American fiddle tunes

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
R Small
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Re: American fiddle tunes

Post by R Small »

I saw a show on PBS a while back that was a tribute to bluegrass banjoist Earl Scruggs. Among the guest musicians were the Chieftains. I remember at one point Paddy Maloney playing a very nice penny whistle solo on the old mountain tune Sally Goodin (had sweet pie, had sweet puddin'...). I think penny whistle can fit in very well in a bluegrass or string band context if given a chance.
whistlegal
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by whistlegal »

Actually, around 4 or 5 years ago, the Chieftains did a tour called Down the Old Plank Road where they incorporated a number of bluegrass tunes, musicians, and vocalists. That show is available on DVD and there is also a CD.
Thomaston

Post by Thomaston »

whistlegal wrote:Actually, around 4 or 5 years ago, the Chieftains did a tour called Down the Old Plank Road where they incorporated a number of bluegrass tunes, musicians, and vocalists. That show is available on DVD and there is also a CD.
That is a great album, one of the better examples of "hydridization" I've heard. That was actually one of my earlier exposures to Irish music and instrumentation, as prior to that my main interest was old time and bluegrass. I actually bought the album during a Bela Fleck faze, since he's on a track or two.
whistlegal

Post by whistlegal »

I actually had the pleasure of catching this show live over in Boone, NC - minus a few of the guests featured on the DVD. It was an amazing show.
whistlegal

Post by whistlegal »

Also, worthy of mention: The DVD, which runs about 2 hrs, has significantly more material to sample.
R Small
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by R Small »

Nice to see Bela Fleck mentioned. One of my favorite musicians (and a very nice cat to boot). Bela can fit in with (and has played) just about every type of music on the planet from bluegrass and old-timey to modern jazz.
cj

Post by cj »

Get The Fifer's Delight by Ralph Sweet. This tune book is a gold mine of old-time American, some Irish, and folk tunes dating back 150+ years or more. They're written mostly in D or G, but you can play them on an A whistle if you like. Fifes are usually played in Bb, but the book can be used for whistles, flutes, recorders, or whatever instrument/key you prefer.