Wierdest place to meet a fellow whistler?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
daynamite209
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Wierdest place to meet a fellow whistler?

Post by daynamite209 »

Maybe you'll cross paths with one in an elevator, or maybe your niece's high school graduation. Who knows? You meet whistlers everywhere, but it's the funny occurences that are the most memorable to me. I met my first on a boat. Good stuff. Any other stories to tell?
ducks
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Re: Wierdest place to meet a fellow whistler?

Post by ducks »

there was a man playing a (very, very nice) left-handed flute in the lychgate of the church where I take my son to karate in the hall last week. He had at least one other flute arranged next to him on the seat.

ok, not a whistle, and I didn't actually meet him, as such (due to my son muttering "he's better than you but I think he's a BIT ODD") at me, but it was a fairly weird place.
sophie
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

I didn't meet, but heard somebody (I'll say "he") playing a whistle at night down by the banks of the Mississippi river. He was frankly terrible; kept playing the same notes over and over, sort of a melody fragment, but at least he could do that much. Of course I had an urge to go check it out, but that might have been the idea, for the sounds came from a wooded, shrubby area used by homeless people, partiers, and anyone else who wants cover for whatever it is they're up to. It all sounded very much like a lure gambit. But, who knows. I wasn't about to give him lessons, anyway.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
ecohawk

Post by ecohawk »

I live in San Francisco but work in Oakland so I take the BART (Bay Area Rapid Transit) train to work every day. Buskers are often lurking in the terminals but they usually play guitars or the occasional silver flute. About six months ago, I'm getting off the train in downtown Oakland and I hear a familiar tune and what sounds like a really loud D whistle. So I follow the sound and find a youngish guy playing a black whistle while his girlfriend was singing Mna na Heireann. She was really good, he was marginal and having trouble with the high notes.

When they finished, I dropped a dollar in their hat and asked them where they were from. He says, in the strongest cockney accent I've heard before, that they were working their way across the US starting in Berkeley this morning. I asked him how long he'd been playing and he said his uncle gave him the whistle when he died two years ago but until now he had never tried to play it. He learned a couple of songs before they left England, this was one of them. I showed him the Sindt Bb and Mellow Dog D that were in my pocket and asked him if I could see his whistle. I almost passed out when he handed me his Lon Dubh! I asked if he knew much about the whistle and he said that his uncle loved it and played everyday, but he was having a hard time playing it. Sensing the devil in me coming out and considering how I was going to avoid taking advantage of his ignorance, I caught myself and explained to him how he had one of the worlds finest whistles in his hand and that he should guard it like it was solid gold.

The next day I saw him in the same place playing, badly still, the same song but on a Generation blue top. He smiled at me and told me he got nervous after talking to me so he locked up the Lon Dubh at his girlfriends mothers house in Berkeley and went down to the music store and bought the Gen. Funny thing was, he didn't sound any different to me. I taught them Foggy Dew then went to work.

Haven't seem them or any other whistler on the street since.
"Never get one of those cheap tin whistles. It leads to much harder drugs like pipes and flutes." - anon
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

I keep meeting whistlers on the internet, which I think is a little strange.
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Innocent Bystander wrote:I keep meeting whistlers on the internet, which I think is a little strange.
Don't believe it. A lot of them are really trombonists posing as whistlers. You have to be careful about these things.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Anyanka

Post by Anyanka »

Last whistler I met was on Saturday, at an all-day tango workshop, which is very much not an obvious kind of music for whistle (I was playing accordion). She showed me her Copeland high D (bloody gorgeous!!!) and her collection of Alba low whistles, and I got longings...

Admittedly, she had a concertina with her as well.
mutepointe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by mutepointe »

After the funeral was over. She wanted to see my flute.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
narrowdog

Post by narrowdog »

mutepointe wrote:After the funeral was over. She wanted to see my flute.
:P
Happiness is taking things as they are.
ancientfifer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by ancientfifer »

Back when I worked in Center City Philadelphia, 2004-2005, I happened across a homeless man several different times playing fife and whistle on the streets. He appeared self taught, and didn't seem to know any traditional tunes, but ad libbed some very nice jazzy rifs. Enjoyable to listen to.
ancientfifer is the chiffer formerly known as fifenwhistle (Dec. 2008-January 2014)
Avatar Photo: Colonial Williamsburg Fifes and Drums, July 4th Parade 1976, broadcasted live nationally on CBS.
Trout Mask

Post by Trout Mask »

In a subway .....

I busk/practice my Low D in a subway two or three days a week, was originally 'practice' only but people kept offering coins so 'busking' crept in, nice thing about subways:

1. Shelter
2. I sound better than I am due to echo/reverb
3. You can get away with playing same tune for hours (if you are outside a shop it soon grates on them playing one tune all day)

Old chap got chatting last week and said he was a 'bit of a player' but had never played a Low, I offered the old Gen Bb I also had with me

'Bit of a player' was a HUGE understatement he was AWESOME, bit more ITM than me, I'm more Jazz/Blues but I was massively impressed at every aspect of his playing, my own toots seemed pitifully inadequate after he left
Fast & Bulbous
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

Trout Mask wrote:...said he was a 'bit of a player'...
Whenever you hear that, you should be ready to get your ass handed to you on a platter.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
AvienMael

Post by AvienMael »

Nanohedron wrote:
Trout Mask wrote:...said he was a 'bit of a player'...
Whenever you hear that, you should be ready to get your ass handed to you on a platter.
I carry a whistle with me everywhere I go, and it's usually visible... and I have heard that enough times to know it's true.

Roadside truckstop restroom. Pretty decent whistler playing in one of the stalls, albeit a tad loud for the uh, 'environment." Somehow, I just didn't have any desire to stick around and introduce myself.

Yeah I know, call me a prude.
Playing, not paying.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

A whistler in a stall? What an opportunity: "Hey buddy! Your playing stinks." Then, of course, you exit.
sherriev

Post by sherriev »

My counselor's husband plays. I have never met him but its fun to talk to her about whistling - because she is the aggrieved spouse of a whistler who listens to it all day every day. :)