English or Metric?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!

Do you prefer the English or the Metric system of measurement?

Poll ended at Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:13 pm

English
35%
Metric
65%

Total votes: 20

Whistlin' Will
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

English or Metric?

Post by Whistlin' Will »

This will probably surprise my fellow Americans, but I prefer the Metric system. Besides the ease of converting between units, (no pesky fractions like the English system!) it seems to me that a lot of scientific measurements are based on Metric measurements (like atomic mass units to grams), so it's easier to just use those measurements as they come then convert them to English.
-Will
Out in the sticks
With the hicks
And the ticks

My avatar is a photo of one of my T-shirts.
hans
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've been making whistles since 2010 in my tiny workshop at my home. I've been playing whistle since teenage times.

Re: English or Metric?

Post by hans »

The English system has different meanings in different countries.
Here in the UK we talk about imperial units, whereas in the USA you got American units, which often have the same name but different values! The metric system is unambiguous.

Generally I prefer the metric system I've grown up with in Germany. Since living in Scotland I had to get used to quite a few imperial units, so for length measurements I can use both systems, up to a point. For engineering tasks like in whistle making I prefer to work in mm, as fractions of inches are just too confusing. But quite a few of the aluminium tubing I use come in steps of nominal imperial units, so I have to twist my head around those fractions of inches like 9/16". And the walls may be in SWG wire gauge, which I suppose is another imperial unit. All so much fun to keep the mind flexible!

In my professional gardening past I enthusiastically converted to use the unit of feet to lay out garden beds etc, as my own feet are close enough to be suitable measuring tools!

Generally I think in the UK we got a delightful mess of units in use, even though most standards are now in the metric system, but many keep on using imperial units like pounds, inches and Fahrenheit. Road signs are all in miles, even though the map grid system uses km.

Amazing that we all agree on using the same units for time!
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

Whistlin' Will wrote:the English system
Since when did 'Imperial' become 'English'?
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
Hotblack

Post by Hotblack »

I prefer the metric system in many ways, but am equally at home with imperial measurements. We still travel miles and drink pints.
Cheers

David

I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

Schooling, for me, involved the metric system. I was brought up with Pounds, Shillings and Pence, and saw the advent of Decimalisation. When I studied Architecture, the rulers were in metric, not imperial units. If I'm measuring something with any pretence of accuracy, I'll do it in metric. I am 1.75m tall. Once upon a time I weighed 80 Kg. (I don't care to measure that these days.) If I'm hazarding a guess at a measurement, I'll do it in imperial, by rule of thumb. I wish I could lay that canard about "a stick the width of your thumb" being what you were allowed to beat your wife with. A "thumb" in mediaeval French was a "pouce" - an inch. You measure with your thumb. It gives a good guess, and a good guess is better than a bad measure.
I honestly don't see why people are not allowed to use both measurements. In the UK at the moment shops are required to give measurement in Metric units, and are penalised for showing measurements in Imperial units. It doesn't take much to do both at once. Car speedometers show Mph on one side of the dial and Kmph on the other. Last time I drove in Ireland, which was a while ago, the signposts had the distance in one measurement and the Speed Limit signs were in the other. I can't even remember which way round it was. Does anyone recall? Are they consistent yet? As long as you know what you're getting, who cares whether it's measured in pounds, kilograms or taels? It does help to know whether the speed limit is 80 kmph or mph, though...
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
dwest

Post by dwest »

I just eyeball it and cut. For laying out a garden bed I use a hose.
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Peter Duggan wrote:
English System is the common term here in the States.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
dwest

Post by dwest »

MTGuru wrote:
Peter Duggan wrote:
Actually "Standard" is a more common term or "U.S. units." All my measuring tapes have both.
hans
Tell us something.: I've been making whistles since 2010 in my tiny workshop at my home. I've been playing whistle since teenage times.

Post by hans »

Do they use US units in Canada?
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

MTGuru wrote: English System is the common term here in the States.
Americans have long been trying to avoid the accusation of imperialism. :wink:
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
dwest

Post by dwest »

America's system pre-dates the Imperial system. While we learned from the Imperialists we usually reserve the imperial units for gas containers which are often sold in Canada and parts of the Caribbean where Imperialism and these units are still common. Imperial units just seem to be made for measuring gas...especially hot gas.
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

MTGuru wrote:
Peter Duggan wrote:
Interesting though. I suspect that I had the same reaction as Peter and Hans (or rather, that is, that they might have had the same reaction as me). I haven't voted. And I find it quite impossible to make myself do so, even after it's been explained what is meant. Some things become ingrained through repetition and cultural assimilation, sometimes from a positive point of view and sometimes from a negative point of view. So, using "Imperial" to describe measures doesn't raise an eyebrow over here. Describing them as "English" gets almost everybody's hackles up, including the English.

I can't get past all that, and it's not my fault (as it isn't Americans' fault when they use the term) - it's ingrained.

Having said that, I use metric for some things some of the time and Imperial for some other things at some other times. I keep two sets of weights for my kitchen scales. They take up a lot of room and the two little stacks of weights do have a tendency to get knocked over fairly frequently but I need 'em. For pastry and Christmas items such as cake, pudding etc, I use Imperial. For most other things I use metric. For ordinary measurements of lengths I use Imperial. When measuring a musical instrument, such as that imcomparable instrument - THE FLUTE :D - I use metric. Don't know why, but the Imperial measures seem more artistic and the metric measures seem more 'accurate' and scientific somehow.

My bathroom scales are in metric only, but this is because they are an old doctor's scales with the big bar thingie at the top that you slide the two weights along until it balances. I then convert this into stones and pounds, because I only really understand human weight in stones and pounds. (FWIW, I even have to mentally convert the total weight in pounds used in American TV dramas - presumably reflecting what Americans use - to both stones and pounds before I can grasp what sort of weight they're talking about.)
dwest

Post by dwest »

America's "English" measurements are not the same as "Imperial" measurements which were invented in the early 1800s. We prefer more medieval methods.
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

dwest wrote:America's "English" measurements are not the same as "Imperial" measurements which were invented in the early 1800s. We prefer more medieval methods.
Oh? Oh blimey! In that case, I have no idea what you're all talking about. I'd p'r'aps best shut up. :oops:
mutepointe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by mutepointe »

I'm fine with inches and feet, until I have to divide them into thirds. What do YOU PEOPE call 8 1/2 x 11 inch paper anyway?

I wish there were an easy way to tell what size bolts were, not just between US and metric but what the actual size was. I can't eyeball that kind of stuff.

I have no clue how long a mile or a kilometer is in real life nor do I know how big an acre is. I don't need to know.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦