Whistles with 2+ octaves

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
ObieWhistler
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Whistles with 2+ octaves

Post by ObieWhistler »

In our session there are several tunes circulating that go from A4 to B6. (Damn those fiddles with their four strings!) Are there any good quality whistles that will cover more than two octaves, or are those last few notes always too shrill and badly tuned for polite company?
Peter Duggan
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Re: Whistles with 2+ octaves

Post by Peter Duggan »

IMHO all good whistles will cover more than two octaves. But if you're talking about the B that's nearly three octaves above the bell D then, no, that's neither comfortable nor idiomatic for trad tunes when you're likely to be dealing with awkward/non-standard fingerings and shrieking timbre even on the few that can get there, so really need to be thinking about whistles in alternative keys (perhaps A for a tune in A or D with the range you mention) and/or folding.
Last edited by Peter Duggan on Sun Feb 08, 2015 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
stanton135
Tell us something.: Hi Nano. I was somewhat active on the Chiffboards maybe 5 or 6 years ago, participating in several whistle tours (Bracker, Hardy, Ellis). I took a break from the Chiffboards, and music mostly, for several years because I got a full-time job and had a baby. I'm easing back into the music, though (which is great, I missed it). It's good to be back!

Post by stanton135 »

Some whistles handle the high notes better than other whistles do. I was struck by how well the Reviol low D behaves up high back when I had it on tour.

For playing those pesky/wonderful fiddle tunes that dip down onto the G string, you'd really want a G or an A whistle, usually A (like Mr. Duggan suggested). Just about all A whistles will cover the A4 to B6 range you mentioned--but some will be better balanced than others.

I've been trying to decide what make of mezzo A whistle I should buy and use for just this purpose. As far as I know, though, Reviol doesn't make an A whistle. So, right now I'm leaning towards a Burke A with a thumbhole (for the high Gnat), but I haven't decided yet.
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

stanton135 wrote:For playing those pesky/wonderful fiddle tunes that dip down onto the G string, you'd really want a G or an A whistle
The thing is ... In my years playing sessions, I have never, ever seen anyone reach for an A whistle when one of those fiddle G-string tunes comes up. Well, I take that back: I've probably done that myself as a lark, but as a lark. Nor have I ever seen seen pipers reach for an A chanter or fluters for an A flute.

The standard, time-tested approach is to simply fold up the sub-D notes on the Irish winds. You learn the folded setting, because that is, in effect, the wind setting of the tune. It's really that simple. Oh sure, if you're playing in some sort of arranged setting - recording a soundtrack or such - where you absolutely must track the exact octaves, then you'll use the right instrument to cover the key and range. Otherwise, you fold. It's the traditionally expected skill and approach. Just because you can switch instruments doesn't mean you should.

So in the context of the OP question to say "you'd really want a G or an A whistle" is, I think, misleading.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
ytliek

Post by ytliek »

stanton135 wrote:I've been trying to decide what make of mezzo A whistle I should buy and use for just this purpose. As far as I know, though, Reviol doesn't make an A whistle. So, right now I'm leaning towards a Burke A with a thumbhole (for the high Gnat), but I haven't decided yet.
There have been a few recent comments about low A mezzo whistles. Whistles for thought:

McManus makes a low A
viewtopic.php?p=1155711#p1155711

Tommy makes a low A
viewtopic.php?p=1155188#p1155188

Sindts come up available every so often but you have to be quick... its a Sindt.
Sirchronique
Tell us something.: I like whistles, flutes, lyres, cittern/mandolin/bouzouki family instruments, as well as heavy and nasty slap bass. Languages, linguistics, history (especially Migration Period and Bronze Age Europe), cuisine from various parts of Latin America, chili growing, bushcraft, and the works of JRR Tolkien also tickle my fancy.

Post by Sirchronique »

ytliek wrote:
stanton135 wrote:I've been trying to decide what make of mezzo A whistle I should buy and use for just this purpose. As far as I know, though, Reviol doesn't make an A whistle. So, right now I'm leaning towards a Burke A with a thumbhole (for the high Gnat), but I haven't decided yet.
There have been a few recent comments about low A mezzo whistles. Whistles for thought:

McManus makes a low A

Tommy makes a low A

Sindts come up available every so often but you have to be quick... its a Sindt.
But one should keep in mind that the A Sindt is the quietest of any of the keys made, and you won't hear it in a sizable session. A very nice whistle, but quiet

I agree with MT Guru, that the best thing to do is find out how to get the tune to fit on a D whistle. I don't necessarily agree that you "shouldn't" play it on an A whistle with others if you like the sound of it better, but I think it is a necessary skill to be able to play such tunes on a regular whistle. Also, in addition to what MT Guru has stated, it is simply more convenient to not have to switch.
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

MTGuru wrote:You learn the folded setting, because that is, in effect, the wind setting of the tune.
MTGuru wrote:Just because you can switch instruments doesn't mean you should.
Sirchronique wrote:I agree with MT Guru, that the best thing to do is find out how to get the tune to fit on a D whistle. I don't necessarily agree that you "shouldn't" play it on an A whistle with others if you like the sound of it better, but I think it is a necessary skill to be able to play such tunes on a regular whistle.
Yes, it's a valuable/necessary/expected skill, but doesn't always produce a decent or even acceptable setting. Some tunes can take it but others are ruined by it and, while such deficiencies may not show so much in group situations where you've got other instruments covering the folded notes, it seems artificially limiting to suggest that it's somehow more correct to play the compromised versions.
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
colomon
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Post by colomon »

MTGuru wrote:The thing is ... In my years playing sessions, I have never, ever seen anyone reach for an A whistle when one of those fiddle G-string tunes comes up.
Clearly you're not hanging around Michigan enough. ;)

For me, it all depends on the tune. Some tunes are great with their low notes folded up, and some of them are emasculated by it. Unsurprisingly, tunes that are big in the Irish traditional flute playing world tend to be ones that work well folded; presumably ones that don't fold well don't tend to make it into that repertoire. Even something like "Michael Reilly's", which works nicely on a low G whistle, is still great folded on a D whistle, and wouldn't justify pulling out the low G just to play it.

On the other hand, "Bea Maye's" (which I don't believe I've ever heard played on flute) is so much nicer on A whistle I've completely forgotten how to play it on a D. And there are loads of Newfoundland fiddle and accordion tunes that are just plain better when you get all the notes in the right place. For instance, I first learned "Mrs. Belle's Chain" in D, which forces you to play one note in each phrase of one of the parts folded up. But that really makes that part of the tune sound kind of flabby. As soon as I tried it on the A whistle, I never went back to D. I notice the one recording of it with flute that I've heard transposes the tune up to G...
Sol's Tunes (new tune 2/2020)
Lars Larry Mór Mott
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Lars Larry Mór Mott »

ytliek wrote:

McManus makes a low A

Tommy makes a low A

Or, Kevin Crawfords and my choice, Löfgren A :)
I have probably said this more than once, but that A is my second most used whistle after the D.
Wouldn't mind a McManus though, my blackwood D is a gem!
the artist formerly known as Mr_Blackwood
tomcat
Tell us something.: Used to live in Gilbert, AZ which is a suburb of Phoenix. Recently moved to Portland OR. Argh. Not sure if this is meeting the requirement of number of characters, but I'm trying.

Post by tomcat »

stanton135 wrote:. As far as I know, though, Reviol doesn't make an A whistle. So, right now I'm leaning towards a Burke A with a thumbhole (for the high Gnat), but I haven't decided yet.
actually, he does if you ask him. :)

you can now order it as well on the irish flute store page.

meanwhile - what exactly is "folding"? is it finding alternative notes? i am not familiar with this term.
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

tomcat wrote:meanwhile - what exactly is "folding"? is it finding alternative notes? i am not familiar with this term.
Generally it means that if a note falls below the whistle range, you play it/fold it (the note, not the whistle) up an octave which presumably puts it within the range of the whistle. If the note is above the range of the whistle, you play it down an octave.

This may disrupt the melody line—as noted above a couple of times—but it does keep the "we're all playing the same notes at the same time" premise intact. Mostly it's aimed at flute/whistle players who sometimes suffer from octave envy...

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
ObieWhistler

Post by ObieWhistler »

Just to clarify, I'm talking about a whistle that would go from the A two lines below the staff to, let's say, the C two lines above the staff - two FULL octaves plus a third.
chas

Post by chas »

ObieWhistler wrote:Just to clarify, I'm talking about a whistle that would go from the A two lines below the staff to, let's say, the C two lines above the staff - two FULL octaves plus a third.
I've never met a Burke that couldn't do two octaves and a fourth, maybe a fifth. I've never played one of his A's, have been able to do half the third octave on a d, c, low-G and -D.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
sbfluter

Post by sbfluter »

Like others said, you have to play the notes up or down an octave when they don't "fit" in the range of your whistle. Alternatively you could maybe play notes in the same chord, like if we're just talking about pickup notes you could skip them or play different pickup notes.
~ Diane
Flutes: Tipple D and E flutes and a Casey Burns Boxwood Rudall D flute
Whistles: Jerry Freeman Tweaked D Blackbird
flutemaker
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by flutemaker »

Hi,
I made a batch of A bodies that fit into the fipple that is used in my Low E, F and G whistles.
Technically, the diameter should be smaller to have a better ratio between length and diameter. But I tried it out and it seems to work fine. With those A bodies, I usually offer that people try them out and if they don't like those, they can simply send it back.
If you have one of my Low E, F or G whistles, the A bodies will fit...

Jsut give me a PM and I can sort something out, if you want..
or probably better via Facebook or my website, I am not that often here...

Regards,
Maurice