Elfsong Impressions (long)

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Redwolf
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

I was going to wait until the weekend to post this, because I wanted to spend some time getting to know my new whistle under a variety of conditions...learn its nuances and, if any "bugs" were found, work them out before posting my "impressions." I've been lucky enough to find plenty of time to play this week, however (I've given this pretty thing quite a workout in just four days!), and my weekend's likely to be a bit frantic, so I see no reason not to just go ahead and do it now, while I have the time.

First, a disclaimer: I am not a professional, but merely someone who plays for my own pleasure (with perhaps a bit of busking on the side), so you can take my comments with as many grains of salt as you like (frankly, I think you should do so with any review). Further, this is my first "high-end" whistle, so I can't tell you how it stacks up against your Copeland or Overton or Sindt. Preferences are highly subjective anyway (and, as Madeleine L'Engle is fond of saying "comparisons are odious"). I can tell you that I have played various types of whistles and recorders for about 25 years, and been involved in music for longer than that...I have a good ear, and I know what I like. Beyond that, you'll have to judge for yourself.

In the four days I've had my Elfsong, I've played it for a total of about 10 hours (told you I had a lot of time to play this week!). I've played it in as many different conditions as I could arrange (in my usual livingroom practice spot, outside in the relatively open space of my front deck, outside in the slightly more enclosed area of our local park, and yes...even in the bathroom!). I've played it back-to-back with my other whistles (especially my beloved O Briain "improved"...another "pure tone" whistle), and I've played the C and D tubes back to back (with the nice sale Sandy was running in October, I couldn't resist getting a combo). I started with simple tunes that I've been playing for years and can play without thinking about them, just to get a basic feel for the whistle's characteristics before moving on to more complicated stuff. I really wanted to get a good feel for this whistle before posting my impressions, lest I be accused of simply waxing enthusiastic over a pretty new "toy" :wink:

Here endeth the disclaimer. Now on to the "review":

APPEARANCE/AESTHETICS: I'm not going to harp on this overmuch, because we ALL know by now that these are very pretty whistles (if, by chance, someone is reading this who hasn't seen one yet, hop right on over to the <A HREF="http://www.elfsongwhistles.com/">West Coast Whistle Company Website</A> and take a gander at them). I do have to say that they're even prettier in person, which shouldn't come as a big surprise to anyone who is familiar with web photography. There is a depth and richness to the paint job that a web photo can't really convey. Suffice it to say that, if you like the look of these whistles on the website, you will be even more pleased when you meet your new whistle "in the flesh," as it were. The color schemes I chose were Emerald Gold (dark green with gold marbling) for the D tube and Starry Night (dark blue with silver sparkles) for the C tube...both colors are really attractive.

The paint and finish used appears to be of very high quality. One doesn't get the impression that one might wear the paint off with a lot of playing (it is possible to chip it, if the whistle is dropped on a hard surface or banged against something, but Sandy includes instructions for dealing with minor chips in her basic "care and feeding" sheet, which comes with the whistle).

I do want to mention the headpiece, as someone said in a previous thread (sorry, I can't remember who) that he or she had seen one that appeared to be rather rough-finished. My guess is that either that person saw a very early prototype or the headpiece had been abused by its owner in some way...the one I have is beautifully finished, and shows no residual marks from whatever tools may have been used in shaping or cutting it. In many ways, it's the prettiest part of the whistle...sleek and graceful in outline, well-fitted, and highly polished, with an obvious eye to making the best use of the materials involved (the hardwood fipple is particularly attractive, with a rock-hard and silky-smooth finish that doesn't hide the lovely wood grain).

WEIGHT: I mention this both because Sandy mentions it on the website and because some have expressed concern that the extra "heft" of these whistles might cause problems for people with small hands. Well, I have to say that I do have small hands (as well as a tendency to a severe form of tendonitis in my thumb and forefinger that flares up from overuse), and frankly, it just isn't an issue. Yes, it is heavier than any mass-produced whistle I've played, but it's also extremely well-balanced. I played it with the larger C tube for two hours straight yesterday, and didn't notice the extra weight at all...there was no discomfort, and I never felt that I was in danger of dropping it. It sits compliantly and securely on my thumbs, and I just don't notice the extra weight at all. In fact, the adjective that came to mind when I first pulled it out of the bag wasn't "heavy," but rather "sturdy", and "well-made." If you tend to hold your whistle very vertically, you may want to adjust your positioning to a more natural 45 degree angle (about what it comes to if you play with your head and back comfortably erect and your elbows next to your sides)...otherwise you COULD lose your grip on it when transitioning from a C# to a high D or vice versa. Other than that, it's quite simply a non-issue.

The whistle is slightly bigger around than a lot of "cheapies," and that may require some initial "getting used to" if you're not accustomed to playing larger instruments, but it's a minor difference at best, and one you won't notice after you've played it for a while.

TUNING: My Elfsong is beautifully in tune with itself...there's no note I feel I have to over- or under-blow to bring it into tune. Like most tunables, it's slightly sharp with the headpiece pushed all the way down (and this too is consistent throughout both octaves...it doesn't get squirelly on you if you like to play it a bit sharp or flat)...pull the headpiece out about 1/4 inch and you've got concert pitch (I do have to say here that I don't have an electronic tuner, but I keep my piano in good tune, and 1/4 inch puts the whistle nicely in tune with that). The tuning slide is nice and long, which allows for plenty of adjustment...you shouldn't have any difficulty getting the whistle in tune with other instruments, if that's your inclination.

TONE AND TIMBRE: "How does it sound?" This is what everyone most wants to know, and, I think, the hardest thing to describe. This whistle has a truly lovely voice...I would describe it as "seductive." It is a pure-toned whistle (very little chiff, and no noise of escaping air), and it definitely has a whistle's character...you won't mistake it for a recorder or flute. Where it differs from my other whistles is in its distinctive timbre, or "texture." The best comparison I can think of comes from the world of choral music: If I were to compare it to my O Briain "improved," the "improved" is like a boy treble...pure, sweet and delicate. The Elfsong is like a mature, well-trained female soprano...also pure and sweet, but with a resonance, warmth and richness that is particularly its own. I find it particularly lovely in slow airs, where I can let let the long notes ring out...that's where its unique character really shines (though it does very well for faster tunes too).

Another nice feature is that tone and timbre are consistent all the way through the second octave...even on C natural, which can sound a bit "windy" (no matter how you finger it) on some whistles, and on high B, which is pleasant, and not at all piercing. If you hesitate to play up in the second octave because you don't like shrill or windy notes, this whistle will cure you of that :smile:.

RESPONSIVENESS AND "PLAYABILITY": This whistle takes ornamentation well...the grace notes flick out cleanly and clearly, with none of the "muddiness" I've encountered in some whistles. One really nice characteristic is its responsiveness to breath pressure. I believe it was Serpent who noted that you can blow a note slightly sharp or flat on an Elfsong, which allows for some interesting "colorization." One thing I've noted is that you can "grow" a long note in the same way you do when you're singing...leaning into it slightly as you hold it...another nice feature for those who like to play slow airs. It's also very easy to achieve a slight vibrato using your diaphragm...much easier than I've found with my other whistles. The more accomplished player especially will find this a very expressive instrument.

That does mean that you have to exercise some breath control with this whistle...if you're used to a whistle that requires a lot of air, especially in the high notes, you're going to want to practice a bit, or you will end up playing sharp. The second octave is very stable...you don't need to wail on it to keep it from dropping out from under you. Once you've got that idea down, you'll find yourself enjoying playing "up" very much indeed.

A couple of other notes: This whistle really likes the OXXXOO fingering for C natural. This will give you a very nice, true, C natural. Other configurations don't work well. One thing I've had to train myself out of is dropping the little finger on my right hand when playing Cnat (OXXXOX)...that definitely flattens the note. In fact, dropping the little finger on most notes will flatten them. This may seem like a disadvantage at first (until you learn that it's just as easy to drop that little finger to one side or below the hole), but it also allows for some interesting cross-fingering techniques for accidentals.

BREATH REQUIREMENTS: You don't need a lot of air to play this whistle. I'd put it on a par with the O Briain "improved" in that respect. One nice feature that I haven't encountered before on "low breath" whistles is that the bell note is very stable...it doesn't tend to squeek on you if you overblow it (it may go a little sharp, but time and practice will take care of that).

VOLUME: This is a fairly quiet whistle. It does, however, seem to carry better than other quiet whistles, perhaps because of that distinctive timbre. I usually play solo, so I can't speak for how well it would hold up in a session (and I haven't had the chance yet to take it to Morris practice and see how it fares against bells and sticks). Perhaps others here who have Elfsongs and have played in groups can address this issue in more depth. It doesn't whisper...it's really a fine soloist's instrument...but whether it will cut through a room full of fiddles, concertinas, mandolins and bodhrans remains to be seen :smile:

A NOTE ON CLOGGING: I rather expected this whistle to be a bad clogger, but it's actually much better than my O Briain "improved" in that respect, so long as I'm careful to warm it up to body temperature before playing. I warm it up and play a few practice scales or a simple warm up tune...it clogs once, I clear it, and that's the end of it for quite a while (even outdoors!). If it's properly warm, I can get through several sets without a problem...a definite "plus" in my book.

CUSTOMER SERVICE: What can I say? Sandy's great to work with, and she clearly (and justifiably) takes pride in her product. Don't hesitate at all on this score.

IN SUM: I am very happy with my purchase, and recommend the Elfsong whistle without reservation. It is forgiving enough to make a satisfying "first high-end" whistle for the intermediate player, but its responsiveness and nuances will make it a challenge and a pleasure for the experienced player as well. Two thumbs up.

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
2nd Wind
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by 2nd Wind »

Redwolf...I don't know what to say. That is one heck of a review! Let me tell you I am taking the whole salt shaker with me on your words. You are absolutely right about how those whistles look...most are very beautiful. You can tell Sandy takes a lot of pride in them. Based on your review and after visiting her website, I am definately gonna make my first "high-end" purchase from her. And oh boy I can't wait! I'm thinking the Black Marble one =o). You should have been one of those 4 reviews she chose to post on her website definately. When I contact her for my purchase I will tell her I am buying one of her whistles because of you and your praise of them. I would also like to include your review with my purchase order. All of this with your permission of course. I'm sure she would appreciate your words =). If not, then I'll just say "you came highly recommended from a fellow C&F friend". Anyways, thanks Red....I wish there were more reviews like this around that breaks it down so well. I want a more "hefty" whistle now...this Walton's Guinness aluminum is a little power pack, but it's not gonna do the trick forever. I think I'm ready to hang with the big dogs!!
The woven wood beckons...
- Uriah
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

This is so simple: I agree!

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
Redwolf

Post by Redwolf »

On 2002-12-05 16:26, 2nd Wind wrote:
Redwolf...I don't know what to say. That is one heck of a review! Let me tell you I am taking the whole salt shaker with me on your words. You are absolutely right about how those whistles look...most are very beautiful. You can tell Sandy takes a lot of pride in them. Based on your review and after visiting her website, I am definately gonna make my first "high-end" purchase from her. And oh boy I can't wait! I'm thinking the Black Marble one =o). You should have been one of those 4 reviews she chose to post on her website definately. When I contact her for my purchase I will tell her I am buying one of her whistles because of you and your praise of them. I would also like to include your review with my purchase order. All of this with your permission of course. I'm sure she would appreciate your words =). If not, then I'll just say "you came highly recommended from a fellow C&F friend". Anyways, thanks Red....I wish there were more reviews like this around that breaks it down so well. I want a more "hefty" whistle now...this Walton's Guinness aluminum is a little power pack, but it's not gonna do the trick forever. I think I'm ready to hang with the big dogs!!
Sure...feel free to quote me. You may want to do a search on "Elfsong" here at C&F as well...there have been a lot of nice reviews of this whistle in the past several months.

Yes, the black marble is very pretty. All the colors are, really. I had a hard time choosing. I'm not a "flashy" person, and I hesitated at first about getting a painted one at all (in fact, my original order was for a natural copper D tube and a "Starry Night" C...I changed it when the new pics went up and I saw the "Emerald Gold"). The nice thing is, there's a color for about every taste. I waffled quite a bit between the Emerald Gold, the Fall Flurry, and the white one with black marbling...I finally went with Emerald Gold because it reminds me of the sunlight on the redwood trees in the early morning :smile:. In fact, that's one of my whistle's names (it has two, since it wears two faces): "Morningsong". When it's wearing the "Starry Night" tube it's "Evensong."

Redwolf
Blackbeer

Post by Blackbeer »

Well Redwolf that is one heck of a review. I down loaded there sound sample(I think they were playing in the bathroom also) and the sound was just what I would like my playing to sound like. Anyway I am saving my pennies and will make the Elfsong my first "high end whistle"
Now to choose a color. Oh well maybe by the time I decide I will have the money or damn the torpedoes and break out the plastic. :
Tend the garden don`t recreate it
Zubivka

Post by Zubivka »

Clean, acurate, structured, factual.

In one word : bravo!

(I could even get the OT latin :roll: )

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Zubivka on 2002-12-05 19:20 ]</font>
C4

Post by C4 »

What a great review, thanks Redwolf..I am going to get me an Elfsong one of these days..And I definitly cant wait...
Ridseard

Post by Ridseard »

They are certainly gorgeous whistles, but I wish I could hear a sound clip without so much electronic reverb. It's hard to tell what it really sounds like from the sample on their web site.
Redwolf

Post by Redwolf »

The sound clip really isn't far off. Other than adding a bit of an echo, the reverb doesn't seem to alter the sound much.

Unfortunately, I've never been able to get my mike to work, or I'd post a clip. Maybe someone else will oblige.

Redwolf
Sandy Jasper

Post by Sandy Jasper »

I just want to say thanks to Redwolf for an amazingly thorough review! And to everyone else for the kind comments. It sure makes it worth while to go back into the workshop and get out the tools!

Sandy
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

Great review Redwolf. And great looking whistles. Oh no, not another attack of WhOOOAA!
nickt

Post by nickt »

Sheesh - I'm going to have to get one of these things! Great review Redwolf, and at the risk of sounding utterly crass, I am a great fan of quality written English, and you got me hook line and sinker with your writing!
madguy

Post by madguy »

Redwolf, now you've got me anxiously looking forward to the arrival of my Elfsong in Pumpkin's Fancy!!!! :grin:

~Larry
Roger O'Keeffe

Post by Roger O'Keeffe »

Great review.

I must resist, I must resist, I must resist....
An Pluiméir Ceolmhar
madguy

Post by madguy »

Resistance is futile.... :=)

~Larry