Burke High D :)

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
wyodeb
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Burke High D :)

Post by wyodeb »

So the Burke session bore high D that seemed way too loud at home proved to be just the thing at church this morning. Held its own with 3 amplified guitars, a piano, and the congregation. Just what I was hoping it would do. Now I understand the need for different whistles for different purposes.

Deb
riverman

Re: Burke High D :)

Post by riverman »

What song did you play?
"Whoever comes to me I will never drive away." --Jesus Christ.
wyodeb

Post by wyodeb »

In Christ Alone. The high notes that seemed to peel the paint off the walls at home were soaring in the high-ceilinged sanctuary. My little Dixon Trad got lost in there a few weeks ago.

Deb
Lyn D

Post by Lyn D »

Hi Deb,

I have the Burke DBSBT (the D, Session in brass) and I love it! :love: Do you have the brass or the aluminum?

Lyn
plunk111
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Love playing trumpet and modern flute at church as well as Irish trad flute in a band. Been playing Irish trad and 18th century period music for about 15 years.

Post by plunk111 »

I played the Gloria (Catholic Mass) today on my Impempe high D today. I play the whole thing in the upper octave (it goes to the 3rd octave D). I sure don't need a microphone! I do think it adds a lot.
Pat Plunkett, Wheeling, WV
wyodeb

Post by wyodeb »

Brass. The aluminum might be lighter but I got it used, so I didn't have a choice. I do like the look and feel of the brass. I wasn't sure this whistle was going to be a keeper for me until this morning. It seems meant to be played in large spaces.

Deb
Flexismart
Tell us something.: Some of my original tunes are displayed at https://thesession.org/members/49476
I play several flutes, many whistles, many guitars, bouzouki, banjo, and own way too many pedals.
I could open a music store if I didn't live in the back woods of Pennsylvania.

Post by Flexismart »

Here's a recording that I did for a church service.
The tune was "Be Thou My Vision"
I was playing a Copeland D

Here it is: http://www.box.net/shared/cl2nyp3o2v
Tucson Whistler

Post by Tucson Whistler »

Flexismart wrote:Here's a recording that I did for a church service.

That's really nice. Very pretty.
"Life is far too important to be taken seriously"
~Oscar Wilde
Mockingbird

Post by Mockingbird »

I noticed a fellow playing a Burke during our Sunday morning worship. I was quite proud of myself for knowing it was a Burke. :) It sounded lovely.

Of course I had to ask him a million questions afterward.
riverman

Post by riverman »

wyodeb wrote:In Christ Alone. The high notes that seemed to peel the paint off the walls at home were soaring in the high-ceilinged sanctuary. My little Dixon Trad got lost in there a few weeks ago.

Deb
I'm a pastor who only has the courage to play a few times on Sunday nights. But I can play in the sanctuary any old time. Whistles really soar in sanctuaries. If any of you can sneak in or break in, I encourage you to try it!
riverman

Post by riverman »

BEAUTIFUL! BRAVO! BRAVO! You must be a professional player?
Flexismart
Tell us something.: Some of my original tunes are displayed at https://thesession.org/members/49476
I play several flutes, many whistles, many guitars, bouzouki, banjo, and own way too many pedals.
I could open a music store if I didn't live in the back woods of Pennsylvania.

Post by Flexismart »

riverman wrote:

BEAUTIFUL! BRAVO! BRAVO! You must be a professional player?
--------------

River,
Yeah, I play out a bit. I'm always happy to get a project like this where the instruments suit the music.
The key, of course, is to find a producer who understands the whistle - its strong points and limitations.
I also find it's helpful to let your imagination take control of your playing, rather than worrying about the minutiae and reflexive self-criticism that many of us suffer from, (not that I can always do this).
Thanks for the compliment.
plunk111
Tell us something.: Love playing trumpet and modern flute at church as well as Irish trad flute in a band. Been playing Irish trad and 18th century period music for about 15 years.

Post by plunk111 »

riverman wrote:
wyodeb wrote:In Christ Alone. The high notes that seemed to peel the paint off the walls at home were soaring in the high-ceilinged sanctuary. My little Dixon Trad got lost in there a few weeks ago.

Deb
I'm a pastor who only has the courage to play a few times on Sunday nights. But I can play in the sanctuary any old time. Whistles really soar in sanctuaries. If any of you can sneak in or break in, I encourage you to try it!
Funny you should mention this! I used to "sneak" into our local (Catholic) cathedral on Saturday mornings and play either cornetto or natural trumpet - both magnificent in a space like that. The rector added a 9AM Saturday Mass, however, and quashed my musical interludes.

I currently have an arrangement with a local cemetery who let me play in the little chapel by arrangement. The flute sounds incredible in a small, acoustically blessed, place like that. I also "sneak" into the mausoleum for fluting and whistling when out for a walk. Walking in cemeteries is great, btw!

Pat

[EDIT] "Be Thou..." was awesome! When can your choir come to Wheeling, WV? 'Course, we'd want you every Sunday from now until the second coming (but who knows when that'll be? Might be a short gig!)
Last edited by plunk111 on Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Pat Plunkett, Wheeling, WV
sherriev

Post by sherriev »

That was absolutely beautiful! Thank you for posting that.
wyodeb

Post by wyodeb »

Thanks for the link! I doubt I'll ever sound that good. I do get a chance to play on Sundays in our small worship team. I also (usually) play guitar and sing. I get many chances to play in the empty worship space since I'm married to the pastor. :lol: It is an old sanctuary. The acoustics are great for whistle.

Deb