Dusk Run held on the shortest day of the year in December. UAF Ski Hut and North Campus trails. Runners will do loops from the Ski hut out to the T-field, and around the Skarland Trail back to the Ski hut. We will stay on established summer trails.
ICE JAM: "dam" good music that won't leave you cold. Check out our CD at http://cdbaby.com/cd/icejam
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: What are your solstice plans?

Post by chas »

That's just about my time for my last half marathon. I doubt I could do 13 miles in 2:09 during "normally off" hours, though. It's a neat idea.

I think it's about 6 hours earlier here, so around then I'll either be eating supper or cutting up more fallen limbs in my yard.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
HDSarah

Post by HDSarah »

Chas, the clocks on the east coast of the U.S. read 4 hours LATER than Alaska time (assuming you use daylight savings time, as we do). So, our 1:00 am to 3:00 am "night" would be your early morning, 5:00 am to 7:00 am. We're near the end of the world & the end of the day.

My favorite time-zone memory is the year (1994) when I got a call at 10 pm on Sept. 27 (in Alaska) telling me my newest niece had been born on Sept. 28 (in Virginia). :)
ICE JAM: "dam" good music that won't leave you cold. Check out our CD at http://cdbaby.com/cd/icejam
BigDavy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by BigDavy »

My plans are simple.

Thursday - session in Islay Inn
Friday - Pack for traveling to London for the All Britain Fleadh on Saturday morning then head to the Ivory session.

David
Payday, Piping, Percussion and Poetry- the 4 best Ps
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

The old TV show Northern Exposure had an episode about a run.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
emmline

Post by emmline »

A coupla people are having parties we're supposed to be going to. Don't know that there'll be any running, or much Druidic content. Beer, most likely.
chas

Post by chas »

HDSarah wrote:Chas, the clocks on the east coast of the U.S. read 4 hours LATER than Alaska time (assuming you use daylight savings time, as we do). So, our 1:00 am to 3:00 am "night" would be your early morning, 5:00 am to 7:00 am. We're near the end of the world & the end of the day.
Oh, that's easy, then -- sleeping, and waking up. I have gotten up at 5 for a marathon a few times, but they didn't start till 7.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
brewerpaul

Post by brewerpaul »

We'll be getting high for the solstice. As in 30,000ft plus, as we fly to jolly old England to depart on a Northern European/Baltic cruise, ending up with 3 days in London.
One highlight will be hand delivering a whistle to a buyer in Bruges Belgium. This nice fellow will also serve as our tour guide to the city too.
We will also experience long daylight in St. Petersburgh, Russa as we stop there for 2 days during the "White Nights".
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
burnsbyrne

Post by burnsbyrne »

I'll be getting ready for my birthday which is 12:00 noon June 22. Actually, I'll try (unsuccesfully) to sleep in and then spend the morning on the crossword and laundry.