Happy Solstice!

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
HDSarah
antispam: No

Happy Solstice!

Post by HDSarah »

I hope all of you have a lovely summer* solstice.

Wild plants and introduced perennials that are blooming in my yard today, at 65 degrees North latitude:
Wild roses, bluebells (almost done blooming), irises (just starting to open), "moe" (a low-growing wild plant with delicate tiny white flowers; I don't remember its full name), lowbush blueberries, soapberries (a.k.a. dwarf dogwood), lilacs, trollius, peonies, columbine, honeysuckle, red currant, strawberries. And dandelions, of course. :)

We had a gorgeous, sunny, hot** day Tuesday and expect another on Wednesday. The sun dips below the horizon between 1 am and 3 am, but it isn't going to get dark until August. Ahhh . . . summer! :D

What's it like in your corner of the world at the solstice?

---------------------

*Have a lovely summer solstice if in the northern hemisphere; if in the southern, have a lovely winter solstice.
**"hot" = upper 70s Fahrenheit. Yes, I know we're heat wimps, but it feels hot to us. Those who did not live through 6 weeks of Dec-Jan during which it never got warmer than -20 F may not understand.
ICE JAM: "dam" good music that won't leave you cold. Check out our CD at http://cdbaby.com/cd/icejam
hans
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've been making whistles since 2010 in my tiny workshop at my home. I've been playing whistle since teenage times.

Re: Happy Solstice!

Post by hans »

Happy solstice and summer time too!
Can't compete with the day length, Sarah :) Here at 57deg North we got a 18 hour sun-above-horizon day, sunset 10pm, rise 4am. And it is sunny today and warm. Thinking of braving the cool sea...
Foxglove flowering in my flower bed, for me the sign of summer-has-arrived. The gorse in the dunes still flowering, heather not quite. A cuckoo calls now and again, and crazy young birds everywhere.
The song continuous.
Eating strawberries from my greenhouse.
Everything is much later this year, about a month setback from a very cold spring.
Fire and music tonight I hope!
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

Happy Solstice, and don't forget to harvest your Mugwort and St. John's Wort on St. John's Day (Midsummer, 24th June)!
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
dwest

Post by dwest »

It's been in the 90s here. Our Spigelia marilandica, Rudbeckia maxima, Echinacea purpurea, Baptisia alba, Eryngium yuccifolium, five other species of Rudbeckia are all in bloom. The gold finches are happy as most of these have seeds they enjoy. I also have Lobelia cardinalis in bloom. It usually doesn't do so until August so things are little out of whack. Can't wait till the fall when the temps get livable again.
mutepointe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by mutepointe »

Happy 149th Birthday West Virginia!
Although today is a state holiday, it's not a holiday for WVU.

http://www.timeanddate.com/holidays/us/ ... rginia-day
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
maki

Post by maki »

Party on Pagans!
dwest

Post by dwest »

We live across from the James Rivah from the mouth of the Pagan River. I think most everybody over there are Baptist and Methodists, of course the river was named for the pecan trees along it's banks.
Doug_Tipple
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Doug_Tipple »

At 40 degrees latitude we also have many plants blooming in our yard, including roses, lilies, geraniums, oak leaf hydrangeas, hibiscus, and many others. My bed of elephant ears have leafed out and are doing fine. Our tomato plants have a lot of green tomatoes on them. After an early Spring we are now having extremely dry weather conditions with no rain in sight. I probably will put out the sprinklers again today, although my wife will yell at me when she sees the water bill. Happy solstice, everyone.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

maki wrote:Party on Pagans!
Hazmat suits? Now that's my kind of party. :thumbsup:
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Denny

Post by Denny »

Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
dwest

Post by dwest »

Doug_Tipple wrote: I probably will put out the sprinklers again today, although my wife will yell at me when she sees the water bill. Happy solstice, everyone.
Cisterns, get some large pvc pipe to hook the gutters up, it's not just for flutes anymore.
Tunborough
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Tunborough »

It's about 32 C here (That's 90 F, for those of you south of the border.) with the promise of more of the same tomorrow. It's been a dry spring, but the rain barrels are full, so we're good for awhile. Now if it would just drop below 20 at night, so we could cool the house down.
Roderick [Rod] Sprague IV

Post by Roderick [Rod] Sprague IV »

It seems like it is finally summer; with three hot, rainless days in a row. The native plant garden is looking good. My one mature sticky geranium, Amsinckias and my elk horn Clarkias have been blooming for a while now. My Hooker’s (a last name, not the occupation) evening primroses are making lots of flower buds. My Jessica’s asters are taking off, which is good as it is endangered. Most every new plant as well as the old ones already there have done well so far. The long-toed salamander larvae are getting really large in my yard pond. The salamanders show up and breed in there almost every spring.

I am also writing a sermon to give in the Unitarian Universalist Church of the Palouse. I am a member of our Nature Covenant and we have the Solstice Sunday service to perform.
emmline

Post by emmline »

I was wondering if you were in midnight sun latitudes Sarah. Too hot here in the Mid-Atlantic this week. Not complaining, per se, it will change...that's one thing we can count on.
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

What's it like in the UK? Overcast with occasional showers, but fairly warm. A typical English Summer, really.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2012/jun/2 ... sfeed=true
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!