Chiffies record a CD in honor of Denny?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Caroluna
antispam: No

Re: Chiffies record a CD in honor of Denny?

Post by Caroluna »

Mitch wrote:Ahh .. is he gone then?

The great man orbits - he goes out and then draws close with all the stories of his wide passing.

And he tells us this great place .. this wide place all filled with light and joy.

Ahh .. are you gone then?

Not gone.

Only leading.

:cry: lovely...
Caroluna

Post by Caroluna »

The ongoing question of what kind of music did Denny like...

I've been doing a walk down memory lane, going through old threads. At one point a couple of years ago, my son had started playing the bass. I was asking for suggestions for tunes he could tackle. Denny mentioned Victor Wooten, Edgar Meyer, and Weather Report
teh Wiki wrote:Weather Report is considered to be one of the pre-eminent jazz fusion bands, although the band members themselves disdained the term.
Meanwhile...
I would like to submit to the playlist "the Luna's Jig". I don't think there will be any copyright issues, since I'm writing it myself. :wink:
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

Caroluna wrote:I've been doing a walk down memory lane, going through old threads. At one point a couple of years ago, my son had started playing the bass. I was asking for suggestions for tunes he could tackle. Denny mentioned Victor Wooten, Edgar Meyer, and Weather Report
I do remember the bass thread. Wooten, Meyer and Pastorius were bass players I introduced to my bassist son. Actually he decided to take up the bass after we met Victor Wooten when he was 12. The jazz fusions they have been involved in hit me where I live. I'll think about that space a bit and get back to you. Might need to write something.

If I were to recommend a piece along those lines, the first thing that comes to mind is "A Remark You Made" written by Joe Zawinul, a Weather Report classic. But it is of course still under Copyright I'm sure.

Luna's Jig, cool!

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
Caroluna

Post by Caroluna »

Feadoggie wrote:The jazz fusions they have been involved in hit me where I live. I'll think about that space a bit and get back to you. Might need to write something.
I really like the idea of original compositions. The more the merrier! If this CD turns out to be a 2-disker, I don't think that's a problem. The "Wooden Flute Obsession" compilations that Kevin Krell put together were 2-diskers, so there's precedent.

The more I ponder "what kind of music did Denny like", the more I think it might be easier to answer the opposite question ("what kind of music didn't he like") :lol:
Caroluna

Post by Caroluna »

I wanted to let you know that I'm plugging away at the new phpBB (where we can keep track of the tune list). I'm trying to learn the machinery of it myself so it's taking longer than it really should :oops: ...but it's a growth experience :D

Collecting music. Among the trad tunes we have gathered are about half a dozen relating to horses! I would like to suggest another topic as well.

Denny had posted several versions of this view of the Cascade mountains. I was never sure if this is what he saw when he looked out his window or if he actually had to go hiking to see it. One way or the other, judging by the number of pictures, I think that the mountains meant a lot to him! There must be a lot of tunes about mountains.
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

Caroluna wrote:Denny had posted several versions of this view of the Cascade mountains. I was never sure if this is what he saw when he looked out his window or if he actually had to go hiking to see it.
I'm delurking after a few years to mention I had the pleasure of meeting Denny and Adena (and their horses) at their farm several years back. That photo is indeed the view from their property. Denny said he enjoyed hiking in those mountains, too.
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
rachie_ray
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by rachie_ray »

Caroluna wrote:I wanted to let you know that I'm plugging away at the new phpBB (where we can keep track of the tune list). I'm trying to learn the machinery of it myself so it's taking longer than it really should :oops: ...but it's a growth experience :D

Collecting music. Among the trad tunes we have gathered are about half a dozen relating to horses! I would like to suggest another topic as well.

Denny had posted several versions of this view of the Cascade mountains. I was never sure if this is what he saw when he looked out his window or if he actually had to go hiking to see it. One way or the other, judging by the number of pictures, I think that the mountains meant a lot to him! There must be a lot of tunes about mountains.

This was taken off of his deck at his house :-)
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

Sorry to clog this CD thread with non-CD stuff, but folks might like to see these.

I thought that mountain photo looked even more familiar than it should. It's a crop out of a photo I took on our visit to Denny's farm in 2008.

Here's the original:

And here's the man himself:

This is my favorite photo from that day, which I find particularly moving now:
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

Thanks for sharing! I don't think I'd seen that last one; what a great picture! I miss ya, big guy.

I was just thinking about mountain-themed tunes for Denny this morning and lo and behold, here you are talking about one and the same! That river-of-consciousness thing just keeps a'flowin'....

A few Irish trad titles off the top of my head if anyone's looking. I'm sure I'm forgetting some very well-known ones, but it's a start.

Air/Song

Sliabh na mBan
The Trip We Took Over the Mountain

Hornpipe

The Mountain Ranger

Slip Jigs

The Arra Mountains
The Kid on the Mountain

Jigs

The Mist-Covered Mountain
Sliabh Russell
Mountain Madness (?)
The Slopes of Sliabh Luachra

Reels

The Mountain Road
The Mountain Top
The Green Mountain
The Mourne Mountains (might be a jig by this name, too?)
The Buck from the Mountain
Coalte Mountain (sp?)
The Galtee Mountains (aka "Galtee Rangers")
Maghera Mountain

And of course, any Sliabh Luachra polkas are fair game, right?!
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
MeMyselfandI

Post by MeMyselfandI »

Looks like a great project yall have going here! I like it a lot. I'd help out a bit, but having only played a bit over a year, I don't feel I'm the best applicant. :) Anyway, I really like the idea of the Kid on the Mountain and the Last Pint. A few ideas just to throw out on the table, have you considered O' Raghailligh's Grave (Dervish) or January Snows (Lunasa) for slow airs? To me, they portray a sort of melancholy feel, and can be "absolute tear-jerkers." Autumn Child and the Miller of Droghan are good as well I think. Oh! Almost forgot this lovely set! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdn-v7w7xJs
rachie_ray

Post by rachie_ray »

Caroluna wrote:
Feadoggie wrote: The more I ponder "what kind of music did Denny like", the more I think it might be easier to answer the opposite question ("what kind of music didn't he like") :lol:
That is absolutly my dad... He loved such a wide variety of music that there really isn't a lot that he didn't love. He was very much a man of music! He was a quiet man and not a huge talker. He communicated through music a lot. Many of the moments I hold dear that we really connected where through music. When I was about 8 we were sitting together listening to Lyle Lovett- If I Had A Boat and he was explaining the song to me along with the other songs on Pontiac. It was one of the best memories of my childhood.

He was a magical man... So smart and captivating in every way.
an seanduine

Post by an seanduine »

I'm a little late. . . could I request someone with the fiddle skills to play "Da Slocket Light"?

Bob
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi