The Regolith of Asteroid Eros

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Denny
antispam: No

The Regolith of Asteroid Eros

Post by Denny »

Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
benhall.1
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Re: The Regolith of Asteroid Eros

Post by benhall.1 »

Whistlin' Will
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Whistlin' Will »

Okay, now I just know they're making up words.
-Will
Out in the sticks
With the hicks
And the ticks

My avatar is a photo of one of my T-shirts.
Denny

Post by Denny »

I think I read that book back in the 70s...
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
Doug_Tipple
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Doug_Tipple »

I don't remember hearing about "regoliths" when I was in college. I will have to drop regolith into my daily conversation now and then. If rego = king and lith=rock, I don't see how they came up with regolith for accumulated dust. I was expecting something, well, a little more regal.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Doug_Tipple wrote:I don't remember hearing about "regoliths" when I was in college. I will have to drop regolith into my daily conversation now and then. If rego = king and lith=rock, I don't see how they came up with regolith for accumulated dust. I was expecting something, well, a little more regal.
In this case the first element doesn't come from the Latin, but from the Greek. A quick gander at Wikipedia tells us:
The term regolith combines two Greek words: rhegos (ῥῆγος), "blanket", and lithos (λίθος), "rock". George P. Merrill first defined the term in 1897, writing:

In places this covering is made up of material originating through rock-weathering or plant growth in situ. In other instances it is of fragmental and more or less decomposed matter drifted by wind, water or ice from other sources. This entire mantle of unconsolidated material, whatever its nature or origin, it is proposed to call the regolith.
Now "blanket" certainly makes sense. BTW - if I understand these things correctly - if the Latin term for "king" had been used the word should have been "regilith", and thus the G conventionally pronounced as a J. How much difference one letter makes...
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
dwest

Post by dwest »

Doug_Tipple wrote:I don't remember hearing about "regoliths" when I was in college. I will have to drop regolith into my daily conversation now and then. If rego = king and lith=rock, I don't see how they came up with regolith for accumulated dust. I was expecting something, well, a little more regal.
All looks like Leaverite to me unless of course it's Trasherite, one can never be too sure about these things from just a photo.