Am I the only one..

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Jack
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Jack »

talasiga wrote:
Cranberry wrote:.....
It's like saying "you won't get pregnant if you pull out." It's not true. It can (and does) still happen. There may be a slighter chance, but it's still significant enough to warn people about.
I hope you are not stigmatising pregnancy. Walden doesn't like stigmatising.

Anyway, men don't get pregnant.
Of course men don't get pregnant. I know that, and so does Congratulations. He is also intelligent enough to know that that's not the point.
Ro3b

Post by Ro3b »

Tobacco is a magnificent drug. Of course it will kill you if you overindulge, just like alcohol will. But most cigar and pipe smokers I know don't partake nearly as often as cigarette smokers do. Enjoying a good cigar takes an investment of an hour or more of relative idleness. I couldn't manage more than three or four a week if I wanted to. By contrast, a cigarette is basically a syringe.

I love Honduran maduros the best. Punch, Maria Mancini, El Rey del Mundo.
Jack

Post by Jack »

I confess to liking to collect cigar boxes. They're nifty things to have around. However, I don't own any because I'm weird and minimalist like that.
talasiga
antispam: No

Post by talasiga »

Cranberry wrote:...... the point.
The point is that when there is an unwanted preganacy its the woman that is likely to be stigmatised but when a man and a woman smoke together for many enjoyable years and they get unwanted cancers from it we must not stigmatise their choice of enjoyment.

Its a point that gets under my skin.
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit
fel bautista
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fel bautista »

Congratulations wrote: My favorite pipe tobaccos are McClelland's Frog Morton on the Bayou and Dunhill's Standard Medium. Both superb. My favorite cigar is a Padron 1964.
when I used to smoke a pipe a long time ago, it was Red Rappary(??sp) and medium bowl Dunhill. Can't remember the model, but it smokd really well. Early Morning pipe and a Charatan bowl-kinda shape
Caj

Post by Caj »

When I was in grad school, some students at the nearby seminary got onto a pipe kick and started smoking pipes in the grad student bar.

My immediate reaction to the smoke was, "cripes, they smell like that store in the mall that sells crystal dragons and monogrammed golf club covers." I don't think I told them that.

It's a funny thing, what mental flotsam is evoked by the smell of smoke. Cigarette smoke is pretty neutral, maybe because I'm used to the smell.
But pipe smoke is just weird, and cigar smoke evokes immediate disgust.

There was a dude who smoked a cigar at our session locale in NJ. You know how sitting in a smoky bar for hours can make your clothes and hair smell like the devil personally farted through them? That one cigar made the whole bar smell like that, instantly.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Caj wrote:There was a dude who smoked a cigar at our session locale in NJ. You know how sitting in a smoky bar for hours can make your clothes and hair smell like the devil personally farted through them? That one cigar made the whole bar smell like that, instantly.
Happened here, too. We got up and left, it was so acrid. And I'm a smoker.

I don't have a problem with cigars and pipe tobacco per se, but I think lighting them up in closed public spaces is very bad form. Any tobacco, for that matter, but cigars in particular.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

I'd rather smell any kind of smoke than perfume. I think stale cigarette smell is pretty darn bad, and I smoke cigarettes (outside only), but I'd honestly rather smell an old dirty ashtray than any perfume. My preference would be to smell neither, but that perfumey smell really can make me feel sort of sick.
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
Doug_Tipple
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Doug_Tipple »

My grandfather smoked a pipe, and so did my dad. Naturally, I started to smoke a pipe when I left home for college. I noticed that many of the college professors in my department also smoked pipes, even in the classroom while teaching. I remember the enjoyable trips to the pipe shop on the downtown square in Bloomington, Indiana to buy pipes and tobacco. Then I started buying tobacco by mail order (no internet then). I had different kinds of pipe tobacco in canisters all over the room. The college dormitory had been used as a barracks during WWII, and the whole building was made from plywood. With many of the guys smoking in the rooms, it was a fire trap, but with luck there were no fires before the building was demolished a few years later. When I think back to the thick smoke cloud that I made when I lit the pipe in the dining hall, I am embarassed to say that I didn't think about what others might think of the smoke that I was creating for them to breathe.

Soon, though, pipes were not enough. I also started smoking cigarettes and cigars, and then I started using chewing tobacco and snuff when I was working in the factory and couldn't smoke cigarettes. Years later I decided to call it quits with tobacco entirely. I haven't had a smoke in fifteen years, and I can't say that I miss it much. If anyone were to ask my advice in the matter, I would suggest that they follow suit and give up tobacco in all forms. It isn't an easy thing to do, but it is something that can be done.
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

Doug_Tipple wrote: It isn't an easy thing to do, but it is something that can be done.
And it's worth doing!
Reasonable person
Walden
Unseen122
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

I hate the smell of smoke inside and am happy it has been banned in a lot of places, and I smoke Cigarettes. As far as the health risks from smoking Tobacco, I think at this day in age smokers know that it is bad for them. As I like to say, I don't smoke for my health. I have been thinking about getting a Pipe as a way to cut back on Cigarettes, but I only smoke Cigars after the tobacco has been taken out and replaced with something else. I encourage smokers to switch to roll your own cigarettes as good rolling tobacco costs half as much as an expensive Cigarette, and it reduces the amount of times you smoke because you have to roll it and a fat rollie lasts twice as long as a regular cig.
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

Unseen122 wrote:I have been thinking about getting a Pipe as a way to cut back on Cigarettes, but I only smoke Cigars after the tobacco has been taken out and replaced with something else.
Replaced with what?
Reasonable person
Walden
Congratulations

Post by Congratulations »

Unseen122 wrote:I hate the smell of smoke inside and am happy it has been banned in a lot of places, and I smoke Cigarettes. As far as the health risks from smoking Tobacco, I think at this day in age smokers know that it is bad for them. As I like to say, I don't smoke for my health. I have been thinking about getting a Pipe as a way to cut back on Cigarettes, but I only smoke Cigars after the tobacco has been taken out and replaced with something else. I encourage smokers to switch to roll your own cigarettes as good rolling tobacco costs half as much as an expensive Cigarette, and it reduces the amount of times you smoke because you have to roll it and a fat rollie lasts twice as long as a regular cig.
Yeah, I rolled my own. They're cheaper and they taste better.
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
Folkwench

Post by Folkwench »

I roll my own, it's a lot cheaper and theres less waste. When i'm having a cigarette and my darling daughter starts shouting for some thing I can put it down and it goes out instead of burning down to the butt and setting fire to the ash tray. that has got to be one of the most disgusting smells ever.
May those who love me, love me.
May those who don't love me grow to love me.
and for all the rest, may god turn their knees so I know them by their limp
Caj

Post by Caj »

Folkwench wrote:I roll my own, it's a lot cheaper and theres less waste. When i'm having a cigarette and my darling daughter starts shouting for some thing I can put it down and it goes out instead of burning down to the butt and setting fire to the ash tray. that has got to be one of the most disgusting smells ever.
Back in the 80s, when public service announcements warned about the dangers of smoking in bed, there was an expose on television about the partial culpability of cigarette manufacturers.

Apparently makers could have sold cigs that burn out if left alone, but users would waste less and buy less.

I guess it's a sign of progress that you don't have PSAs about smoking in bed anymore; I just realized that the Simpsons episode with Ned setting his pants on fire to warn against smoking in bed is probably lost on kids today.