Cillian O' Brian...

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Whistlin' Will
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Cillian O' Brian...

Post by Whistlin' Will »

Trying to find some more information about him. I know he made (makes?) an Improved Feadog, and from the scraps of information that I can pick up he also made other whistles(?). I haven't been able to find a website, and I couldn't turn up any threads here that were much help. The only store I can find that stocks his whistles is Big Whistle, and they only sell his Improved Feadog in D.

What I would like to know is:

What all whistles does he make/improve/sell?

Is there any way one could order from him directly? Or does he only sell through other stores like Big Whistle?

Does anyone have any reviews of his whistles? I couldn't find any at the Wandering Whistler Music Archives, or anywhere else.
-Will
Out in the sticks
With the hicks
And the ticks

My avatar is a photo of one of my T-shirts.
straycat82

Re: Cillian O' Brian...

Post by straycat82 »

I've seen his name attached to low whistles (assuming it is the same O'Briain) but do not have any experience with is hand-made products. He is a pipe maker but I don't now if he has a website as I've never gone looking for it. There are also "O'Brien" whistles out there which are not by the same individual.

I have been playing on one of Cillian's improved Feadogs now for about two years and haven't yet met a whistle that I liked better. As far as I know he has only done these tweaks to D Feadog heads (for mass retail, anyways) but they have also been sold on Generation Eb bodies. The only modification I made was to replace the brass body with a nickel body as I found it brightens up the sound and makes the ornaments and responsiveness a bit crisper. I was put off by the price at first when compared to other tweaks on the market at half the price but now I'd say it's well worth it, and you do get what you pay for. I have tried famous tweaks by other well-known and touted individuals that have not done a thing for me--in fact, I preferred the stock whistles with my own (very basic) tweaks to their invasive mods. O'Briain's whistles suit my taste and playing style wonderfully.
Whistle Free or Die
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Whistle Free or Die »

I spy with my little eye.....

There is one for sale on Doc's site at irishflutestore.com
(perhaps a kind soul could fill in the link).
It is a Tunable low D and also comes with a high D as well.

Susan
Susan
Mr.Gumby
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Mr.Gumby »

He stopped making whistles years ago so he could spend all his time on his pipemaking
My brain hurts

straycat82

Post by straycat82 »

An by the way, if anyone has one of his tweaked Feadogs that isn't your cuppa tea, I'd be glad to take it off your hands.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

He's still doing those. They're €25 euro. Image
My brain hurts

MarkP

Post by MarkP »

or rather more if you buy them from other outlets
http://www.bigwhistle.co.uk/shop_result ... rod_id=510
Mark
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

All the more reason to cut out the middlemen and buy directly from the people doing the work.

We had an interesting situation on the forum years ago, a running gag almost, when a shopkeeper with a fairly aggressive commercial posting policy sold them at a ridiculous mark-up. But you got a 'free' pouch' with them, he often claimed, ignoring that with the whistle at a price nearly three times that of other outlets the pouch was hardly free. He didn't take well to the odd poke about it either either and at times put his foot in it in spectacular manner in his responses. Ah, those were the days.
My brain hurts

MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

I've tried several of Cillian's tweaked high D's, and think they're quite nice. The tweak is, of course, basically on the same principal as the Freemans - cavity fill, re-engineered blade. My impression is that Cillian goes for a chirpier sound, whereas Jerry tends to less chirp* and more smoothness and volume. Horses for courses.

* But noting that the chirp of both my Blackbird D and Mellow Dog D is quite nice.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

The tweak is, of course, basically on the same principal as the Freemans -
I think it's probably better described the other way around. After all, Cillian was doing his for donkey's years by the time Jerry made his first attempts.
My brain hurts

MarkP

Post by MarkP »

still my favourite whistle :thumbsup:
Mark
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Mr.Gumby wrote:I think it's probably better described the other way around. After all, Cillian was doing his for donkey's years by the time Jerry made his first attempts.
Yes, that's fair. I didn't mean to imply temporal order by my word order. :)
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
straycat82

Post by straycat82 »

Mr.Gumby wrote:He's still doing those. They're €25 euro. Image
I knew these were still being made but could only find them in one or two online outlets for higher prices. Are you willing to PM me his contact information (if you do have it) so that I could talk with him directly? My CO'B whistle is getting on in years and has developed a crack which I fear may take its toll eventually and affect the whistle if it gets to the edge of the labium.
straycat82

Post by straycat82 »

MTGuru wrote:I've tried several of Cillian's tweaked high D's, and think they're quite nice. The tweak is, of course, basically on the same principal as the Freemans - cavity fill, re-engineered blade. My impression is that Cillian goes for a chirpier sound, whereas Jerry tends to less chirp* and more smoothness and volume. Horses for courses.

* But noting that the chirp of both my Blackbird D and Mellow Dog D is quite nice.
One of the biggest differences I've noticed between the two (and this has to do with my own playing style) is that Cillian's whistles can be pushed and punched without breaking moreso than Jerry's. Jerry's whistles also sound thinner and more "windy" to me tone-wise. Maybe it was a fluke but my Cillian tweaked whistle is louder and stronger in tone than any Freeman whistle I've played (to date, several Gens, a Blackbird and MellowDog).
StevieJ
Tell us something.: Old hand, active in the early 2000s. Less active in recent years but still lurking from time to time.

Post by StevieJ »

straycat82 wrote:
MTGuru wrote:I've tried several of Cillian's tweaked high D's, and think they're quite nice. The tweak is, of course, basically on the same principal as the Freemans - cavity fill, re-engineered blade. My impression is that Cillian goes for a chirpier sound, whereas Jerry tends to less chirp* and more smoothness and volume. Horses for courses.

One of the biggest differences I've noticed between the two (and this has to do with my own playing style) is that Cillian's whistles can be pushed and punched without breaking moreso than Jerry's. Jerry's whistles also sound thinner and more "windy" to me tone-wise. Maybe it was a fluke but my Cillian tweaked whistle is louder and stronger in tone than any Freeman whistle I've played (to date, several Gens, a Blackbird and MellowDog).
Funny, but I would have said the exact opposite about the pushing and punching. The Cillian whistle I have, and all those that I have tried, need to be played with whispering breath. They sound beautiful, but I'm used to pushing a bit more air through the whistle. I have had several whistles of Jerry's over the years, all modified Generations, and I haven't found the same restriction. There's a Jerry Bb Gen sitting on my desk and I just tried playing it about 5 times as hard as normal and it's "unbreakable".

As for the tone, the Cillian I have does sound a bit purer. But I think Jerry has been aiming, with his Generations at least, for a sound akin to that of the good Generations of, well, a generation ago. :)