whistlesmiths and all please help!

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
drdagmar
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by drdagmar »

Hi all, last friday I have spoiled my favorite whistle...It is an alloy body with a wooden plug and just minutes before the busiest session of the year started the plug got disconnected and fell down into the whistle. So silly me tried to fix it using superglue (arrrgh) and when I tried to push it into the right position it got fixed...in the wrong position !!!!:-(((( So, does anybody have a good idea how to undo a connection made with superglue apart from drilling that plug out of the whistle ??? (boiling water does not work so far...)
All ideas apart fromsomething that will destroy alloy or wood are welcome (and it´s just a few days that Conal O´Grade from Scoiltrad commented on the nice tone of that whistle :sad:(( )
Desperate, hating myself, Dagmar
Anej

Post by Anej »

So sorry to hear about your whistle Dagmar.

When people glue their fingers together with superglue, some doctors try nail polish REMOVER (a chemical called acetone) first.

I have no idea what this will do to wood or alloy.

Maybe somebody else does? Or, perhaps you can find this information out on the internet?

Wish I had something more helpful for you.
mike.r

Post by mike.r »

Dagmar,superglue doesnt bond that well with alloy. Try inserting a length of wood dowel from the end of the whistle...a few light taps against the block should free it without further damage.If the plug is not damaged,remove the superglue and reinstall it with a little 5 min epoxy and you'll be right for the next session.:smile: Mike
Reyburnwhistles

Post by Reyburnwhistles »

Dagmar, there is a product made called de-bonder that will dissolve superglue. Try applying it to both sides of the plug and push it out with a dowell.
Good luck
Ronaldo
vaporlock

Post by vaporlock »

Dagmar,
Hmmm....all of the above suggestions have been good ones, and one of them will probably work. If all else fails, try popping the whistle in the freezer for an hour or two. Then try tapping the block out as Mike suggested, or try running it under hot tap water...the metal should expand quickly, hopefully breaking the bond???

Good luck,
Eric
drdagmar

Post by drdagmar »

Hi guys,
thank you so much for all the tips !!! Mike, I tried to tap it and not only a bit, obviously I have done a good glueing job as it seems to be glued there for eternity..., well first of all I will give the freezer a go when I come home from work today (guessed already that might be worth a try) and if this will not work its the nail-polish remover, as I could not find any remover for superglue in the shops here (Germany is very different from the states in many ways...) Thanks for all your help, I will keep you informed, Dagmar

Post by Guest »

On 2002-11-24 15:14, mike.r wrote:
Dagmar,superglue doesnt bond that well with alloy. Try inserting a length of wood dowel from the end of the whistle...a few light taps against the block should free it without further damage.If the plug is not damaged,remove the superglue and reinstall it with a little 5 min epoxy and you'll be right for the next session.:smile: Mike
This is the way forward Dagmar, but try soaking the whistle in water for a couple days first.
If all fails you can send it to me, and I will sort it for you FRE of charge!
Stace
brewerpaul
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

Don't know if this will work on superglue, but it works on epoxy. You can heat the head of the whistle carefully with one of those mini-butane torches. With epoxy, this destroys the glue bond.
If all else fails, the fipple could be drilled out and a new one made...
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
Tony
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

That 'was' his favorite whistle...

Post by Guest »

[quote]
On 2002-11-25 07:28, brewerpaul wrote:
Don't know if this will work on superglue, but it works on epoxy. You can heat the head of the whistle carefully with one of those mini-butane torches. With epoxy, this destroys the glue bond.
If all else fails, the fipple could be drilled out and a new one made...
Good thinking that will do the trick, just heat it untill you smell the glue burning.
serpent

Post by serpent »

A .45cal Colt projectile fired down the barrel is absolutely guaranteed to remove the fipple!

Do remember to not be holding the whistle in your hand when you do this!

Good luck! :grin:
serp
Add yourself to the Serpent Newsletter!
Send email to serpent@serpentmusic.com subject "add"
Zubivka

Post by Zubivka »

buffalo Bill, remember it's a post originating from Germany ? I mean like Europe where our hardware stores can't even be expected to carry cyanacrilate solvent.
So where do you expect us to buy .45's ??? Now, if you had suggested AK-47 that could be arranged through Poland :smile:
But even this is a no go : OK you shoot a Kalashnikov round, then what ? We don't even have beef jerky around to make a new plug.
serpent

Post by serpent »

I'll send my grandson over with his mini-marshmallow blowgun, then! He can certainly make the cats jump, so maybe he's got enough wind-power to knock out that pesky fipple!
:grin:
serpent
Mack.Hoover

Post by Mack.Hoover »

Acetone won't harm the wood or the metal. Soak it overnight if necessary in enough to cover the whole end. Just using a little evaporates quicker than it can dissolve the glue. You have to tap hard on the dowel,too.
Extreme measures for extreme disasters.
But not as extreme as some have suggested.

Five minute epoxy is also correct, because it gives you time to locate the plug properly and fills the space left by shrinking wood, but you don't have to wait long for it to dry.
Acetone will also dissolve epoxy and clean away the excess. By the way, apply only to the plug so you won't be pushing any into the tube ahead of the plug, and keep it off the windway surface.
We can get acetone in small containers at paint or hardware stores.
Mack
Mack.Hoover

Post by Mack.Hoover »

I should qualify my statement that acetone won't harm wood. Wood cells contain cellulose, which is somewhat soluble in acetone. The harm will be minimal.