What's a "doody"?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
jemtheflute
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: What's a "doody"?

Post by jemtheflute »

MTGuru wrote:Of course, a Jew Tea is a pleasant afternoon ritual with your Hasidic friends.
Godda be done...... We know the Merkin alphabet has zees instead of zeds ('cos they've fallen asleep by that stage of their edumucation.... ;-)), but do Merkins call the letter U "oooo" or "you"?

I think Seonachan may have hit the floor running with the one we were struggling with.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
Seonachan
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Seonachan »

jemtheflute wrote:
MTGuru wrote:Of course, a Jew Tea is a pleasant afternoon ritual with your Hasidic friends.
Godda be done......
...or as the Hasidim themselves would put it, "G-dda be done".
We know the Merkin alphabet has zees instead of zeds ('cos they've fallen asleep by that stage of their edumucation.... ;-)), but do Merkins call the letter U "oooo" or "you"?
We pronounce it "you", unlike those of the Cockney persuasion:
'Se SUV a th'anns a' chànan eile agam
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

I had a friend who always used to philosophically say, "It's all relevant." To this day I don't know if he actually meant what he said, or if he really meant the more usual and hackneyed "relative". I never asked for fear of embarrassing him, so I'd respond by just sagely nodding my head. I mean, after all, I didn't have a serious argument with it either way.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
maki

Post by maki »

'erbs, without the h has always seemed like a New Yak thing.
Kinda abrasive on my West Coast trained ear.
oleorezinator
Tell us something.: I love uilleann pipes I love tin whistles I love flutes I love irish music I love concertinas I love bodhrans

Post by oleorezinator »

jemtheflute wrote:
Godda be done...... We know the Merkin alphabet has zees instead of zeds ('cos they've fallen asleep by that stage of their edumucation.... ;-)), but do Merkins call the letter U "oooo" or "you"?

I think Seonachan may have hit the floor running with the one we were struggling with.
Some remedial material:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLPIquNz6rc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLP3KuyR8Oo

And for a follow up scroll to 10:18 :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r54nt6Ohm9s
Information is not knowledge.
Knowledge is not wisdom.
Wisdom is not truth.
Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love.
Love is not music. Music is the best.
- Frank Zappa
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Seonachan wrote:
jemtheflute wrote: And, oh yes, we Brits have a distinct tendency to aspirate herbs
In the Hebrides they pre-aspirate them. Don't ask me how.
Nanohedron wrote:Okay, waidaminnit: "Fleadh". Ben, do you typically pronounce this spelling with a rhotic R at the end?
Just a wild guess, but I think this line of questioning may be fundamentally floored.
I think you might be onto something there, Seonachan. Yes, indeedy-doody! (Is that the same "doody"?)

OTOH, doesn't that fit in with "error" more? Oh, I'll never get this language. :evil: I mean, at least with French, some of the words sound a bit similar ... :sniffle:
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

In that context doody does not mean poop, it is just an embellishment, a trill, of US speech. (please don't drag this into what is an integral part of a style and what is an embellishment, I was looking for a simile) It might come from the pride of the song "Yankee Doodle".

English seems very organic, it develops as the environment allows. If you like French it might be because they have measures in place to resist change.

u u u u u
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
Hotblack

Post by Hotblack »

MTGuru wrote:...Of course, a Jew Tea is a pleasant afternoon ritual with your Hasidic friends.
Do you have Halkali friends as well?
Cheers

David

I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

I.D.10-t wrote:If you like French it might be because they have measures in place to resist change.
Ben? Like anything French? Pfshaw! (Well, he might grudgingly condescend to drink the wine...... ;-))
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

benhall.1 wrote:Yes, indeedy-doody!
Charming, in a voluble foreign cabdriver sort of way. "Yes, indeedy" is as iconic and sufficient unto itself as Mount Rushmore, so adding to it with any hope of success is risky business even for the skilled Stateside-born raconteur. I wouldn't even try. I don't recall ever hearing the above added "doody" from a native, though it might exist as an isolated, eccentric quirk of speech. But that's all it would be: an awkward quirk, or someone being awkward expressly on purpose for the cringe factor. But that's all right, Ben. We think you're kinda cute. :love:

Saying "Howdy, doody!" upon encountering a dog's leavings might do. Once. You could make another pun and say "Howdy, duty!", but groan factor aside, the surrounding context would have to be so dense that you'd probably only get to say it once in a lifetime as well; either way, anything more and you might be suspected even more strongly of having brain lesions.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.

Post by benhall.1 »

Nanohedron wrote:
benhall.1 wrote:Yes, indeedy-doody!
Charming, in a voluble foreign cabdriver sort of way. "Yes, indeedy" is as iconic and sufficient unto itself as Mount Rushmore, so adding to it with any hope of success is risky business even for the skilled Stateside-born raconteur. I wouldn't even try. I don't recall ever hearing the above added "doody" from a native, but it might exist as an isolated, eccentric quirk of speech. But that's all it would be: an awkward quirk, or someone being awkward expressly on purpose for the cringe factor. But that's all right, Ben. We think you're kinda cute. :love:
Actually, "indeedy-doody" is used over here fairly often. I've been using it since I was a kid. In a sort of quaint, broadly grinning, sort of way. I just wondered if the doody came from the American word "doody". But I guess not. :)

There's still some more Merkin words that puzzle ... although I'm used to squirls now. But it still haunts me why on earth George Bush declared war on tourism. Seems self-defeating, if you ask me.
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

jemtheflute wrote:
I.D.10-t wrote:If you like French it might be because they have measures in place to resist change.
Ben? Like anything French? Pfshaw! (Well, he might grudgingly condescend to drink the wine...... ;-))
Actually, Jem, not if I can help it. I haven't bought French wine for many many years. They don't make it right any more. Give me a good Barolo or Amarone any day. Barbera, even. Rioja, slips down a treat. Pinot Grigio, or some of the lovely Spanish whites matured in oak casks. Gorgeous. :pint:
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

benhall.1 wrote:Actually, "indeedy-doody" is used over here fairly often. I've been using it since I was a kid. In a sort of quaint, broadly grinning, sort of way.
I can see that, especially without the "Yes". These things can get terribly subtle, can't they. Still, "indeedy-doody" would be an unusual form at least where I live. :)
benhall.1 wrote:I just wondered if the doody came from the American word "doody". But I guess not. :)
That's a tough one. Could be, but "indeedy" just sort of invites it anyway, doesn't it. A quick google to the Online Etymology Dictionary initially suggests that it is "indeedy" itself that comes from the States, attested in 1856. Adding the "doody" might be a particular British evolution of it. :)
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

Nanohedron wrote:Adding the "doody" might be a particular British evolution of it. :)
Well, us Brits are, after all, full of it.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

benhall.1 wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:Adding the "doody" might be a particular British evolution of it. :)
Well, us Brits are, after all, full of it.
Fertile tilth, your nation is.
benhall.1 wrote:... although I'm used to squirls now.
Well, how do YOU say it? Squirrelles?