What a brilliant webpage for newbies

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
kaizersoza
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

What a brilliant webpage for newbies

Post by kaizersoza »

i have been playing for a couple of weeks and today whillst trying to learn the G scale i came across this page on Chiff and Fipple, great for learning the different scales of the whistle

http://www.chiffandfipple.com/whistlekeys.html

kaizer
Feadoggie

Re: What a brilliant webpage for newbies

Post by Feadoggie »

Ummm... that's kinda how this whole place got started.

Feadoggie
Last edited by Feadoggie on Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
Denny

Post by Denny »

you can never go back

ha!
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
Peter Duggan
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

Dunno that I'd call it brilliant when it's both inaccurate in places, a decade out-of-date and presumably just 'archived' there...

To give some examples from a quick look, the fingering chart for the second bottom scale is missing a note, those 'minor' scales are really Aeolian mode (aka natural minor) and the list of who makes what is now pretty well just a historical snapshot!
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

Peter Duggan wrote:Dunno that I'd call it brilliant when it's both inaccurate in places, a decade out-of-date and presumably just 'archived' there...
Hey, come on! Have some respect for the growth (not just numbers) that has taken place here. :)

Kaizersoza, I am sure that page has helped quite a few people. Perhaps it has helped for no other reason than to bring whistlers together at this cyber-place.

Thanks Dale.

Feadoggie
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

Feadoggie wrote:Hey, come on! Have some respect for the growth (not just numbers) that has taken place here. :)
For sure I do (lots of respect!), but you could also blame that very respectable growth for the quantity of outdated old stuff still kicking around with Dale himself answering a similar bit of 'dredging' last year with:
Let me point out, to my shame, that the C&F whistle pages are very much out-of-date and are there for archival reasons. (I continue to fantasize that volunteers will help me update them one day.)
So think (before the 'Oppressor' condemns me to goodness knows what) it's only fair to warn a 'newbie' discovering a 'brilliant' page that doesn't look quite so great to me that some of it may need treating with caution... that's all! I'd be the first to acknowledge that C&F is a wonderful resource (Dale's wonderful resource!) with vibrant and knowledgeable community, but current activity's all in the forum and FB with some unchecked and potentially misleading older pages still lurking elsewhere.

Master of nine?
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

My point is this. A 20 watt bulb can be "brilliant" to a man who has been living in darkness. But it is not to a man who lives in the full light of the sun.

If some flame has been illuminated within Kaizersoza by that page, then it is brilliant, isn't it? The bulb came on and he exclaimed, "Now I see!".

Feadoggie
Dale
The Landlord
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Dale »

Peter Duggan wrote:
Feadoggie wrote:Hey, come on! Have some respect for the growth (not just numbers) that has taken place here. :)
For sure I do (lots of respect!), but you could also blame that very respectable growth for the quantity of outdated old stuff still kicking around with Dale himself answering a similar bit of 'dredging' last year with:
Let me point out, to my shame, that the C&F whistle pages are very much out-of-date and are there for archival reasons. (I continue to fantasize that volunteers will help me update them one day.)
So think (before the 'Oppressor' condemns me to goodness knows what) it's only fair to warn a 'newbie' discovering a 'brilliant' page that doesn't look quite so great to me that some of it may need treating with caution... that's all! I'd be the first to acknowledge that C&F is a wonderful resource (Dale's wonderful resource!) with vibrant and knowledgeable community, but current activity's all in the forum and FB with some unchecked and potentially misleading older pages still lurking elsewhere.
Oh, I'd throw you into the pit, but for the fact that you're pretty much exactly right. I regret that so much of the old C&F website is out-of-date. I've made a number of attempts over the last few years to gather a group of volunteers to divide up the main pages and enter into a process to bring them up-to-date, but, I've had to conclude at some point that it's mostly going to be an archive. I just don't have the time to do it alone.

What I really would like to do, minimally, is bring the 3 what-whistles-are-available pages back in an updated form. Maybe this year.

Dale
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Dale wrote:Oh, I'd throw you into the pit
We have a pit? Oh cool, how useful. Why didn't I know about this? Do we have a pendulum, too?

A 20 watt bulb puts out only around 150 lumens. I'd recommend a Maglite XL200 instead, which puts out 170 lumens and runs on AAA cells. Unlike the sun, which puts out 100,000 lumens and runs on bigger batteries.

Uh, what's the topic?
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

For playing around with whistle keys and transpositions, you might also want to check out the Little Circle of Fifths designed by anniemcu and myself and few years ago. It lets you "dial up" the three main scale patterns for various combinations of keys and whistles.

It can answer questions such as: "My friend plays The Hobbit in the key of concert Eb on the zoobaphone. What whistle can I use to play along using G fingering?"

http://www.angelfire.com/mo/sassafrassg ... ifths.html
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
DrPhill
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by DrPhill »

MTGuru wrote:For playing around with whistle keys and transpositions, you might also want to check out the Little Circle of Fifths designed by anniemcu and myself and few years ago. It lets you "dial up" the three main scale patterns for various combinations of keys and whistles.

It can answer questions such as: "My friend plays The Hobbit in the key of concert Eb on the zoobaphone. What whistle can I use to play along using G fingering?"

http://www.angelfire.com/mo/sassafrassg ... ifths.html
Don't believe him folks, it doesn't even tell you what a Zoobaphone is.
Phill

One does not equal two. Not even for very large values of one.
Peter Duggan

Post by Peter Duggan »

MTGuru wrote:We have a pit? Oh cool, how useful. Why didn't I know about this?
Because you'd probably use it and I'd be down there right now...
Do we have a pendulum, too?
Hopefully not!

:o :wink:

Master of nine?
osage59
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by osage59 »

Well, the timing for all of this talk may be perfect for me.

I have been only playing high D whistles in this maiden year of my indoctrination. I have been cautiously* considering getting a hold of a B (Flat?) whistle, but I've wondered - and am ashamed to ask due to my limited knowledge of this stuff - if I would have to find music only in that key? (I'm thinking yes, I would)

* I'm not in any rush, I clearly have enough to learn as it is! :boggle:
JTC111

Post by JTC111 »

osage59 wrote:Well, the timing for all of this talk may be perfect for me.

I have been only playing high D whistles in this maiden year of my indoctrination. I have been cautiously* considering getting a hold of a B (Flat?) whistle, but I've wondered - and am ashamed to ask due to my limited knowledge of this stuff - if I would have to find music only in that key? (I'm thinking yes, I would)
Not at all. If you're playing music written in D on a D whistle, to anyone's ear, you're playing in D. Take that same music but switch to a Bb whistle and to anyone's ear you're playing in Bb. Having a variety of whistle keys is useful if you're going to be playing with other instruments (guitars, zouk, etc.) and especially if you're playing with a vocalist that wants to sing a piece in a particular key.
Jim

I wish I were a Lord Mayor, a Marquis or an Earl
And blow me if I wouldn't marry old Brown's girl
Blow me if I wouldn't marry old Brown's girl

http://www.jimcaputo.com
ecohawk
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by ecohawk »

This is what I love most about C&F.

In this single thread we found a new member, had an argument between a few veterans, some insightful (sucking up just a little) interjection and commentary by the founder of C&F and a couple of light hearted messages from a forum moderator to balance things out.

And in the 14th message we got to the heart of the OP's comment. Just pick a whistle up and play. If you want to play with someone else, find out what key they're playing and pick up a whistle in that key. Isn't that what this is all about?

Thanks guys, that was fun to read. :thumbsup:

ecohawk
"Never get one of those cheap tin whistles. It leads to much harder drugs like pipes and flutes." - anon