"On Making a Ha'p'ny Whistle," a monograph by Sam Hinton

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Jumper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

"On Making a Ha'p'ny Whistle," a monograph by Sam Hinton

Post by Jumper »

Sam Hinton was an inspiration in my musical life, and between the 1950s and his death in 2009 introduced thousands of children and their families to a world of folk music and instruments. He was a multi-talented man, a scientist, teacher, calligrapher, writer, singer, and multi-instrumentalist, and a fixture of the folk music scene in San Diego for many decades. Around 1960, he was the first person I saw play a whistle, and I knew immediately that this was something I could and would do. It took a few years before I actually took up the instrument myself, but by 1980 I was not only playing, but making my own whistles. In about 1990, I helped produce a concert for Sam, and gave him a whistle I had made for him, whereupon he immediately gave me one he had made, and used the one I gave him in his performance that evening. I keep the one he gave me just above my desk, and play it often.

Sam often performed at festivals, and whenever he had an opportunity, he would also give workshops demonstrating how to make a whistle from a piece of garden hose and a dowel. He affectionately dubbed this instrument the Ha'p'ny Whistle, and taught many hundreds of aspiring whistle players that they could make an instrument for themselves for almost nothing. He brought along supplies and instructions, handed them out to all comers, and everyone went home with a whistle for themselves.

I recently came across my copy of these instructions, gleaned from a workshop at the first CTMS Solstice Festival in the early 1980s at Greystone Mansion in Beverly Hills. I have received permission from Sam's family to redistribute this delightful little monograph, in hopes that more people will become aware of Sam's contributions and achievements, and will continue the legacy of home-made music that he loved and encouraged.

Sam's family continues to maintain a website in his honor. Please visit to learn more about this amazing man, and hear some clips of his music.

I think it would be great to hear an audio clip from anyone that makes a whistle from these instructions, so feel free to reply with a link if you do.

I've posted a pdf of this treatise for anyone inclined to download and print a copy for themselves here.

Jonathan

Help, Help! I'm being repressed...
Kypfer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Re: "On Making a Ha'p'ny Whistle," a monograph by Sam Hinton

Post by Kypfer »

Neat ... thank you ... but there is a mis-print in paragraph 7.

3/16" is nearer 4 (or 5) millimetres, not 14
"I'm playing all the right notes—but not necessarily in the right order."
Jumper

Post by Jumper »

Kypfer wrote:there is a mis-print in paragraph 7. 3/16" is nearer 4 (or 5) millimetres, not 14
You're right, the tube on my Ha'p'ny whistle is just over 17mm. A 14mm hole would be bigger than the bore of the instrument.

I'm sure he meant 4mm. All you Ha'p'ny Whistle builders, take heed!
Jonathan

AngeloMeola
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I haven't been active on the site for years. I'm busy raising grandkids so I don't get out to play much.

Post by AngeloMeola »

I remember that festival at Greystone. I remember Sam saying that he had a facination with tubes that played music. During the set up, I saw him try using the mike stand as an instrument.

I have a couple of his recordings. I haven't been able to listen to them for years, but I am converting my records to cds and finding lots of music I forgot about.

Angelo
Jumper

Post by Jumper »

I still have some of Sam's LPs that my parents bought me in the '60s too. He was quite an engaging performer, wasn't he? His huge repertoire never ceased to amaze me, and his mastery of so many instruments was inspiring. I loved his hands-free harmonica technique, which was always a great crowd-pleaser.

Most (or perhaps all?) of his record catalog is still available in CD format, and I recommend The Library of Congress Recordings, recorded in 1947 but released for the first time quite recently on a German label. All of the available discs can be found here:

http://www.samhinton.org/ordering.html
Jonathan

weedie

Post by weedie »

Thanks for sharing this Jumper :thumbsup: very nice of you..
I'll have to investigate Sams Music and life.....I've not heard of him before today ..
" Quiet is quite nice " ..... weedie .....