Elaphone: A flared fipple flute constucted from staves

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.

should Wikipedia accept elaphone as a variety of woodwind

yes: the elaphone should be considered a new woodwind
9%
no: this instrument has not yet established credability
91%

Total votes: 22

cory little
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Elaphone: A flared fipple flute constucted from staves

Post by cory little »

My name is Cory Little, and I reside in the coastal mountains of Oregon. Making musical instruments have been my way of life since I began making hand drums from all recycled woods in early January of 2000. I also have produced tone boxes, fretless electric basses, and most relevant to the creation of the elaphone; staved didgerydoos.

In 2012 I made my first staved transverse flutes, they were nice sounding mahogany tubes, made by gluing angled strips of wood into a tube, but they were not easy to play. So while I was very exited to be able to use my knowledge as a music major, in my woodworking, it was not paying the bills.. There was short length of a tapered tube laying around my shop, it had been cut off the top of a thick oak didgerydoo many years ago, and had never found a purpose. In March of 2012 I stuffed a dowel in the end, channeling the air across a recorder style fipple, and it worked..

I quickly produced a batch of 15 tapered tubes, and turned them into flutes, and out of those, only 5 of them worked. I enjoy challenges and puzzles, so dispite the economic setbacks, I spent the rest of 2012 making "prototypes". Most were gifted to friends and family. I was inspired by "flute-boxing" videos to expand the mouthpiece. While working with this funnel shaped blow chamber, I found that the wet-out issue could be eliminated by creating a smooth rolling turbulence, allowing for a wider channel. I did this by using a spoon shape on the lower portion, and compressing the air with a shape like the profile of a cattle horn. This creates an eddy effect that changes location depending on how hard you blow. This causes more air to come up through the fipple hole when you blow harder, bringing out better high notes, and more air to pass under when you blow slow, giving better bass resonence. By the end of 2012, I had full confidence in my ability to resonate a tapered sound champer. I settled on minor diatonic tuning, because it can also play the relative major, and my personal favorite, the blues pentatonic..

I spent spring of 2013 in production of dozens of elaphones, a name I derived from the first letter of my last name.(I tell folks it means "elegent sound"). I knew it was not yet selling season, so I just kept producing, and unlike the drums that require $20-30 in material to make, I can make elaphones with just; time, energy, and wood glue. Since I have several gallons of glue (TB2), and I use recycled wood, all it took is gas for my generator. I carved stamps to mark my work in January, and I added peace symbols to the mouthpieces in March.

I made a sound demo on soundcloud, it can be found by looking up elaphone, or my name.

I took them to the rainbow gathering in Montana in July, and traded one for a crystal ball, I could have traded them all..
They were a hit at the Indidjinus festival in August, and are now in the hands of performing musicians.. One went to a young beatboxer,.. and I can't wait to see him on stage with it next year.

I attempted to add a definition to wikipedia, but it got taken down, and I recieved a harsh email from a moderator.

so here's my questions to seed the topic:
when was the last time a new woodwind was accepted?
do you think the elaphone a new instrument??
Last edited by cory little on Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mutepointe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Elaphone: A flared fipple flute constucted from staves

Post by mutepointe »

I didn't vote but I have questions. What makes this instrument substantially different from a penny whistle? I'm not skilled in making whistles or anything. I'm just asking.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
MadmanWithaWhistle
Tell us something.: Instrument maker and researcher exploring new methods of creating traditional instruments with longevity aforethought. Player of the whistle, flute, and continental European border pipes.

Post by MadmanWithaWhistle »

A lot of makers offer "specialty" woodwinds, but they don't have a wikipedia page either. I think your instrument has to be regularly played by a decent sized group of people to be really considered a "new" instrument. A couple youtube videos would be cool as well to satisfy what I'm sure is growing curiosity from this forum.
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

I'm not voting. We have no say over Wikipedia. You might want appeal to Stephen Colbert on that. He seems to get things done on Wiki.

As for the instrument I do not think I see anything new there. It's a duct flute. There are hundreds of duct flutes particular to different ethnic groups throughout the world. The scales have been done by several whistle makers. The increasing bore is not unique. The noise making mechanism is fairly common in design.

Then there's the name. It's already in use. Got the tee shirt.

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
cory little

Post by cory little »

mutepointe wrote:I didn't vote but I have questions. What makes this instrument substantially different from a penny whistle?
nice question :pint: : My first response is the constant outward taper, starting at the mouthpiece..
I also think the inside being composed of flat sides, rather than round, has a huge effect on the sound...
which is my strongest point: an elaphone sounds totally different than a penny whistle..
,and an elaphone will stand on end..
,and you can play the blues scale on an elaphone...
..and it's made out of angled strips of wood..
,the expanded mouthpiece on the elaphone can be played WHILE whistling, or beatboxing,.. or even humming and whistling at the same time..
I could probably think of more, but the most notable is the general shape..

I think there is more similarity between a clarinet and a saxophone, than a penny whistle and an elaphone..

thanks
-Cory
Last edited by cory little on Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cory little

Post by cory little »

Feadoggie wrote:I'm not voting. We have no say over Wikipedia. You might want appeal to Stephen Colbert on that. He seems to get things done on Wiki.

As for the instrument I do not think I see anything new there. It's a duct flute. There are hundreds of duct flutes particular to different ethnic groups throughout the world. The scales have been done by several whistle makers. The increasing bore is not unique. The noise making mechanism is fairly common in design.

Then there's the name. It's already in use. Got the tee shirt.

Feadoggie
Well my research into duct flutes did not provide me with anything with an outward taper.. I must point out this DRASTICALLY changes the overblow frequencies, and the sound of the instrument in general..

Were have you seen the consant increasing bore on a fipple flute? I am calling you on that!! please show me an example?..

Besides, calling it a "duct flute" is like calling it a fipple flute, or an Aerophone.. it's a general statement and does not define any perticular instrument.. "duct flute" --> shot down. :P . it's an elaphone

The T-shirt is great.. but changes nothing in the meaning of the word, as that is obviously just a different use for the word.. and does not even define it as a real thing..
farmerjones

Post by farmerjones »

Hello, fellow Oregonian! Welcome to the whistle forum. I'm sure sure if this could be a "new" instrument, but it's definitely a design of flute/whistle/fife/whatever that I haven't seen before. It looks really interesting. If you're ever near PDX, let me know and I'll give one a shot. :D
Whistlin' since 2013
ecohawk
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by ecohawk »

Cory,

Welcome to the Chiff & Fipple whistle forum. You might consider asking this question on the World/Folk Winds forum here on C&F. Lots of different fipple based and non fipple based woodwinds there. Here we talk about whistles. There's also a flute forum where they talk about...well flutes. No fipples there.

Others have made whistle type instruments using flat sides. Daniel Bingamon sold a square tube whistle. He called it a whistle. It sounded like a whistle. Others have also made whistles with reverse tapered bores or as you call it "outward taper". Lochlan comes to mind. So does Garvie. Since you're calling folks out about "constant increasing bore", here's where I "show you an example" or two. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=91995&view=next. Still sounds like a whistle. He calls it a whistle. Plays like one too. There are whistles that play blues scale. I can do it on a regular whistle, but I think Hans Bracker makes one if I'm not mistaken. I know Erik the Flutmaker makes one. Colin Goldie probably would too. I think Daniel Bingamon makes one as well.

Maybe you have a new instrument. As previously stated, get a few folks to play it, create a market or at least a following, then you can call it what you want. Not trying to sound sarcastic but you've challenged folks here quite a lot while defending your assertions about the uniqueness of your instrument so make your case by proving there's interest in your "new" instrument.

When I was a kid, lots of us used to put wax paper over a comb and blow across it making a kind of a kazoo sound. Never really caught on but it sounded cool and it certainly was a completely original use of wax paper and combs. No wikipedia article for it either. Bummer.

good luck
ecohawk
"Never get one of those cheap tin whistles. It leads to much harder drugs like pipes and flutes." - anon
ytliek
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by ytliek »

I like the wood, but, is it treated in any way to prevent warping, splitting, separating?
cory little

Post by cory little »

ytliek wrote:I like the wood, but, is it treated in any way to prevent warping, splitting, separating?
I use shilac, because it's non-toxic once it has dried. I've been a woodworker for long enough to only use well seasoned wood when making musical instruments, this eliminates warpage and splitting, and is not hard to do when using all recycled wood.
They are assembled with waterpoof glue, and the strips are fairly flexable before they are assembled.. They just don't have enough leverage to pry away from each other..

I do fully understand your fears, as that is exactly why I don't make staved didgerydoos anymore.. They could not survive sitting in the car during a festival.. My drums never had that problem, and niether do the flutes.. The layering I do that creates the patterns also strengthens and stiffens the instrument. it's not just for looks.
thanks
-Cory
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

ecohawk wrote:Others have also made whistles with reverse tapered bores or as you call it "outward taper". Lochlan comes to mind. So does Garvie.
Think what Nigel Richard (Garvie Bagpipes) calls 'reverse' conical bore is actually 'normal' conical bore to whistlers (so merely reversed from pipe chanters), but will check when I see him this weekend (picking up my new border pipes on Saturday!).
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
maki

Post by maki »

Cool construction.
Reminds me of hollow built sail boat masts of the past.
It was a common technique before extruded aluminum, and was
actually considered high performance at one time.

Nice looking craftsmanship too.
But, I would agree with with others and say there probably isn't much
you can do with natural materials that hasn't been done.
That ain't bad mind you, just nothing new.

You might find that if you taper the other way, like a Clark or Copeland whistle
it might be more useful.

So again, nice work and thanks for sharing. I like making stuff too, and greatly
admire beautiful craftsmanship.
mutepointe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by mutepointe »

That last picture does look very nice. Besides the look, I am thinking the sound is what most folks care about. Please post some clips, video clips are the best, that way we could see the whole shebang. A few different types of songs on an assortment of your instruments (to see how standard the sound is).

Also another question. I've seen whistle makers here talk all about the placement and the dimensions of the holes. Since your instrument tapers out, how did you do the math?
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
UncleChuck
Tell us something.: I am interested in making whistles. I have been doing it for years, and I have finally started to get good at it.

Post by UncleChuck »

Nice craftsmanship! Have you ever thought of doing multiple layers like a guitar sound hole inlay?
cory little

Post by cory little »

mutepointe wrote: another question. I've seen whistle makers here talk all about the placement and the dimensions of the holes. Since your instrument tapers out, how did you do the math?
This was a process of trial and error, if you look at the first elaphone pictured in this forum (top), you will see it has some funky holes. I tryed to let a child play it, and her finger went right into the hole. The hole placement is in direct relation to the sound hole size, so if you want smaller holes you move up the tube. The next batch overcompensated, and was not allowing enough resonance to escape. I dialed it in over time, using what I learned from last one I did. The holes do have to be fairly percisely placed to get the interval relationships of the diatonic minor, with easy to reach fingering, but now I have made a chart that shows me the best hole placement for every key I've done so far. At this point in time my range has gone from a low Bb through to the octive above Bb, and I have most every key available, but that one low Bb is gone:

This picture shows some sound hole consistancy in my selection :wink:
fyi.. this is my medium to large elaphones F and lower
Last edited by cory little on Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.