Please take a look at my first short film - Michelle

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
sponge
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: irish music, specifically slow airs played on different whistle keys, also lower keyed flutes like Bb, but only from modern makers who have managed to get the hole spacing a little closer. And finally learning some fiddle tunes, mainly slow airs again so that the whole family don't go mad with the sound of a cat being strangled.

Please take a look at my first short film - Michelle

Post by sponge »

Hi everyone,

I have just completed my first short Arty film, its 3 minutes long and its about a young woman with Down Syndrome, and the realisation that her 75 year old adopted father may have to place her into full time care as he struggles to cope with the issues of careing for her,
its more a visual poem, and suitable for all age groups

I have entered it in the shooting people film of the month, every viewing helps to keep me on the leader board, you can't vote if your not a fully paid up member, but just veiwing would be much appreciated and it helps me keep up the list, link is below, its called Michelle, and it was all shot in Ireland

http://shootingpeople.org/watch/104382/michelle

Many thanks to all for the kind and encouraging words, it was great project, and gave me an insight into Michelle life, it was shot over a 5 day period, of which 3 days Michelle was in my care, so it was an eye opener for me, Michelle was very responsive to the whole thing, and it was an experience I will remember for a long time, apart from the facial differences and some physical differences that Michelle takes in her stride, we are not that different, the biggest problem for her carer ( Peter ) is that her mental age is about 8 years old and this will not improve, I will be following the futures of both so will keep you informed, and I hope if the short film gets enough viewings and I can get a top three place at the end of the month, I can use the publicity to get a bit of funding to do a full 15/30 minute documenatary and do the story justice.

if any one hasn't seen have a look, all the viewings help my position in the film of the month
or if you have any other public forums that you could put the link on please do.

http://shootingpeople.org/watch/104382/Michelle

Sponge

I suppose this a bump

all the best and thanks for the support

Mark - sponge
Last edited by sponge on Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Re: Please take a look at my first short film - Michelle

Post by Nanohedron »

Well done. Well done indeed. :)
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
emmline

Post by emmline »

Yes, it is a visual poem. Sad too. But as I am involved in a sense, I understand.
Denny

Post by Denny »

brilliantly done sponge!
love the piano, b&w, feel & flow :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

My MIL used to teach a "life skills" class. She had some great stories.
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
trill

Post by trill »

Very moving sponge. Gives one cause for pause. I think the combination of piano and black and white works quite well.
mutepointe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by mutepointe »

Dear Mark:

Your film was nice. I like how it showed that folks with Down Syndrome have lives that they enjoy. I like how she smiled when she was sleeping.

My job is to work with foster families that take folks with Intellectual and Development Disabilities into their families. Sometimes the folks come to us from Protective Services and sometimes they come to us from families where the parents have just gotten too old to take care of their family member. I hope Michele has such an option where she lives because that is a wonderful program in West Virginia. I been involved with this program in one was or another for 27 years years.

Thank you for making this film.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Bloody hell, sponge! That was absolutely beautiful. Very, very sad, but beautiful at the same time. That one will stay with me. I'm stunned.
ancientfifer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by ancientfifer »

I am absolutely speechless. I was an independent living counselor and supported employment job coach the first few years after college and later served on a clients rights advisory board. Your film so beautifully expressed her perspective. :sniffle:
ancientfifer is the chiffer formerly known as fifenwhistle (Dec. 2008-January 2014)
Avatar Photo: Colonial Williamsburg Fifes and Drums, July 4th Parade 1976, broadcasted live nationally on CBS.
sponge
Tell us something.: irish music, specifically slow airs played on different whistle keys, also lower keyed flutes like Bb, but only from modern makers who have managed to get the hole spacing a little closer. And finally learning some fiddle tunes, mainly slow airs again so that the whole family don't go mad with the sound of a cat being strangled.

Post by sponge »

Many thanks to all for the kind and encouraging words, it was great project, and gave me an insight into Michelle life, it was shot over a 5 day period, of which 3 days Michelle was in my care, so it was an eye opener for me, Michelle was very responsive to the whole thing, and it was an experience I will remember for a long time, apart from the facial differences and some physical differences that Michelle takes in her stride, we are not that different, the biggest problem for her carer ( Peter ) is that her mental age is about 8 years old and this will not improve, I will be following the futures of both so will keep you informed, and I hope if the short film gets enough viewings and I can get a top three place at the end of the month, I can use the publicity to get a bit of funding to do a full 15/30 minute documenatary and do the story justice.

if any one hasn't seen have a look, all the viewings help my position in the film of the month
or if you have any other public forums that you could put the link on please do.

http://shootingpeople.org/watch/104382/Michelle

Sponge :)
mutepointe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by mutepointe »

I'll post this on my Facebook page. Most of my facebook friends are social workers and families with a person with a disability. They'll be interested in seeing what is going on in a different country.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
NZJLY

Post by NZJLY »

Hi Mark, the imagery was nice, the music good, but I am afraid the imagery did not portray the description that you had written. To me it showed someone with Trisomy 21 who was quite high functioning, and who was content with her life. I got the aging of the father, and death of the mother, but nothing to show the dilemma of what to do with a woman whose time it is to leave home.
I am not sure what long term care options are available for her, but here (New Zealand) Michelle would be in a flatting situation (probably with a couple of others who also suffered some restrictions about how she lived her life) with support to assist her in the areas she needed it.
I am very aware of the dilemma and challenges of "failing" someone by admitting you cannot care for someone any more, and changes need to be made for her own good.
Suggestions I would have (and I am an uncultured heathen) would be showing the facility she is to move into (from it's worst angles of course) and the tears of the father. Also possibly you cold have (sort of like a rolling story) subtitles underneath with descriptions of the internal conflict of Michelle and her father to the looming specter of change. And one last little opinion that the first image should be of Michelle smiling.

Overall a nice piece, poignant and thought provoking and I remind you I am rather concrete in viewing habits (heathen) and my views should be taken in that light.

John
Jarlath.I
Tell us something.: I'm an uilleann piper currently living in Sitka AK. I am looking for information on piping and am looking forward to meet other pipers.

Post by Jarlath.I »

A wonderfully powerful piece. Brilliantly filmed. Thank you for sharing this!!