Sad News

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Fairy Queen
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Sad News

Post by Fairy Queen »

I am Wiz's partner and I would like to let you all know that he passed suddenly last Saturday 3rd March at home in peaceful surroundings. If you like, play a tune for him.

While on here, I have a request. Could anyone please let me know where I could find a decent version of King of the Fairies to play at his Celebration of his Life. (Not calling it a funeral - I could dance on his grave I guess :D ) Couldn't find anything on Clips and Snips, but that could just be me. He liked it played with feeling and good technique. Just a hint: He liked Joanie Madden's playing, so not necessarily traditional, but tuneful. Hmmm...couldn't find anything by Mary Bergin. And he thought that the King might be just that little bit wicked :) Any help?

Thanks very much,

Fairy Queen
MTGuru
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Sad News

Post by MTGuru »

So sorry to hear of your loss, Fairy Queen. It's our loss as well. Sincere condolences from the Chiffboard staff.

Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

Tom McHaile - Irish Tin Whistle - Track 02 - King of the Fairies
DrPhill

Post by DrPhill »

Fairy Queen wrote:Could anyone please let me know where I could find a decent version of King of the Fairies to play at his Celebration of his Life.
My condolences as well.

For The King of The Fairies how about this version - not on a whistle, but you did not exactly specify that! (I had a quick look on YouTube but found nothing on whistle that I liked).
Phill

One does not equal two. Not even for very large values of one.
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Sad news indeed. I hope the celebration of Wiz's life goes well, as I'm sure it will.

As for versions of King of the Fairies online, it does indeed seem to be surprisingly hard to find a decent one. I couldn't find anything on the Comhaltas site, and I've just waded through loads of versions on YouTube - 6 pages worth, in fact, out of which there's just this version (sorry about the ad) which is any good, as far as I can see. Mind, this is some beautiful piping.

[crossed with Dr Phill]
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

If you'd like to sample or purchase the late Tom McHale's (spelling corrected by his daughter according to thesession.org) recording, the MP3 is at Amazon (free sample, $0.99 for the full track).

http://www.amazon.com/King-Of-The-Fairies/dp/B003A7T920

Likely that if the Wiz was on this board, then he was a whistle enthusiast. This is a great recording on whistle, by an All-Ireland winner (brother of flute player Mike McHale).

If you want to consider other renditions of the tune, possibly with other instrumentation, then here is a list of recordings it seems to appear on (courtesy thesession.org Tune database). View the DETAILS tab:

http://www.thesession.org/tunes/display/475
Fairy Queen

Post by Fairy Queen »

Thank you all for your condolences. He was a special man. I am very sad. And if I did dance on his grave, it would be in happiness for him. He led a full life and achieved a lot. I don't think he realised just how much.

And yes, it was for the whistle. Ooops! Thanks for all your help. I will go look now.

Unfortunately I do not have a credit card, or I would have bought that song! Or is that 'tune'? I'm not very politically correct, I'm afraid. I do intened to correct the lack of credit card very soon, and then I will buy it from Amazon.

Once again, thanks for all your help. And, yes, I do hope the celebration goes well. We may have a wake later on with a real band. But they will be playing swing, another earlier love of his.
Mr Ed

Post by Mr Ed »

Sorry for your loss, Fairy Queen.
Fairy Queen wrote:Unfortunately I do not have a credit card, or I would have bought that song! Or is that 'tune'? I'm not very politically correct, I'm afraid. I do intened to correct the lack of credit card very soon, and then I will buy it from Amazon.
You can also use your checking account. Just letting you know in case you can't find the tune you want elsewhere.
JTC111

Post by JTC111 »

Fairy Queen wrote:Unfortunately I do not have a credit card, or I would have bought that song!
Sorry to hear of your loss. You should be getting an email from Amazon shortly that will include the mp3. One less thing to worry about. Best wishes.
Jim

I wish I were a Lord Mayor, a Marquis or an Earl
And blow me if I wouldn't marry old Brown's girl
Blow me if I wouldn't marry old Brown's girl

http://www.jimcaputo.com
s1m0n

Post by s1m0n »

Here's a list of recordings of King of the Fairies, courtesy of the folks at The Session
Recordings of a tune by this name:
À L'Olympia by Alan Stivell
Cathal McConnell Teaches Irish Pennywhistle by Cathal McConnell
Ceilidh by Bun' Ber E
Champions Of Ireland: Flute by Grainne Kelly And Ciaran Madsen
Champions Of Ireland: Harp by Various Artists
Craic'd! by Atlantic Wave
Dancehall Sweethearts by Horslips
Dancing Through Ireland by Various Artists
Déanta by Déanta
Flute For The Feis by John Doonan
Ireland's Finest by The Dubliners
Irish Pennywhistle Taught By Cathal McConnell by Cathal McConnell
Irish Showtime by The Irish Showtime Band
Leahy by Leahy
Learn To Play Irish Fiddle: Polkas, Jigs And Slides ~ DVD 1 by Kevin Burke
Less Travelled by Woad
Milestone At The Garden by Irish Fiddle Masters From The 78 RPM Era
One More... by Caa A Dram
Rakish Paddies by Rapalje
Riding Towards Life by Evergreen
Rince: Complete Irish Dancing Set - First Steps And Beyond by Various Artists
Rud Eile by Rud Eile
Sligo Fiddle (Disk 1) by John Vesey
Step Into The Beat: Modern Irish Dance Music by Ellery Klein And Ryan Lacey
Swarbrick 2 by Dave Swarbrick
Sweeney's Dream by Kevin Burke
The Ancient Music Of Ireland by Various Artists
The Best Ever Traditional Irish Pub Session Volume Two by Various Artists
The Best Of Irish Ceílí by Shannon Side, Gallowglass, Ardellis, Michael Moran Ceílí Bands
The Donegal Fiddler by Danny O'Donnell
The Dubliners In Concert by The Dubliners
The Final Round CD 1 by Kevin Joyce
The Green Mountain by Pay The Reckoning
The Hurricane by Donagh Hennessy And Mark Crickard
The Irish Fiddler by Sean Maguire
The Lark In The Clear Air by Geraldine O'Grady
The Luck Penny by Seamus Bugler
The Meeting by Sharon Carroll And Cherith Boyle
The Princess Royal: Dance Music From South Armagh by The Nine McCusker Brothers And Hugh Savage
The Sligo Champion (CD 2) by Michael Gorman
Tom McHale: All Ireland Whistling Champion At Boyle by Tom McHale
Traditional Irish Dance Music by Various Artists
Traditional Irish Dance Rhythms by Various Artists
Traditional Music Of Ireland by Various Artists
I'd go with either Tom McHale or Deanta.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
tomcat
Tell us something.: Used to live in Gilbert, AZ which is a suburb of Phoenix. Recently moved to Portland OR. Argh. Not sure if this is meeting the requirement of number of characters, but I'm trying.

Post by tomcat »

So sorry as well. May the celebration be filled with great memories, laughter and your heart be lifted by the music.
srleslie

Post by srleslie »

The best version I've found to practice to (on a Burke Low D whistle) may be found here.
Leslie Richelle __________________________________________________________________
mutepointe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by mutepointe »

Please accept my deepest sympathies. I will find a moment's peace tomorrow to play a tune for Wiz.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
Fairy Queen

Post by Fairy Queen »

Hello everyone. Thanks for your help so far. JTC111 (Jim) gifted me an Amazon download of Tom McHale's recording, but sadly I can't download it because I'm not in the US (am in Australia). I do hope to get a good version in time for the funeral. (I'm sure that they would pay royalties).

I was wondering also, Wiz liked The South Wind and The Immigrant. I listened to both of them and thought they would both be very good for his Life Celebration. But then it struck me that these two are very similar. Can anybody help me? Are they the same or different?

Let's hope that I find a good version of King of te Fairies in time for the funeral (possibly this Friday). I'm sure that the Funeral Directors would pay royalties, btw.
Fairy Queen

Post by Fairy Queen »

Oh, and I forgot to say, thanks very much JTC111!