Found a video: Down by the Salley Gardens

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Dog Whistler
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Found a video: Down by the Salley Gardens

Post by Dog Whistler »

Hi folks,

I was trawling youtube for whistle videos and came across this rendition of Down by the Salley Gardens, a song I've loved as a song, and lamented having no singing voice worthy of it, but now realise that I might be able to play it on this little tube thing!

But my question is whether this rendition is any good. Obviously, I'm impressed, but what do the educated ears on here think of it? Something to emulate?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFHz0ts ... ZfnFzO_GPw

I'm still on less than two weeks practice, still working on Twinkle Twinkle Little Star and still struggling to consistently hit D but you've got to have goals, otherwise where's the motivation?

Cheers
Feadoggie

Re: Found a video: Down by the Salley Gardens

Post by Feadoggie »

Dog Whistler wrote:But my question is whether this rendition is any good.
I'm not the judge or jury on these things. I am partial to this version for many reasons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LrZa-QcNQA

Joanie, the one and only!

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
ytliek
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by ytliek »

The tune is lovely. DW just keep practicing and listening... its the only way to get where you want to be. Keep it fun.

With enough practice you'll make the Sally Gardens your own. That's what its really about, making the tunes your own.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Feadoggie wrote:I am partial to this version for many reasons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LrZa-QcNQA

Joanie, the one and only!
That IS the stuff. :)

Dog Whistler, about the playing in your link: It's not bad, but it's not advanced either, and since you're learning, I think it's important to compare it to Joannie's now that we have that here and can easily do so. Even if her version isn't your thing for some reason I couldn't fathom, there's a lot more to be learned out of her playing, and the good news is, what she's doing isn't really difficult. It IS fine-tuned, though. But that's what you want to pick up, right? :)
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
BigDavy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by BigDavy »

My favourite singer of the Saileach Gardens is Maura O'Connell.

Transatlantic Sessions - Down by the Saileach Gardens Ronan Browne on the flute plays a nice sensitive version of the tune, (Maids of the Mourne Shore), during the instrumental break.

David
Payday, Piping, Percussion and Poetry- the 4 best Ps
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

BigDavy wrote:My favourite singer of the Saileach Gardens is Maura O'Connell.
In a kind of "best of both worlds" experience for me Maura O'Connell toured with Cherish the Ladies for an Irish Homecoming concert series a couple years ago. Maura O'Connell singing and Joanie Madden playing Down By The Salley Gardens - priceless.

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
nursefroggy

Post by nursefroggy »

Thank you for the links, Feadoggie and BigDavey.
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

The Joanie Madden one is brilliantly done, but I find it hard to listen to for two very specific reasons (maybe specific to me): I can't stand that much echo; and I don't like the droopy bits at the end of notes. I imagine it's done like that because people kind of expect it, and it's become popular to do both of those things. However, I would say that it's perfectly placed to do exactly what she intends - there's stunning control in that playing.

The Transatlantic Sessions version is amazing. Beautiful singing, beautiful playing and lovely harmony.
whoanellie

Post by whoanellie »

What I hear in Ms Madden's playing is a quality I admire in all the best instrumentalists--they sound as if they're singing the tune through their instrument, not simply rendering the tune on an instrument. Indeed, that demands great control, and also a thoroughly personal intimacy with the tune itself. If it sounds easy and effortless, just try to emulate what Joanie did there. :twisted:
Let's just breathe....
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

Joannie is awesome! But that Maura O Connell version is the best I've ever heard. Amazing stuff.

I humbly submit my own version, on a Ronaldo Reyburn Low C.

My breathing here is sub-par because I'm suffering from a respiratory infection, hence the frequent gasps for air.

And don't watch the end! My little Flip camera isn't working right, and I had to push the button several times to get the darn thing to stop recording!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWr434aFHQk
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
meanswell

Post by meanswell »

Yes...as has been said before...it's primarily about listening, once all the other choices have been made...or NOT even...
It's one thing to read the written notation of any music, but rarely does that convey the emotion involved in the rendition, which is what it is really all about....and listening takes time, patience, and Love.....otherwise it's just a bunch of notes played in the right order... :)