Big Bang Theory

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
MTGuru
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Big Bang Theory

Post by MTGuru »

Are there other fans of The Big Bang Theory here?

I mean the television show, not the ... theory.

Not that the theory isn't entertaining, too. But there just aren't as many video clips of it on YouTube.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Re: Big Bang Theory

Post by kkrell »

or Blooper reels.
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

kkrell wrote:or Blooper reels.
Arguably, every clip on YouTube is a blooper reel. :twisted:

Thomaston

Post by Thomaston »

I'm a fan. :)
maki

Post by maki »

We enjoy it.
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

I quite like BBT. OTOH, I do find that it has a similar effect on me that Friends used to have. That is, it's OK, and perfectly acceptable mindless entertainment, but a bit bland and, essentially, just the same joke repeated.

IOW, I can watch it, and even enjoy it, but I always feel I've wasted my time when I do.

Not a cultural thing, I think, but there do seem to be different problems with television produced here in the UK and that produced in the States. In the States there is a skill which is a given, which is ensemble. Ensemble writing, directing, characterisation and acting. It's something we often forget, but not you guys. OTOH, I think there is too much reliance on situation and formula in shows produced in the States.

When UK shows remember to try harder at ensemble, and when US shows remember to break free of formulae and create development through a series, both can produce some extraordinary stuff. And I don't think it matters what category of drama we're talking about - comedy and serious drama have the same issues and the same potential for greatness when we get it right.
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

benhall.1 wrote:I quite like BBT. OTOH, I do find that .. ... . ....... ...... .. .. .... ....... .... .. ..... .... .., ..'. .., ... ......... .......... ........ ............., ... . ... ..... ..., ..........., .... ... .... .... .........

..., . ... ..... .., ... .... ..... .., ... . ...... .... .'.. ...... .. .... .... . ...

... . ........ ....., . ....., ... ..... .. .... .. .. ......... ........ .... .......... ........ .... .. ... .. ... .... ........ .. ... ....... .. ... ...... ..... .. . ..... ..... .. . ....., ..... .. ......... ........ ......., ........., ................ ... ....... ..'. ......... .. ..... ......, ... ... ... ..... ...., . ..... ..... .. ... .... ........ .. ......... ... ....... .. ..... ........ .. ... .......

.... .. ..... ........ .. ... ...... .. ........, ... .... .. ..... ........ .. ..... .... .. ........ ... ...... ........... ....... . ......, .... ... ....... .... ............. ...... ... . ...'. ..... .. ....... .... ........ .. ..... ..'.. ....... ..... - ...... ... ....... ..... .... ... .... ...... ... ... .... ......... ... ......... .... .. ... .. ......
Ben, are you sure your name is not Sheldon? :lol:

benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

MTGuru wrote:
benhall.1 wrote:I quite like BBT. OTOH, I do find that .. ... . ....... ...... .. .. .... ....... .... .. ..... .... .., ..'. .., ... ......... .......... ........ ............., ... . ... ..... ..., ..........., .... ... .... .... .........

..., . ... ..... .., ... .... ..... .., ... . ...... .... .'.. ...... .. .... .... . ...

... . ........ ....., . ....., ... ..... .. .... .. .. ......... ........ .... .......... ........ .... .. ... .. ... .... ........ .. ... ....... .. ... ...... ..... .. . ..... ..... .. . ....., ..... .. ......... ........ ......., ........., ................ ... ....... ..'. ......... .. ..... ......, ... ... ... ..... ...., . ..... ..... .. ... .... ........ .. ......... ... ....... .. ..... ........ .. ... .......

.... .. ..... ........ .. ... ...... .. ........, ... .... .. ..... ........ .. ..... .... .. ........ ... ...... ........... ....... . ......, .... ... ....... .... ............. ...... ... . ...'. ..... .. ....... .... ........ .. ..... ..'.. ....... ..... - ...... ... ....... ..... .... ... .... ...... ... ... .... ......... ... ......... .... .. ... .. ......
Ben, are you sure your name is not Sheldon? :lol:
Well, he is my favourite. :)
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

I'm another fan. The thing I like about it is, (as a physicist) I've known people pretty much like each of them (except Howard).
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
maki

Post by maki »

I like Penny....for,uh....no particular reason.
kmarty
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by kmarty »

Is there anyone who don't like TBBT?
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

Couldn't remember what it was so I had to look it up and found an episode on ABC's website for TBBT and realized I have watched one episode last Thanksgiving at a place that had cable. I can say that I am not their target audience. In that search I also ran across Big Bang. So now I know 2 cultural references that I wouldn't have known before.

One thing that I wish that the companies would realize is that there are options open to internet streaming that wouldn't work for TV. If I could turn off the laugh track on the episode for I might have made it through more than a few minutes of the show. At least it seems that they have figured out how to get closed caption to work for programs on the internet now.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

MTGuru wrote:Ben, are you sure your name is not Sheldon? :lol:
I think Ben and I are currently in competition for the title.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

kmarty wrote:Is there anyone who don't like TBBT?
Leo Laporte, a tech journalist of old, and owner of the TWiT network, hates it. I think it offends his nerdly sensibilities for some reason. Maybe he just hates laugh tracks (I find it one of the few times the laugh track doesn't stand out as an egregious insult to intelligence).

I enjoyed the earlier seasons tremendously. I find my interest waning lately (maybe I will lay out my 3 season maximum theory one day). I used to frequently find myself thinking "I've had that conversation", but lately they seem to be running out of geek "culture" to reference. I was glad to see 3D printing show up.

I still love the episode naming conventions. I usually find that new characters mark the beginning of the end for series* but the addition of the lovely Bernadette and TV's Blossom were, IMO, a breath of fresh air.

* By the way, I'm calling it: Kate Micucci showed up on Scrubs as a third-string character's love interest just before that show was (justifiably) canned. And last week she appeared on BBT as Raj's new love interest. Just sayin'.
Flavius

Post by Flavius »

I used to love the show. Mind you, I'm still a big fan, although a progressively more disappointed one. I loved the first seasons because all of it was nerdy and geeky, full with science jokes and RPG, comicbooks and SF references. Admittedly, some of it was outrageosuly clichéed, but in a so-unashamed-it's-good way that I just loved.

IMHO, things have progressively gone [s]South[/s] mainstream, and the addition of love interests for each character has turned the show into a generic dating sitcom. The Friends of the XXI century. Except we already have How I Met Your Mother for that, and (again, IMHO) doing a better job at it.

Also I wonder how longer the premise can be stretched... Beyond the natural exhaustion of topics in any sitcom, this one relies on the age/circumstances of the characters. The "late adolescent" trope may work while the characters are on their thirties, but as Jim Parsons himself said, a 50 year-old Sheldon may be something we don't want to see...