Classify a Gen Bb?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
celticlibero
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: HI I play whistle and mandola, my main interest is Irish trad going back to Planxty and Bothy Band days. I quit for a while but now getting back in to it and trying to learn the low d.

Re: Classify a Gen Bb?

Post by celticlibero »

I'll need to get along to my nearest instrument shop (Scayles in Edinburgh) and try out an A.If that's possible in these Covid times. You said you played an F. I have an Overton low D I bought years ago but never really managed the pipers grip, is it possible to play the low F in standard fingering? Sorry if that;s getting off the gen Bb topic
Narzog
Tell us something.: Can play several instruments at an unimpressive level. Currently most interested in whistling with a side of acoustic guitar.

Post by Narzog »

Alto A whistles are nice because some D tunes you can play it as a low D if the song range allows it (if the tune doesnt use the lowest 3 notes on your D you can play it on an A an octave lower, different fingerings obviously).

Because A and Bb are only half a step apart a Bb size tube and mouthpiece can work fine for an A body, it will only be a little easier to overblow.
hans
Tell us something.: I've been making whistles since 2010 in my tiny workshop at my home. I've been playing whistle since teenage times.

Post by hans »

celticlibero wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:19 am I'll need to get along to my nearest instrument shop (Scayles in Edinburgh) and try out an A.If that's possible in these Covid times. You said you played an F. I have an Overton low D I bought years ago but never really managed the pipers grip, is it possible to play the low F in standard fingering? Sorry if that;s getting off the gen Bb topic
Playing a low F should be possible without piper's grip, unless you got smallish hands.
fatmac
Tell us something.: Kickbiker - at over 70!
:lol:

Post by fatmac »

I'd be more inclined to say that low 'G' is the last size that most people can play without using pipers grip.

I've got average sized male hands & low 'F' is right on the border line for me, but more comfortable with pipers grip.
Keith.
Trying to do justice to my various musical instruments.
hans
Tell us something.: I've been making whistles since 2010 in my tiny workshop at my home. I've been playing whistle since teenage times.

Post by hans »

fatmac wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 2:24 am I'd be more inclined to say that low 'G' is the last size that most people can play without using pipers grip.

I've got average sized male hands & low 'F' is right on the border line for me, but more comfortable with pipers grip.
Yes, I actually agree with you. I play a low F with offset finger holes, which makes it comfortable for standard grip covering with finger tips.
fatmac wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 2:52 am My regular keys are 'A' & low 'G', closely followed by low 'F' - there's just 'something' about these keys.... :D
Indeed, those are mine too, the Goldilocks keys, not too high and not too low, not too large and not too small, just very comfortable! Low F is my favourite though.
celticlibero
Tell us something.: HI I play whistle and mandola, my main interest is Irish trad going back to Planxty and Bothy Band days. I quit for a while but now getting back in to it and trying to learn the low d.

Post by celticlibero »

Thanks all for the advice, I've been listening to a lot of tunes on the low f on utube and yes there is something special about that key. I'll look out for a starter one, maybe a Dixon? Will look out for A as well. I haven't played for a while so it's good to be getting back into it.
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

The Generation Bb is one whistle of a few that are an excellent choice off the shelf. :thumbsup:
''Whistles of Wood'', cpvc and brass. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69086
Narzog
Tell us something.: Can play several instruments at an unimpressive level. Currently most interested in whistling with a side of acoustic guitar.

Post by Narzog »

celticlibero wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:19 am Thanks all for the advice, I've been listening to a lot of tunes on the low f on utube and yes there is something special about that key. I'll look out for a starter one, maybe a Dixon? Will look out for A as well. I haven't played for a while so it's good to be getting back into it.
Low F is a wonderful key. Dixon doesnt make a low F anymore. I would consider going for a MK Kelpie if you don't need tunable. I've had a lot of complaints with my cheaper whistles, but I love my MK low D. I expect the F to be equally amazing. You could still really like a cheaper one. But my MK leaves me with no regrets.
fatmac
Tell us something.: Kickbiker - at over 70!
:lol:

Post by fatmac »

My first low 'F' was a Shearwater, it's a very nice whistle, quite mellow, but then I got the chance of an MK Kelpie, & that is a really great whistle - so you pay your money..... :D
Keith.
Trying to do justice to my various musical instruments.
Prairie4dude
Tell us something.: I am somewhat new to the Irish whistle, and am interested in improving my technique and getting a bit more up-to-speed on the instrument. My background is that of a recorder player, and I have had to make some technical adjustments when switching to the whistle, but it's been a fun journey thus far. Currently, I play a Killarney high D, an MK Pro low D, a Goldie alto F, and two Goldfinch whistles (high D and alto G).

Post by Prairie4dude »

Interesting discussion. I, too, am thinking of getting a Bb or A, or maybe both! The Goldfinch ones (reviewed as a set on Youtube by Nathaniel Dowell about a year ago) seem like a really good value. I already have a Goldfinch (alto) G and like it a lot. I can sort of get away with the standard grip on that Goldfinch G but I find it more comfortable to use the piper's grip, which I got accustomed to from playing my Goldie F and MK Pro low D (both of which I had for some time before I got the Goldfinch G).