Cocobolo the BEVERAGE? OT, but interesting . . .

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
sturob
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by sturob »

OK, ok, ok. So I'm not all that weird, but let me give you my train of thought first.

I was sitting here at the computer drinking my morning gourd of yerba mate when I thought to myself, "Hmm. Sometimes drinking vessels for yerba are made from a South American timber called "Palo santo" (Bursera graveolens). So, I did what any avid 'net-user would do, I entered "Palo santo" into Google. And I came up with the weirdest site, Cielo Ethnobotanicals. I learned that palo santo is a fragrant timber used in Amazon cultures as incense during healing ceremonies. Interesting!

So I wandered further around the site, and imagine my surprise when I found this catalog entry. Cocobolo (Schinopsis peruviana) is an ingredient in a beverage with all kinds of claims, not the least of which being euphoria and aphrodisia(!).

Being one of those folks who's always looking out for an interesting timber with an eye for those which would make good woodwind timbers, I find this information incredibly interesting. I guess I never suspected that these timbers (such as cocobolo) might have roles in ethnobotany. Or even be aphrodisiacs! Who knew?

Something to remember when looking for that funky new timber for your whistle or flute.

Stuart
mike.r
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by mike.r »

I'm not how good"7 roots" would be for my arthritis but it sure sounds like fun!;) Mike
Wombat
antispam: No

Post by Wombat »

Lots of substances lead a double life. And while we're rooting around, consider manioc:

http://www.globalgourmet.com/destinatio ... ssava.html

That stuff won't do your arthritis any good either Mike.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Wombat on 2002-11-24 23:03 ]</font>