Consulting the PayPal Oracle

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Denny
antispam: No

Re: Consulting the PayPal Oracle

Post by Denny »

Doug, if you are going to be that careful then why do shun using a secured server?

Not that keying in paypal.com doesn't take you to the address that I posted....
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
Doug_Tipple
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Doug_Tipple »

Denny wrote:Doug, if you are going to be that careful then why do shun using a secured server?

I guess I don't understand your question, and when I don't understand, I have to give my universal reply, "There's no reason for it. It's just my policy". I should say that for ebay purchases I do follow the paypal links on ebay, so that is using a secured server, I suppose. But, like I said before, I don't try to get to paypal through any email. Most of my other online purchases are through Amazon, and they take credit cards but not a paypal transfer, to my knowledge.
Redwolf

Post by Redwolf »

Doug_Tipple wrote:
Denny wrote:Doug, if you are going to be that careful then why do shun using a secured server?

I guess I don't understand your question, and when I don't understand, I have to give my universal reply, "There's no reason for it. It's just my policy". I should say that for ebay purchases I do follow the paypal links on ebay, so that is using a secured server, I suppose. But, like I said before, I don't try to get to paypal through any email. Most of my other online purchases are through Amazon, and they take credit cards but not a paypal transfer, to my knowledge.
I think Amazon DOES take PayPal, actually. I'm pretty sure I've paid for things via Amazon Marketplace using PayPal.

PayPal is a secure system.

I agree with not accessing anything like this through an email. I don't even click on links for my bank through an email...it's just too easy to fall prey to a phishing scheme. But a website that has a PayPal link is a different animal.

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
Denny

Post by Denny »

secure is better than not....

Amazon does take Paypal. Has for quite a while.
Doug_Tipple

Post by Doug_Tipple »

Denny wrote:secure is better than not....

I guess I have overlooked the Amazon paypal payment option. I'll look again the next time that I make an Amazon purchase, which I am sure won't be long. However, with regard to the comparative benefit of using a credit card versus a paypal payment, I'm getting a 1% cash back when I use my credit card, whereas, I don't think that paypal pays me anything when I use their service. Just think, if I bought a thousand dollar flute with my credit card, I would get $10 cash back. That is enough to take my wife out to dinner (the dollar menu at McDonalds). I walked into my bank today, and a 13 month CD is paying 1/2 % interest. That makes me think that I may as well buy flutes with any extra that I have.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Redwolf wrote:But a website that has a PayPal link is a different animal.
Meaning that is a good thing, I take it?

This discussion is proving very helpful, everyone! :)
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

I've used PayPal for 10 years or more, and nary a problem.

If you use PP only for making payments and not receiving them, I'm not sure I understand the need for a separate secure bank account. If you link to a credit card, PP works as a credit card proxy. And I'd rather give my card # to PayPal once than spread it around to umpteen vendors.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

MTGuru wrote:And I'd rather give my card # to PayPal once than spread it around to umpteen vendors.
A very good point, that.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Denny

Post by Denny »

Doug_Tipple wrote:However, with regard to the comparative benefit of using a credit card versus a paypal payment, I'm getting a 1% cash back when I use my credit card, whereas, I don't think that paypal pays me anything when I use their service. Just think, if I bought a thousand dollar flute with my credit card, I would get $10 cash back.
MTGuru wrote:I've used PayPal for 10 years or more, and nary a problem.

If you use PP only for making payments and not receiving them, I'm not sure I understand the need for a separate secure bank account. If you link to a credit card, PP works as a credit card proxy. And I'd rather give my card # to PayPal once than spread it around to umpteen vendors.
Me too, worth the $10
Doug_Tipple

Post by Doug_Tipple »

Denny wrote:secure is better than not....

I was on the Amazon payment screen this evening and failed to see a paypal option. This is understandable since Amazon has a competing online payment similar to paypal. They definately don't want you to pay with paypal. As I can gather from reading the online comments (searching "Amazon paypal"), the only way that you can make a Amazon payment with a paypal account is to have a paypal debit card, which you submit in the credit/debit payment boxes. I have had a paypal account for years, but I have never applied for a paypal debit card, since I figured that I have enough cards already. So, for me, I am not able to make a paypal payment for an Amazon purchase.