Anything to make your mouth dry?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
JaakkoK
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Anything to make your mouth dry?

Post by JaakkoK »

Hi all,

I've played the whistle for my own enjoyment for some 20-30 years, and throughout my career, so to say, my biggest problem has been saliva. Not breathing, not learning tunes but the water that gathers inside my mouth, and clogs the mouthpiece and makes the instrument splutter if not swallowed every now and then, in most cases awkwardly in mid-tune.

Most other whistlers seem to find this more like a minor annoyance, but for me it is by far the most pressing problem, especially if I'm leading the tunes in a session. Yet I can't imagine I'm the only one harassed by it.

Lately I've got so desperate that I've started wondering if there are remedies, natural or otherwise, that have the effect of making your mouth dry. Anybody have any ideas, or even results from experiments?
brewerpaul

Re: Anything to make your mouth dry?

Post by brewerpaul »

I have heard that over the counter antihistamines can cause dry mouth, but I can't recommend that here since we're not allowed to give medical advice.

Alternatively, you can close your eyes and imagine yourself sitting at an IRS tax audit. That would dry me right out to a dusty pucker...
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
rhulsey
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by rhulsey »

Alum?
"Those who can make you believe absurdities
can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
mutepointe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by mutepointe »

My mouth is always dry because of medications. I did have a question. Is your mouth extra wet because the whistle is in your mouth? Would you have this same problem if you were playing a flute?
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
ggiles

Post by ggiles »

I've heard a table spoon of cinnamon just before playing works wonders......
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

mutepointe wrote:I did have a question. Is your mouth extra wet because the whistle is in your mouth?
I think that is a good question.

The whistle should not be "in your mouth". The beak should rest on the lower lip. The tongue should not be involved much either.

I can understand issues with condensation but saliva isn't something I've seen as a problem, especially after 20-30 years of playing. It's been postulated that new players might need to overcome a conditioned response that produces saliva from placing an object in the mouth but I would think that to be gone after 20+ years of playing.

Is there any chance that you might play other wind instruments, like clarinet or sax?

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
eskin
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by eskin »

JaakkoK, what material is the fipple made of on your whistle? Do you have the same issue with different materials?
bradley

Post by bradley »

Uhhhhh............

weed? :twisted:

'course you might lose all motivation to play
GregB

Post by GregB »

double espresso.
caffeine dries out many peoples mouths
ecohawk
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by ecohawk »

bradley wrote:Uhhhhh............

weed? :twisted:

'course you might lose all motivation to play
Plus he'd probably end up with little chunks of Cheetos or Doritos plugging up the whistle instead of just saliva...

Seriously, I find that different materials stimulate different amounts of saliva in my mouth. But, as Feadoggie commented, most of the moisture I struggle with these days is condensation so warming the whistle before playing is crucial. I've not found that soap solutions, duponol, or even wax floss helps for very long although YMMV. Sucking back, as you've suggested, is the best choice. If you watch video of players in concert, you'll see them clearing the mouthpiece between pieces and even during tunes in several ways: shaking it at the bodhran player :D, covering the window and blowing, and sucking back. The only one of these that can be done at speed when playing is sucking back. I do it automatically now.

good luck,
ecohawk
"Never get one of those cheap tin whistles. It leads to much harder drugs like pipes and flutes." - anon
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Doing taxes.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
JTC111

Post by JTC111 »

Laying off the Guinness would help the mouth wetness, but it might have an adverse effect on your disposition.
Jim

I wish I were a Lord Mayor, a Marquis or an Earl
And blow me if I wouldn't marry old Brown's girl
Blow me if I wouldn't marry old Brown's girl

http://www.jimcaputo.com
Flexismart
Tell us something.: Some of my original tunes are displayed at https://thesession.org/members/49476
I play several flutes, many whistles, many guitars, bouzouki, banjo, and own way too many pedals.
I could open a music store if I didn't live in the back woods of Pennsylvania.

Post by Flexismart »

Tonic Water - without gin - does the job for me in a pinch.
mor.whistle

Post by mor.whistle »

I am a new whistler so I don't speak from experience, also I can't say I have much of a problem with saliva (so far) therefor it's just an idea, never tested.

We all know that alcohol takes lots of water to be processed by our bodies, this is the reason why we have dry mouths (and are generally overly thirsty) the morning after a good old drinking night.

Now I'm not suggesting to get drunk before playing, although some of us might have already been down that road, but I suppose that thoroughly washing the mouth with some strong spirit (I would suggest vodka since it is neutral in taste) could be of some help in drying the mouth.

Further suggestion: buy some cheap spirit if you're planning on spitting it out! :D

P.S.
Tonic water, as suggested by Flexismart, sounds very promising to me!
I'll be on the road for quite some time, maybe through the spring and summer, but I'll have a few whistles and a Low D with me.
See you on my return, hopefully closer to be a player.

My tune's thread, just in case.
JaakkoK

Post by JaakkoK »

Thanks for all the replies, guys.

I indeed do have a flute of sorts -- it's made of an aluminum tube, a former table leg the chap who made it said, but it plays quite well. The same phenomenon does exist when I play the flute, but it's not so much of a problem since I don't have the lungs and skill to play fast tunes on the flute anyway, and with slow ones I can always find the time to swallow. So I'd say it's not caused by sticking something into my mouth. The heads of my favourite whistles are the usual plastic anyway, and I try to keep as little of them between my lips as possible.

And the moisture I'm talking about is definitely not condensation but saliva, as it seriously floods my mouth before making it to the instrument, despite my efforts of keeping it out. Combing the net I have seen several players searching for an answer to this same problem, but solutions it seems are not easy to find.

Antihistamines I am taking irregularly due to various allergies, but it seems I don't suffer the side effects (or in this case bonuses). Old age is supposed to make your mouth dry, but it seems that's about the only thing for which I am not that old. Well, I guess it's nice to have something to look forward to.

Cannabis and cinnamon I think I'll forgo, thanks. I hear that also the latter can be toxic in pure form, so take care.

Drinking, I've found, while wetting your mouth, seems also to cut down your saliva production somewhat, maybe because your body thinks there is not so much need for extra moisture. So coffee and tonic water are worth a try, and why not a vodka mouth flush as well. Thanks for those.