1st Whistle__need advice

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
NewGuy
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

1st Whistle__need advice

Post by NewGuy »

I am new here..in case my handle didn't give it away. I have decided to take up the tin whistle and need some advice on what to purchase. A little background on me.....I come from a musical background. I played clarinet in HS and went to college on a music scholarship. Sadly, I have not picked up my clarinet in quite some time and I am looking for something new to get me back into playing music. I have recently fallen in love with Trad Irish music, so I thought a tin whistle would be a good place to start.

I have read as much as I could find on the internet about different whistle types, and I can't seem to find a consensus as to what whistle most people prefer. I know I want a D whistle. Also, given my woodwing background, I prefer a whistle that has a more airy/woody/mellow sound rather than a shrill "bright" whistle.
I know most whistles are relatively inexpensive, so anything under $50 USD would be fine.

I was almost set to get a Clarke Original, but then read that the wooden mouthpiece means the instrument will not last long......and there is the fact that it cannot be tuned...... I have also considered a Dixon Trad and an Oak.

Given my background with woodwind intruments, I am not too concerned about being able to develop the correct ambucture or breath technique. I am sure it will take some practice, but I am not necessarily looking for the "easiest, most forgiving" whistle to play.

Basically, I want a nice, mellow sounding traditional whistle that will last a while. I would appreciate yoru thoughts and suggestions.

Thanks.
Clarinetcat

Re: 1st Whistle__need advice

Post by Clarinetcat »

NewGuy wrote:I am new here...
I know I want a D whistle.
I prefer a whistle that has a more airy/woody/mellow sound...

First of all, welcome. :D

For a nice mellow D whistle, give the Freeman Mellow Dog a try. :thumbsup:

Edit: Send Jerry a message, he's a member here.
memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=1845
Time is a great teacher.
Unfortunately, it kills all its pupils.

- Hector Berlioz
mutepointe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by mutepointe »

Buy a couple of cheap whistle of different materials and characteristics and maybe keys. You'll save money on the delivery charges if you're ordering on-line. Keep each whistle in a different place all over the place, car, kitchen, backpack, livingroom. Play them all and get to know them. Then you'll see what you like and what you can do over time.

I'm not even going to comment on the fact that you haven't picked up your clarient in some time. OK, maybe one comment. Did you forget how fun it is to make music?
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
NewGuy

Post by NewGuy »

mutepointe wrote:I'm not even going to comment on the fact that you haven't picked up your clarient in some time. OK, maybe one comment. Did you forget how fun it is to make music?
kind of a long story behind that. I dropped my music major in college out of frustration after my prof told me I would never make it as a musician because while I was "very technically proficient," I had to work too hard (according to him) and wasn't "a natural" and just "didn't get it." I didn't touch my clarinet for a year after that. I then started smoking and doing a lot of other bad things not conducive to playing....., etc., etc. I then grew up and got a job with very little free time. Now that I am married and have a job with some free time, and stopped smoking, I finally picked it up again last year, but I could barely remember how to play any of my music and got very frustrated because I remember how good I once was. I still try and pick it up, but it is not "fun" anymore. I want to play Weber again, but am lucky to make it through some basic swing tunes.

I thought trying something new where I have no playing expectations might renew my interest in music (and confidence) and get me over my mental hump.
Thomaston

Post by Thomaston »

I don't think the Dixon Trad would get you the sound you're looking for. I would also recommend the Mellow Dog, or maybe a Susato*.

*I've only played one Susato. It was a fantastic, easy-playing whistle, but after reading others views on here, I wonder if the Susato I played differs from the typical. There's my caveat.
Clarinetcat

Post by Clarinetcat »

NewGuy wrote:I want to play Weber again, but am lucky to make it through some basic swing tunes.
Weber is over-rated. :wink:

Just get back into clarinet with some of the duets from the Rubank Vol II... they are fun as heck, even by yourself. 8)
Time is a great teacher.
Unfortunately, it kills all its pupils.

- Hector Berlioz
tucson_whistler
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by tucson_whistler »

Freeman whistles are great; and right in your price range...

if you want to avoid shrillness, i would recommend 2 things... one, get a wooden whistle. they, for me, tend to be much less shrill and softer on the ears.

they tend to be more expensive than your proscribed budget though (i'm not sure who told you "most" whistles are relatively inexpensive--they start around $8 but if you want a Copeland they're going new on ebay right now for $340, and a Chris Abell blackwood D whistle is a 6-month wait and costs $450... i guess everything is relative though :)

so recommendation #2 would be to also pick up a whistle in a lower key... even dropping down to a C whistle makes a big difference in the potential for shrillness. :) or the regular Bb Gen whistle is pretty decent all by itself, or you can get the souped-up Freeman version. :)

after that it's just practice... you can overblow any whistle and make it sound shrill until you work at it.

good luck,
eric
Sindt D | Gene Milligan blackwood D | Burke low D | Olwell keyless blackwood Eb/D/C flute
http://shakespeareanreview.com/
mickey66
Tell us something.: I am a Professional Musician in Phx, Az. Lived in Calif(Hollywood) for about 10 years(1970's) working in the studios and on the road with stars of the day. Started to follow my roots which took me back to the old country and the Irish Tin Whistle. I wound up here on C&F forum!

Post by mickey66 »

Clarinetcat wrote:
NewGuy wrote:I am new here...
I know I want a D whistle.
I prefer a whistle that has a more airy/woody/mellow sound...

First of all, welcome. :D

For a nice mellow D whistle, give the Freeman Mellow Dog a try. :thumbsup:

Edit: Send Jerry a message, he's a member here.
memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=1845
+1 Most of Jerry's whistle's would be good starter's Hmmm.....Black- Bird is not easy to play for a noob but you do have a back ground with a woodwind instrument it is more bird-like in sound. I really like his Gen-Dog whistle and as well as the Mellow Dog....can't go wrong with either JMHO I bought his D/C pak which is a great deal from the Irish Flute Store....I put a green Walton head from a Walton Mellow D Irish Whistle on Jerry's Brass C tube and it's a great Whistle BUT so is the Walton Mellow D Whistle and now I can change back and forth....Dig? :wink: All kinds of things you can do with these great Whistle's!!
Last edited by mickey66 on Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:07 am, edited 3 times in total.
Hotblack

Post by Hotblack »

NewGuy wrote:Basically, I want a nice, mellow sounding traditional whistle that will last a while. I would appreciate yoru thoughts and suggestions.

Thanks.
IMHO that means either the Dixon Trad or a Freeman Mellow Dog as the most readily available and reasonably priced whistles.

For me the Susato (as good as it is) is too loud and shrill, especially in the upper octave.
Cheers

David

I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

Please let us know when playing music gets fun for you again. Play for children, that speeds things along.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
NewGuy

Post by NewGuy »

Thanks for the tips. I went to the local music store last night and all they had was the Gen whistles, which all had some sticky goo on them and did not look very well put together.

I wound up order the D/C mellow dog package online.

Also, while at the music store, I bought soem x-mas music and my wife (piano) and I did some x-mas tunes last night. I really DID forget how much I enjoy playing (although transposing on the fly is still the same pain as I remember it.)

I'll check back when my stuff arrives and let everyone know what I think.

Thanks again for the advice and encouragement.
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Consider yourself lucky if you could find Gens in your local shop. That's often not the case here in the States.

Hard to imagine what that goo is. The brass tubes are lacquered, but it shouldn't be gooey. If there's glue showing beneath the whistle head, that doesn't matter because you're going to want to remove the head and glue anyway to make the whistle tunable.

I think every aspiring trad whistle player needs to master the demands of a Gen or Gen-type whistle. The Mellow Dog and other Freeman whistles fall into that category, and are a good choice. But if you have access to a genuine stock Generation, don't pass it up.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
mickey66
Tell us something.: I am a Professional Musician in Phx, Az. Lived in Calif(Hollywood) for about 10 years(1970's) working in the studios and on the road with stars of the day. Started to follow my roots which took me back to the old country and the Irish Tin Whistle. I wound up here on C&F forum!

Post by mickey66 »

You are gonna dip the Gen whistle-head in a cup of hot water(15-20 secs) and twist it off and clean off all the glue(on the brass tube and whistle head) and replace it with cork-grease so you can tune the whistle.....chapstick will work as well :wink: You can buy Gen whistles online as well and some of the orig. ones sound great but they don't compare with Jerry Freeman whistle's in Playability JMHO :wink: Jerry sells on ebay and you can contact him here on this forum.....he is a member here. He also sells on the Irish Flute store.... http://shop.irishflutestore.com/ Doc is a good person to deal with! Good Luck!!! :D
NewGuy

Post by NewGuy »

my clarke celtic arrives today and my mellowdog comes tommorrow. cant wait to try them out!
hoopy mike

Post by hoopy mike »

NewGuy wrote:my clarke celtic arrives today and my mellowdog comes tommorrow. cant wait to try them out!
Ooh, that Clarke Sweetone slipped under the radar there. It'll be interesting to hear what you make of it - they tend to evoke strong reactions (both positive and negative) here. I started on a Clarke Celtic Sweetone (actually the "Celtic" bit just refers to the paint-job, underneath it's a Sweetone) and it remains my favourite cheapie, where I take "cheapie" to mean an unmodified Feadog, Walton's, Generation and so on. I moved on to a Dixon Trad a while ago (which I don't consider to be a "cheapie") and I love it, but I still pick up the Sweetone from time to time.

Have fun!