Newbie Topic: I can't change octaves for the life of me.

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Spade
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Spade »

Hey. New guy.

Picked up a Clarke's about a month ago to give me something to do, since being a History major doesn't take up a lot of time.

Anyway, I'm kind of mixing learning by music and learning by ear (I used to play clarinet and piano); getting the notes for songs I know and then trying to figure out others.

Problem is, I can't hit anything over a high D, and the D sounds pretty bad. Sometimes higher if I'm going up a scale, but from say a G to an E? Forget it.

Covering holes, blowing harder. But if I get anything that doesn't sound like a first range note, it sounds like I'm making tea.

So what blatently obvious thing am I doing wrong?
Thanks.
Paul

Post by Paul »

on the high D are you covering the top hole on your whistle (index finger of left hand if playing right handed) if you are, try playing the high D without that hole covered.

Good luck! :smile:
-Paul
chas
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

You might want to try a different whistle. Clarkes take a honkin' amount of wind. The Oak is on the opposite end of the spectrum; a lot of beginners have trouble keeping it in the lower octave. Something like a Clare is about in the middle, a fine sounding whistle and very easy to play.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Not sure, Spade. Is the whistle new or used? It's possible there could be a flaw in the whistle itself.

N, curious
ErikT

Post by ErikT »

Hi Spade,

I have noticed that most problems with octave changes seem to occur because of not blowing hard enough. Not knowing anything else about what's going on (like whether your whistle is any good) that's where I would recommend trying. Don't be timid; attack the second octave.

Welcome to the sport that we like to call whistling :smile:
Erik
Patrick

Post by Patrick »

Well, the immediate thought I have is that you may be blowing too hard to begin with. As your former wind instrument was a reeded instrument, you may be used to putting a lot more air through it than needed. Try just very softly breathing into the whistle. There may be an octave available to you that is UNDER the one you are playing. I'm thinking that you are playing the second octave of the whistle as your bottom octave and then trying to get a third octave on an instrument that isn't really all that good at that range.

I have a few Clarke whistles and I love them. Let us know when you figure out the problem. It really is a wonderful instrument.

-Patrick
ErikT

Post by ErikT »

Um, yeah - or maybe you're blowing too hard. That's the other possibility :wink:
jim_mc
Tell us something.: I'm a New York native who gradually slid west and landed in the Phoenix area. I like riding on the back seat of a tandem bicycle. I like dogs and have three of them. I am a sometime actor and an all the time teacher, husband, and dad.

Post by jim_mc »

I'm thinking what Patrick is.

Cover all 6 holes and then just breathe softly through the whistle. You should hear the lowest D it will produce. Lift your bottom finger and don't blow any harder for the E. My Clarke originals have all been really easy blowers, especially in the lower octave.
Spade

Post by Spade »

Originally posted by ErikT Don't be timid; attack the second octave.
Yeah, I think this was it. I really tore into the thing and out popped a note. The mp3's of various songs I have didn't make it sound that loud. *shrug

Oh well, the neighbors can deal. Although if the smell of Cabbage and Hoppe's #9 didn't bring the landlord I suppose loud whistle playing won't either.

*edit: I don't mean it takes a lot of air, I was just playing the first octave rather softly.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Spade on 2003-01-30 19:23 ]</font>
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Undisputed, another has been assimilated. We will report to you.

N, resistance is futile
(sorry for the baldfaced post plagiarism)
computer-mom

Post by computer-mom »

It took me a very long time before I could blow upper octave notes, let alone ones that sounded good. The only way I could get them at all was to go up the scale. I got a whistle tune book from Ossian that had some tunes that didn't use much of the upper octave; I played those until I got more experience with the whistle. Then I experimented with upper octave notes until I finally got some that sounded good. It took me several years to figure out how to play upper octave notes quietly (as opposed to loudly.) Hang in there.
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

For whistles that are tough on the upper register, a tiny bit of tongue attack on the note often helps. Say the letter "T" as you finger the note-- the little percussive attack will often pop the note up there.
Regular Clarkes often do take a bit of extra air...nice whistles if you get a good one though
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
Ridseard

Post by Ridseard »

The usual scenario is that you struggle with the Clarke for awhile, then either you give up playing whistle altogether, or else you get a different whistle which has better response and breath requirements. The third alternative, to continue with the Clarke, is an anomaly.
FJohnSharp
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

It sounds louder to the person playing than to other people. So when you really blow for the high notes, you cringe. But it sounds okay to others (except MY family who hates even the bell note).
bufo

Post by bufo »

On 2003-01-30 19:21, Spade wrote:
Originally posted by ErikT Don't be timid; attack the second octave.
Yeah, I think this was it. I really tore into the thing and out popped a note. The mp3's of various songs I have didn't make it sound that loud. *shrug

Oh well, the neighbors can deal. Although if the smell of Cabbage and Hoppe's #9 didn't bring the landlord I suppose loud whistle playing won't either.

*edit: I don't mean it takes a lot of air, I was just playing the first octave rather softly.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Spade on 2003-01-30 19:23 ]</font>

Hoppes # 9 is one of the most familiar smells in the world. I have been competition shooting longer than anything else. Lovely smell lol