Grey Larsen's "The Essential..." Books Question

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Cron-Z
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Grey Larsen's "The Essential..." Books Question

Post by Cron-Z »

A few months ago, I got my hands on "The Essential Guide to Irish Flute and Tin Whistle" since back then I was leaning more towards the Irish Flute (I have a wonderful Tipple Flute) with some Whistle playing on the side. My musical focus has then changed to the Whistle as my main instrument.

While reading a chapter, there was a mention about the other book that made me think of something. Am I missing out on some information that would in "The Essential Tin Whistle Toolbox" but not in the one I have, or am I pretty much safe?
Steve Bliven

Re: Grey Larsen's "The Essential..." Books Question

Post by Steve Bliven »

There have been a number of references to the whistle toolbox here. You can use to search function to ferret them out - might help answer your question.

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
tucson_whistler
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by tucson_whistler »

i have the essential tin whistle book, but not the flute and whistle book, so i don't have both to compare, but if you have something specific in mind i can tell you if it's in the the whistle book.

there are 15 chapters in 4 sections: first matters; ornamentation; tonguing, phrasing, and use of the breath; and final matters. the final matters" section has 2 chapters, "the language analogy revisited" and "practice revisited, and some thoughts on muscle memory."

is that pretty close to what is in your book? i would also be interested to know, i've been thinking about getting that one as well.
Sindt D | Gene Milligan blackwood D | Burke low D | Olwell keyless blackwood Eb/D/C flute
http://shakespeareanreview.com/
Hotblack

Post by Hotblack »

I'm not sure if this will help but scroll down to find the two books described.
http://www.bigwhistle.co.uk/shop_result ... 7&search=1

Strangely, I've just ordered the Toolbox book today.
Cheers

David

I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.
squidgirl

Post by squidgirl »

I own both but haven't done an intensive side by side comparison, and the flute book is generally an expansion of thw whistle book. So if you have the flute book already, most of the whistle book would be (verbatim) repeated material.
cephalopods => weirdly intelligent
StefD
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by StefD »

By the way: Most content of both books you can read at "google books".....
Stefan

'...whatever went in as a tradition, comes out as a tradition.'

http://www.crosswind-music.de
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

squidgirl wrote:I own both but haven't done an intensive side by side comparison, and the flute book is generally an expansion of thw whistle book. So if you have the flute book already, most of the whistle book would be (verbatim) repeated material.
Yes, I think that's right. I don't own either, but have looked at both. IIRC, the toolbox is basically a subset, and the extra flute material, transcriptions, etc. in the larger book struck me as worthwhile in the long run if you're going to own one of these. So, Cron-Z, you are safe. :-)
DerElligh wrote:By the way: Most content of both books you can read at "google books".....
No, sorry, that's wrong, as far as I can see. There is no preview for the Essential Guide. Of the Toolbox, the first 43 pages (of 192) can be previewed. This is the introductory material only, and not a substitute for a copy of the book.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Cron-Z

Post by Cron-Z »

tucson_whistler wrote:there are 15 chapters in 4 sections: first matters; ornamentation; tonguing, phrasing, and use of the breath; and final matters. the final matters" section has 2 chapters, "the language analogy revisited" and "practice revisited, and some thoughts on muscle memory."

is that pretty close to what is in your book? i would also be interested to know, i've been thinking about getting that one as well.
Very close.

Section 1: First Matters
Section 2: The Instruments
Section 3: Ornamentation
Section 4: Phrasing, Articulation, and Use of the Breath
Section 5: Final Matters
Section 6: Forty-Nine Studies for Ornamentation Practice
Section 7: Complete Versions of Excerpted Tunes
Section 8: Great Performances Transcribed (this section is AWESOME)
Appendixes and other stuff...

Thanks everyone. I was just worried that the other book was much more different than 'expected'.

With all your information, I now know I got the 'bigger' book of the two :P...
JayDoc

Post by JayDoc »

Not to whip a dead horse, but I have both. I believe the bigger flute and whistle book contains everything that's in the essential whistle toolbox, plus additional material on both flute and whistle. I probably should sell my Essential Whistle book at this point. I think the bigger book may also contain some full song music, etc. not in the Essential Toolbox that is sold separately. I'm not 100% sure of that, but I think that's the case, so if you have the full flute/whistle book, you might do a close comparison before buying the additional (full songs material--book/cd). Not intended as negative--these are very thorough, highlly informative books, imho.
Best,
JD
Cron-Z

Post by Cron-Z »

Checking the Table of Content from the preview (either on Amazon or Google Books), I'm pretty sure you're right.
littleblue

Post by littleblue »

here's a description of the differences from his website
http://www.greylarsen.com/store/bookdiff.php

Sounds like if you've already got a reasonable start to playing the whistle there wouldn't be a reason to have the toolbox book.
celticmodes
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by celticmodes »

DerElligh wrote:By the way: Most content of both books you can read at "google books".....
I noticed that a few months ago and email Grey to let him know. I think they changed it to the preview type.
celticmodes
[Reviol 8 key | Oz Vambrace | Dusty Strings Ravenna | Luna Trinity Parlor]
Jason Paul

Post by Jason Paul »

I can't imagine wanting any more information than what is in the big book. :o

Jason
FJohnSharp
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

I have 'The Essential Guide...' and I cannot imagine what more a book could have.
jkrazy52
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by jkrazy52 »

Quite some time ago I ordered both books from The Whistle Shop. Thom emailed to double check my order and to tell me that I didn't need both books. All that was in the tinwhistle toolbox was in the Essential Guide for flute & tinwhistle. I thanked him for the information and for great customer care in checking. (Toolbox was a gift, the other the keeper.)