Copiale Cipher Cracked

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
MTGuru
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Copiale Cipher Cracked

Post by MTGuru »

An acquaintance of mine, Kevin Knight of ISI, has succeeded in deciphering the Copiale Cipher, an 18th century German ciphertext manuscript.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/25/science/25code.html
http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me ... 7585.story

This is very cool. As the LAT article says, it's not really a case of "computer decipherment". The statistical NLP (natural language processing) analysis produced reference data to check hypotheses against, and computing did the grunt work of substitution. The rest was very clever guessing. And it turned out to be a simple substitution cipher.

Here's the page with the ACL paper and copies of the manuscript and decipherments:

http://stp.lingfil.uu.se/~bea/copiale/

Supposedly they're now looking at the Zodiac ciphers, but I rather hope they'll tackle the Voynich Manuscript.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
mutepointe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Copiale Cipher Cracked

Post by mutepointe »

How good for Kevin that he achieved this. How sad for us that the text wasn't the secret recipe to turning pig iron into gold. Unless of course, Kevin is deceiving everyone. Keep an eye on him. See if he starts buying stuff.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
dwest

Post by dwest »

mutepointe wrote:How good for Kevin that he achieved this. How sad for us that the text wasn't the secret recipe to turning pig iron into gold. Unless of course, Kevin is deceiving everyone. Keep an eye on him. See if he starts buying stuff.
I thought the goal was turning pig iron into Dilithium crystals?
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

mutepointe wrote:How sad for us that the text wasn't the secret recipe to turning pig iron into gold.
Yes ... But you gotta admit that a secret Masonic cult obsessed with eyeglasses is a pretty weird result. For all we know, Lenscrafters and Specsavers are actually run by the Knights Templar. Now they're going to kidnap Kevin and give him the Clockwork Orange treatment. This linguistics business is dangerous stuff!
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

When I was a kid I sent away several Cheerios boxtops for a Captain Midnight decoder ring, so I could
decode the secret messages read off at the end of the radio shows: L4, B6, R2.... It was pure agony
not being in on those messages, but greater agony still as the months passed and I waited, waited...
for the ring. Finally it came. I wrote down the coded message at the end of the show
and turned the bezel of the ring to get the letters---'Eat Cheerios!'

I still wake in
the night screaming.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

MTGuru wrote:But you gotta admit that a secret Masonic cult obsessed with eyeglasses is a pretty weird result.
I idly read a bit of the English transcription, and when it got to the esoteric treating-of-the-eyes ritual part I was baffled and amazed at how the weary hours can drive human nature to find ways to make more of itself and its pursuits than is sensible. I thought I'd seen mountains made out of molehills before, but for me that was a pomposity that took my frickin' cake. Plus it's conceptually boring. Hermetic oculists. I mean, please.

I realise that my perspective is wholly due to my being a product of the Age of Reason. And a good thing it is, too.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

MTGuru wrote:Yes ... But you gotta admit that a secret Masonic cult obsessed with eyeglasses is a pretty weird result.
Woah, woah, who said they were Masons?

They were obviously Stonecutters.
They admit to robbing cave fish of their sight.
mutepointe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by mutepointe »

MTGuru wrote:
mutepointe wrote:How sad for us that the text wasn't the secret recipe to turning pig iron into gold.
Yes ... But you gotta admit that a secret Masonic cult obsessed with eyeglasses is a pretty weird result. For all we know, Lenscrafters and Specsavers are actually run by the Knights Templar. Now they're going to kidnap Kevin and give him the Clockwork Orange treatment. This linguistics business is dangerous stuff!
What I gotta admit is that us Illuminati remain under the radar.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦